R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Lube me up. Diffs and Thrust washers!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/64104-lube-me-up-diffs-thrust-washers.html)

rayhuang 02-22-2005 07:26 AM

Lube me up. Diffs and Thrust washers!!

Hey all,

What are your favorite lubes for building diffs and why and also the thrust washers and CVD's. Basically anything on car thats high load. Also-sources if not a usual RC product.

I have always used black grease on my CVD axles-but I think the AW grease from Tamiya might be the bomb.

Also-Stealth lube always on the diffs-but I wonder if a heavier lube might be better for modified and 19t action? LOnger lasting diff?

Anyone tried AW grease vs. Black grease in thrust washers? Good or bad?

Anyone?

Ray

Fuzzy 02-22-2005 07:29 AM

KY does a good job of cutting friction.:D

rayhuang 02-22-2005 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Fuzzy
KY does a good job of cutting friction.:D
ON the diff or thrust washer clarify!! You bonehead!!

Fuzzy 02-22-2005 07:33 AM

Originally posted by rayhuang
ON the diff or thrust washer clarify!! You bonehead!!
For the thrusting parts, of course.

rayhuang 02-22-2005 07:44 AM

OK_alright-youve been hanging around seaball again havent you? I'll tell your wife!!

rtypec 02-22-2005 07:45 AM

I build universals dry with blue loctite on the joint set screw. I then hang them from the table with masking tape and then fill each cup with maxima chain lube for motorcycles. When dry, I work the universal and clean up excess with a rag soaked with motorspray. Good stuff.

Diffs, I use AE Diff Lube (red label) and on thrust bearings, I pack them with Mobil1 grease (red stuff)

I can't say that my Tamiya diffs are super smooth but they work. Anybody else have ideas?

rayhuang 02-22-2005 07:50 AM

Thanks-my only concern with black grease is it doesnt seem to be very sticky-so therefore it gets spun out of the thrust washer. A lube like Mobil1 I bet is designed to not get flung off as easily.

So when you try and build a diff or CVD thats gonna last for 3 or 4 months at a time-you cannot cause the spinning part is slowly unlubing itself. I try and make up for it by putting as much grease in as I can-just pack it.

John Fontaine 02-22-2005 09:57 AM

Ray - for thrust bearings I use Mugen super grease. I've loved it on centax thrust bearings. They take so much load it's unbelievable and this great protects them and I've never blown one yet. It works great on ball dif thrust bearings too, very sticky and wont be thrown out. Try it out :)

John

jg727211 02-22-2005 12:08 PM

AE Stealth diff lube for the diff balls, thicker than Losi & Kimbrough.

The newer Losi thrust ball lube (Tan stuff) is awesome. I took my diff apart (xxx-nt) after maybe 3 or 4 race days and the thrust balls looked like i just built them. I wish they sold it seperate from the thrust assembly like AE does for grease & diff lube.

John