Like Tree3Likes

Best F1 RC Chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

What are the speed controllers of choice for this class for 21.5
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Probably the main reason the F103 is better than most comes down to two very important reasons:

1 Its 200mm wide
2 The battery is mounted across the car meaning more weight towards the rear and less on the front.

Mike
Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Recently conducted a test on one track (small mostly tight 90&180 degree turns). Compared the F104 X1 which I'd been racing there this year, F1ultra by exotek and f104 v2 pro.

Used the same servo, same motor & esc and rollout was the same across all 3 cars. Admittedly the motor was getting old as the x1 was competing between 1st and second but has dropped 3-4 tenths the last few weeks since the other fastest guy has pulled about 2-4 tenths on me since he got a new motor.

Night was very cold and there was dew on the track. Struggled with the x1 getting out of the corners as a result (normally not an issue). Car was decently competitive and despite losing a lap in an accident it put out 2nd or 3rd best time for the night (Was about 0.6 off the pace)

The f1ultra was brilliant. Really can give it some throttle out of the corners. Lacked a bit of turn in but that would have easily been rectified with some more toe out. Was 0.5 seconds faster than the x1. I imagine on a larger track it would have been even more as it could really make use of the width. Also took a bit of getting use to as it drives very different to the f104 x1.

The F104 V2 didn't have the most ideal run. I forgot to set the center shock so it was running too low and dragging the rear. Even still, it matched the f103's best lap times out of the box even while still lacking grip out of the corners compared to the f103.

Think once it is set up the f104 v2 and the exotek f1 ultra would be fairly even for pace. Just will depend on the track as to which would be 1-2 tenths faster.

Either way it is clear the x1 will be moving to the shelf now.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

New to F1 and been out of onroad for many years. A new track is open and it's getting pretty popular. I am looking at getting into the F1 class but I know nothing about it and what are the top choices to choose from.

Any insite would be great. It's Carpet indoors. Spec motor and spec tires. I know of the Xray, and Ass F6 but not sure of the other options. Some pros and cons of them is appreciated as well.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soulcoma
New to F1 and been out of onroad for many years. A new track is open and it's getting pretty popular. I am looking at getting into the F1 class but I know nothing about it and what are the top choices to choose from.

Any insite would be great. It's Carpet indoors. Spec motor and spec tires. I know of the Xray, and Ass F6 but not sure of the other options. Some pros and cons of them is appreciated as well.
Look into the CRC. It was designed for the new black carpet and recently won the IIC-Vegas and US Indoor Champs. Plus it's local to you (NY) and I'm sure they will be happy to help you with setups.

MC
soulcoma likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thank you I will look into that.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soulcoma

I run Xray and am happy. Our track has AE, Roche, and CRC cars racing as well. With the right set up any of these cars are super competitive. My opinion is stick with a car that others you race with run. Set up advice is easier to come by that way
Old 03-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Most people at my track use the Xray car. It looks extra cool if you put the Exotek orange motor heatsink.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TRG 117 + Fenix Gear Diff

G-rem likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I"m really liking my FX18. I've been able to tune it for medium bite asphalt and it's starting to really come around to being VERY drivable and fast!! I haven't had any problems with anything breaking or coming loose since I went to loctite on ALL screws going into aluminum. And the tuning options are pretty good. Having the side links above the chassis surface and a narrow chassis helps with no drag in the corners I've seen with some others. And the PRICE I got the kit for was only $220 shipped to my door!! Best bang for the buck IMHO! I"ve recently built an Associated F6 for a friend--and it's very nice too, but I really hate the little plastic ball joints throughout the front end!! But, other than building that--I can't see that it's a problem and the Xray and many other's share that technology! I'm racing against Xray's, Associateds and Tamiyas--and the FX18 is definitely holding it's own and seems even more stable with speed through the corners than some others. Time will tell!!
Quinny45 likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

O
The one thing you need to also look at is Parts, How easy are they to get . CRC is right there and a very good car kit.