Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR4TC-BD

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,

nice alloy steering racks. Looks good guys.
Just a thing I thoght about the last weeks:
A clubmate and me thought about the easiest wey to improve the mechanical steering.
We found two problems: The rack and the C-Hubs.
The C-Hubs were no problem. I packed out my Dremel and took off some material. The rack was a bit more complicated because all the small roundings around the bearings and the ball stud hit the bellcrank. So I took out my Dremel again and made a new one with a new design. I made a CAD drawing aswell but my uncle wasn't able to get them ready by this weekend so I ran my new rack yesterday for the first time.
It was really amazing. I never had a car with that much steering and was able to improve my best laptime by 0.1 sec. Not bad regarding the fact that's only 0.2 sec away from the track record.

Cheers
Chris

P.S.: Sorry for the dirty car. I haven't seen it and will clean it now.
I hope you can see everything.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR4TC-BD-cimg1640.jpg   Yokomo MR4TC-BD-cimg1641.jpg   Yokomo MR4TC-BD-cimg1642.jpg   Yokomo MR4TC-BD-cimg1644.jpg  
Old 01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

At the updated version of BD , this is not a problem , because the steering plate was "dremeled" by the yokomo guys!!!!

But would it possible to take a picture of the C-hub , i am really interested to see what you changed!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JohnDoe
Is'nt there a big difference in behaviour of the car when using one of the three holes in the shoulder vs. the "normal" position?
Your camber will change less when running from one of those three holes, during a corner. So you'll need to run softer suspension so that you can generate the same amount of grip. The more you angle the link, the more your camber will change during suspension compression.

pops, am I saying that correctly?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

I started to use the 3 camber links on the hub carrier as we used to on the SD. I also chose to use the long ball stud that is used in the rear to maintain the angle of the camber link. It works great and you can run your steering block in the lower position.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone know where you can buy the carbon brace that attaches under the swaybar? I lost one at the track the other day and it doesn't look the same without it
Old 01-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

@Zacharopoulos: Damn... too late. Didn't know that.
But you can see the part I dremeled off. It's quite a lot but now you can get a lot of steering and the C-Hubs are still thick enough so they won't break in a crash.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR4TC-BD-cimg1647.jpg   Yokomo MR4TC-BD-cimg1649.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

that really isnt a good idea, you wont be donig the drivehafts any good atall opertaing at that amount of lock, you should of jsut tried getting a better setup for your car.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Hi,

I understand what you want to say and I thought about that too. I tested it and the wear on the driveshafts didn't sign any sign of wear. I couldn't hear the driveshafts and think it will be fine.
I made a little change to the driveshafts. I drilled out the hole were the pin goes through to 1.5mm and now I'm using a 1.5mm hardened drill instead of the pin. It holds up pretty well. Since I'm only running mod it was definately worth the time it took and the two drills I had cut.
I will test it this weekend at a race and will see how it works.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by speedy-932; 01-13-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedy-932
@Zacharopoulos: Damn... too late. Didn't know that.
But you can see the part I dremeled off. It's quite a lot but now you can get a lot of steering and the C-Hubs are still thick enough so they won't break in a crash.
Sorry, I don't get it, I can't see any gain by dremeling those C hubs. They work fine no matter what position you put the hinge pin in. Maybe I am missing something, but this is a mystery to me. I don't see how you can get more steering from a C hub that has a fixed caster anyway. Can you explain this?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

a thinkk its so he can get more physical lock on the steering blocks,
Old 01-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pops
Sorry, I don't get it, I can't see any gain by dremeling those C hubs. They work fine no matter what position you put the hinge pin in. Maybe I am missing something, but this is a mystery to me. I don't see how you can get more steering from a C hub that has a fixed caster anyway. Can you explain this?
Only thing I can think of is that it allows the steering spindle to rotate further . Maybe ?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

No problem, sir.
The BD works really well, especially in fast sweepers. I had just a few problems in very tight parts of the track and lost there a lot of time (0.1-0.2 sec). I looked at other cars and especially the Xray's have a lot more mechanical steering. You could see that when tried to make as tight turns as possible in front of you. With the Yokomo I needed the hole track width to make a hole turn. I don't know the exact width but it's really tight. With the Xray there was around 10-20cm more space.
And since at these low speeds the adjustments on car play only a small role I compared the two cars and saw that at the Xray you can drive with more physical steering.
And when you dremel off a bit material (and change the steering rack) you can adjust more steering.
It definately helped to improve laptimes. I don't know whether I'll need it at other tracks too but it's nice to have the option if needed.

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I made a little change to the driveshafts. I drilled out the hole were the pin goes through to 1.5mm and now I'm using a 1.5mm hardened drill as the pin. It holds up pretty well.
you can use #53 drill blank and this fits the stock hole(s) and also has held up for me very well. haven't broken one since i made this change 8 months ago.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

No problem, sir.
The BD works really well, especially in fast sweepers. I had just a few problems in very tight parts of the track and lost there a lot of time (0.1-0.2 sec). I looked at other cars and especially the Xray's have a lot more mechanical steering. You could see that when tried to make as tight turns as possible in front of you. With the Yokomo I needed the hole track width to make a hole turn. I don't know the exact width but it's really tight. With the Xray there was around 10-20cm more space.
And since at these low speeds the adjustments on car play only a small role I compared the two cars and saw that at the Xray you can drive with more physical steering.
And when you dremel off a bit material (and change the steering rack) you can adjust more steering.
It definately helped to improve laptimes. I don't know whether I'll need it at other tracks too but it's nice to have the option if needed.
Chris
You cannot turn tight because you use white spring at front. Why don't you buy softer springs like blue, yellow or green instead of dremeling here and there ?
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR4TC-BD-cimg1649.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Good job guys!!!!! Good job speedy-932

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.