Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR4TC-BD

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also run on carpark type tracks..I found the spool very hard on the car and I kept breaking kit cvds.I found the best all round combination is locked centre gear and front diff(fairly tight).this way you can use brakes but it is a lot easier on the drive train.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Shopkeeper
pops,

Thanks for posting your setup. I run on tracks that don't have alot of traction (parking lots). I am running pretty much the kit set up, I just adjust it with tire/insert combos to find the traction. It does always seem to have a little on power push, but it isn't bad.
It seems most have gotton away from the oneways (center and front) to go with locked center and spool. Do you think the car would be or is faster this way or is it just seem easier to drive?

Thanks
I don't drive, but I do wrench for my son and he did not like the spool at first, he always believed that a one-way was faster. In some cases that is true. He switched to a spool and began to like it much more, now able to use brakes and still have acceleration out of corners. The Yokomo hardend universals or the Ti CVDs correct the problems with broken parts caused by the spool. If racing carpet I would go with a front diff made with thick hard grease instead of the spool. That much traction is going to be even harder on the front universals.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

After breaking a spool at a race we decided to take the diff balls out of a diff, turn the plates around and do the diff up really tight. This way, the diff parts acted as a spool on the track with no slip what so ever, we checked it after every race for looseness but it stayed solid all day.

Because we had done this, the two diff halfs could actually spin free of each other if enough force was applied. if the car clipped a kerb awkwardly it did not damage any of the drivetrain. When we used a solid spool it tended to snap pins in the driveshafts etc.

I tried a diff on carpet at the weekend done up quite tight with the balls still in it and it pulled out of corners nearly as good as a spool. but not quite
Old 09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pheyhoe
I tried a diff on carpet at the weekend done up quite tight with the balls still in it and it pulled out of corners nearly as good as a spool. but not quite
If you haven't tried it yet you should try a diff built with hard diff lube. Very thick and sticky, plus you don't have to overtighten the diff. Yokomo diff screws can be a nightmare if overtightened.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
yes, but I'm not telling you

PM jimnew on this board and might be able to hook you up
Funny! How have you been? Hows the kid?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noline
I have a question about mod gearing I have a 112 64p spur gear and Im running a Reedy Ti3 8 turn Double Modified with IB3800's Batteries what pinion should I use for this modified Im currently running on a med/sized asphalt track with rubber tires any help would be greatly appreciated

may i suggest 26tooth for an 8.6 final drive... the Ti motors are very torquey
Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hey Matt Are you back in the states? What kind of spool are you running and what driveshafts(I guess they break).

Don't give Scooby a thicker chassis
Old 09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pops
If you haven't tried it yet you should try a diff built with hard diff lube. Very thick and sticky, plus you don't have to overtighten the diff. Yokomo diff screws can be a nightmare if overtightened.
Try tightening a diff screw on the TC4. They have the strength of a cocktail stick.

I will try thick lube next time i race on carpet, thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Try tightening a diff screw on the TC4. They have the strength of a cocktail stick.

Yeah, I know what you mean... Just the thick lube on the front diff though.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

I got on quite well with the TC4 diff screw, i found they whole diff however on that car was a little difficult to work out how much it wanted tightening.

Touch wood i only have to replace the yokomo screw, every now and then.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 PM
s2
Tech Adept

Default #1 and #2 Diff Pulleys

out of the 4 spair pulleys i have two have a number 1 next to the '40t' and the other two have a number 2 on them, what (if any?) is the differance between them?

cheers
Old 09-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by s2
out of the 4 spair pulleys i have two have a number 1 next to the '40t' and the other two have a number 2 on them, what (if any?) is the differance between them?

cheers
The #1 is Front one-way pulley(larger center hole), the #2 is a diff pulley(smaller center hole).

Old 09-16-2005, 07:43 AM
s2
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pops
The #1 is Front one-way pulley(larger center hole), the #2 is a diff pulley(smaller center hole).

oops, should of mentioned all four are 1way/spool pulleys..
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by s2
oops, should of mentioned all four are 1way/spool pulleys..
Some spools use a diff pulley and some spools use a one-way pulley.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
s2
Tech Adept

they are ALL 1way size pulleys, no diff size pulleys, but still have #1 and #2 markings...

Pulleys

the 2 at the top hav a #1 (you can just make it out and the 2 at the bottom have a #2...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.