R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Drifting (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/64045-drifting.html)

lucky579 02-21-2005 06:06 PM

Drifting

I have been out of this hobby for about 2-3 years, when I left the kinwald bk2 was just about to be released. I sold all my stuff, now I want to get into onroad, I was extremely competive before, nothing but the best, pro stock, ametuer mod, but I recently saw an rc video of the drifters.

Now I probably can't do this w/ awd, but there is something were it takes power away from the front wheels in turns, something with pulleys (one way pulley?)

Anyways for just playing around on my street or around what would be my best set up. I like the speed of 10 turn motors (not sure if brushless is the new way to go?)

But I'm thinking of tamiya t something, with an e36 m3 body, hahah, can anyone help me out here.

I got to start looking for stuff again...ugh

M8=150 w/ reciever
rolling chassis=150
esc=50 for like a cyclone
motor 25-25
batteries= 25 x2
charger= hopefully something under 100

Valentin.H 02-21-2005 06:42 PM

actually, the yokomo "drifters" kit is a AWD, but all it is really is a regular car, with special drift tires. The tires have little ridges in them so u can put in plastic rings. I have a FTTC3 and the roads were in perfect drifting condition, so i covered all my stuff with balloons, and took off. SO FUN! need practice though. What you do basically is come in a corner at a average speed and as you turn, you start punching the throttle a little bit and the car starts sliding to the direction that you turned. I have tons of drift videos so yeh. so get like a FTTC4, build it up, and buy some tires!! and DRIIFFTTTTT

look down for my AIM and IM me, if oyu dont ahve aim, pm me

Evoracer 02-21-2005 08:00 PM

Actually, the best RC drift cars are all wheel drive. And you don't need loads of power because with the drift tires there's so little traction that it doesn't take much to get things going sideways. We do most of our drifting with sealed can motors and inexpensive low tech chassis. A Tamiya TT-01 is perfect. Simple shaft drive with no high dollar frills. Also, don't bother with the Yokomo drift tires (the ones that use the rings).....Simply go to a plumbing supply place and get a tube of black ABS 2 inch pipe. Cut each "tire" to the correct width . It fits perfectly on most touring car rims. I don't even glue mine and rarely have a problem. I don't suggest using a 1 way either. The front end will tend to push badly if you don't have the traction of the front wheels under power. With the ABS tires, the car will easily slide....the trick is to get it to slide where YOU want it to. Good luck.

Valentin.H 02-21-2005 08:04 PM

didnt i just say that? :p :lol:

Grub_Maker 02-21-2005 09:47 PM

Hello, this is my first post so hello to all.

I would have to say the black PVC is the way to go. I have a FTtc3
with the PVC tires and it rocks !!!! I have been using a stock motor, but tis is even too much power. A sealed can motor like the Traxxas stinger or a Tamiya silver can would be fine. BTW the PVC tires last like 10x as long as the Yokomo drifting tires. If you have any old foam tires just true them down and slide the PVC on.

lucky579 02-21-2005 10:45 PM

alright, I've decided to get a tt01 with the e30 m3 evo body

ball bearings upgrade

as for remote and batteries and charger I don't know yet, mission = everything under $200, of course everything but the rolling chassis is going have to be used. And you guys actually use pvc pipes for tires? Crazy!

Evoracer 02-22-2005 05:31 AM

Sorry Guru...just wanted to give him a bit more info on the tires. Lucky...the whole "pvc tires" weirds every body out !! :lol: They make some noise when running on rougher asphalt but it sure makes drifting fun. The car will almost feel like driving on ice but proper throttle and steering control is all it takes. Easier said than done.....but you'll get the hang of it and I think it'll make you a better driver over all.
The TT-01 is an excellent choice and that E30 body alway's looks great !! Although there are many radios out there, I recommend the old Futaba T2HPKA . It's a good 2 channel radio available in FM. You should be able to find one in the rc tech classifieds or on Ebay. Don't spend more than $50 bucks. You should be able to find one for around $35. I just purchased 2 of them for 30 each with receivers. Another good choice is the JR XR2. Really good but closer to $60 or $70 in cost.

jag88 02-22-2005 07:03 AM

Evoracer, I see your back online, email me.

Barry Z

greencactus3 02-22-2005 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Grub_Maker
Hello, this is my first post so hello to all.

I would have to say the black PVC is the way to go. I have a FTtc3
with the PVC tires and it rocks !!!! I have been using a stock motor, but tis is even too much power. A sealed can motor like the Traxxas stinger or a Tamiya silver can would be fine. BTW the PVC tires last like 10x as long as the Yokomo drifting tires. If you have any old foam tires just true them down and slide the PVC on.

there is no such thing as black pvc. pvc is white, unless it has been painted or dyed i think. i htinkyou are referring to ABS. i personally like pvc the best. check out http://s3.invisionfree.com/rcdrift/
all about rc drifting.

lucky579 02-24-2005 12:29 AM

crap, I'm really getting back into this, I just bought an m8 with 2 recievers

Next is a xxxs and tt01, just for the e30 body

After that cyclone esc, mill pro charger with 10a power.

Batteries? I see 3300 are the in thing

tools? wow I see why I got out of this now
:tire:

there goes this weeks pay check

Evoracer 02-24-2005 05:37 AM

Amazing how fast the budget goes to hell, isn't it ?? :lol: Is this all for drifting?? Looks like your getting back in to touring cars. This is way more than you need to drift with. Good luck, welcome back to the land of the addicted !

IMPACTPLAYR 02-24-2005 06:14 AM

Originally posted by lucky579
crap, I'm really getting back into this, I just bought an m8 with 2 recievers

Next is a xxxs and tt01, just for the e30 body

After that cyclone esc, mill pro charger with 10a power.

Batteries? I see 3300 are the in thing

tools? wow I see why I got out of this now
:tire:

there goes this weeks pay check

to save a few bucks check out www.teamtekin.com you can pick up a bc112a ac/dc pro-level charger and save a few bucks over the millenium/ps combo... or even goto www.integy.com they have some nice ac/dc chargers that will be more than enough even if you do decide to race..... for batts goto www.promatchracing.com they have their cells pre-assembled in any configuration you want and they can be bought in pairs of 3 at reduced prices......

Also look at it this way, you maybe spending alot up front, but your only gonna have to buy once......

Grub_Maker 02-24-2005 02:11 PM

Originally posted by greencactus3
there is no such thing as black pvc. pvc is white, unless it has been painted or dyed i think. i htinkyou are referring to ABS. i personally like pvc the best. check out http://s3.invisionfree.com/rcdrift/
all about rc drifting.

Ya your correct about the "black PVC". I think it is schulde 2 or 3 black piping. Anyhow look for the black stuff.:)