Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Pat Brosnon

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Isn't this thread a little narcissistic?
was your comment really necessary? i'm here to help people, not to put them down. you should be doing the same thing seeing that you're a team driver. just because i don't have sponsors listed on my signiture you turn my thread into a negative. don't be quick to judge others until you get to know them. just know that i'm giving advise to those that need my help. i'm not the type to jump around all the threads give my .02
Old 02-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Re: Re: Battery charging

Originally posted by Mike D

Why has track testing proved that charging a battery at 6 amps produces better lap times compared to a 4-5 amp charge in stock and 19T? Why do I have batteries that work well after 2 years of use charging at six amps? Apparently your 20 year experience hasn't helped you with recent battery technology.

Your information regarding dead shorting is also incomplete. The general trend is for IR to decrease, voltage to increase and runtime to drop. However, dead shorting will greatly help some packs, do nothing with respect to internal and voltage on other packs and degrade the performance on other packs. It is a hit or miss process and should only be done on freshly matched cells.

Maybe your advice will improve with motor building and suspension questions.
mike D, i agree, i thought of pat brosnan, "who is he?" but after reading what you said, you're practically quoting him, of course in different words. deadshorting i'm sure works differently on different types of batteries, maybe he was referring to the latest batteries, not the two year batteries you have. i can charge my batteries at 10amps but only use them twice a year, then i can say my batteries are good for two years, maybe three, maybe five. i think he is talking about frequent battery use
Old 02-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Battery charging

Originally posted by tectron
mike D, i agree, i thought of pat brosnan, "who is he?" but after reading what you said, you're practically quoting him, of course in different words. deadshorting i'm sure works differently on different types of batteries, maybe he was referring to the latest batteries, not the two year batteries you have. i can charge my batteries at 10amps but only use them twice a year, then i can say my batteries are good for two years, maybe three, maybe five. i think he is talking about frequent battery use

Old 02-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Isn't this thread a little narcissistic?
yeah, i've never heard of Harris batteries, then i should have something like tectron motors and say i'm a team driver. the funniest part is that i just your are not sponsored by novak, and if you were sponsored by xray, there is no way in hell they would let you run Hairy batteries.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Old 02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Battery charging

tectron - My point was that dead shorting is may not be the best thing for a budget minded racer. Dead shorting can potentially harm the cells. There is no guarantee that the cells will get better. It is a BAD idea to start dead shorting older packs. Dead shorting relys on a pack acting as a pack. The match of the cells in a pack drift over time and it simply is not advisable to start dead shorting at this time. My comment was just a word of caution.

My 2 year old packs that have been charged at 6 amps for the life of the packs have been run 20-50 times. I can't compare them to 2 year old packs charged at 4-5 amps because I don't have any. patbrosnon said that this would "destroy your batteries" and it is simply not true. I loan batteries to other racers all the time and make sure they charge them at 6 amps with a .05 cutoff (6 cell) and that they use a discharge tray after discharging to 5.4 volt. I wouldn't ask people to destroy my cells - that doesn't make sense.

I'm just trying to clear up incomplete and incorrect information. I have almost 20 years of rc experience too, but it doesn't mean that I will give correct advice. Just take any information on here with a grain of salt and decide what will work best for you.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can vouch for the information that Mike D gives. He's a smart guy on and off the track and knows RC. My question to you Mike, how did you get so darn fast in Nitro so quickly?? Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to race with you this summer. How about a Ask Mike D thread?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Calm down fellas. What I meant was: You label the thread "Ask Pat Bronson"

Kind of like the MF, Kinwald, Tosolini, ect.... It's great that you are going to help out newbies or seasoned racers, but label the thread "General Questions" or something like that. This is just my observation. Don't take it personal.

Peace
Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

yeah, i've never heard of Harris batteries, then i should have something like tectron motors and say i'm a team driver. the funniest part is that i just your are not sponsored by novak, and if you were sponsored by xray, there is no way in hell they would let you run Hairy batteries.
There is a link. Scott is a great guy, maybe you should send him an email and ask him about his company.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by John Fontaine
I can vouch for the information that Mike D gives. He's a smart guy on and off the track and knows RC. My question to you Mike, how did you get so darn fast in Nitro so quickly?? Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to race with you this summer. How about a Ask Mike D thread?
John - Driving is driving and setup is setup - nothing is really that different. I had somebody else keep my motor running. I still don't know anything about nitro motors. We should let pat get back to his thread... I'm sure he will help a lot of people out.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree. Pat - I don't have any questions for you, but if I do, I'll ask
Old 02-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default discharger

Originally posted by patbrosnon
actually i was just using it as a point of reference. these discharge boards aare made out of resistors that you can purchase out of an electronics store. i made my own, but it's not always better since it gets hot. you can burn yourself if you are not careful while discharging.

so actually i recommend a discharge board such as the much more, integy, or tinity. they have lights that are used as indicators to let you know when to remove your battery.
hey pat, you said you can build your own discharger , is it cheaper to build it yourself, if so , what resistors would i need .would i need bulbs too, thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

I friend of mine owns this company. He posted a great article about building discharge trays. Check it out.

http://rcprofessor.com/page6.html
Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Rookie

I friend of mine owns this company. He posted a great article about building discharge trays. Check it out.

http://rcprofessor.com/page6.html
thanks pro4capece
Old 02-23-2005, 09:52 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pat...

What purpose is served by the harder outer ring of foam on multiple shore foam tires like the TRC Plaid compounds?

How will lowering the rear rollcenter in relationship to the front rollcenter affect the steering response on my TC?

What are the benefits of harder springs and lower rollcenters versus softer springs and rollcenters closer to CG?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.