Lemans LMP1

Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The problem you will have as touched upon earlier is that there is three markets you need to win over to generate enough sales to make it worthwhile:

1: Scale model freaks who want their shelf queen to look exactly scale down to the correct dirt on the stickers and silicone wiper blades...
2: Bashers who need something that will fit 75% of the chassis avail and will be heavy enough to last them the life of their chassis...
3: Pan car racers who want maximum speed/traction with least drag, with a shell thats light but strong enough to not fold under a wheel and cost them a final after tagging something hard.

Having said all that, I say "Go for it!" and i'll take mine in 235mm please, with all considerations in point 3 taken care of!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The problem with a body not having enough down force for the average person to have fun is that the average person thinks that the only way to have fun is to go 700 scale mph with soda sprayed all over the track as traction compound so they can take a tight corner at 400 scale mph.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

True technically speaking most of the bodies used in 1/12th and Pro10 are LMP based like the Protoform AMR and the varius Speed X bodies based on the Bentley. But the problem with those bodies is they lack the scale detail that some people want.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Master

I can see the point on scale detail but... i want to race with my cars and not be afraid my 50-75 euro body gets smashed in one hit. (estimates: Body 35, paint 15-20, stickers 10-20, tape etc etc) or the side mirrors get torn off cause someone rubbed my car..

The cars are 5 to 30 meters away on the track so i and other people don't see the finer detail or maybe only as blurs. Specially when opening up the throttle . I am not looking forward to invest time and money to have details i don't see on the track.

Every body manufacturer knows you can't make an exact copy from the real car as lexaan has different propperties. The buyer will not like it when the body folds under speed or gets torn fast when hitting something. So true to scale or scale detail is always debateble. The tamiya group c bodies are very nice but one big hit will seriously damage those bodies. Not looking forward to that considering their cost.

When painting a pro10 body with a good color scheme they look very good on the track. Look in the "am i the only one that likes group c cars" thread where i posted my car with Andy Sauber Mercedes in Michelin colors. Very simple paint scheme, a few decals here and there and it looks good on the track. Not an 1:1 copy when holding it up close but in a hit i know the body survives, on speed it doesn't buckle and it looks good on the track.

That is good enough for me and in general most people that race. Last weekend i saw a 1/12 black art open top shell with realistic audi r10 paint scheme. It looked really well up close and will look very good on the track. Paint the same body in flames or white with pink stars and indeed the body gets visually distorted to a point it looks like a blob or wedge.

Ps:
I would not buy a body that resembles the new lmp. Imo the new lmp's look quirky and could come straight from the 70's-80's battlestar galactica series as a cylon ground based vehicle. It tries too hard to look cool and futuristic. (i know it has to do with all the adjustments to fit in the new rules that are changed every year but it fails to make me enjoy the looks of a race car).

Last edited by 2wdrive; 06-22-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

BlackArt bodies do a great job of looking scale, and they work as well, or better than any 12th scale body on the market

Tamiya Bodies are THE most scale, and also work well, though they are on the heavy side, but that also means they are durable

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

I just wish the Blackart bodies had a thicker option...I tend to go through the thin ones rather quickly.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I just wish the Blackart bodies had a thicker option...I tend to go through the thin ones rather quickly.
+1
Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vafactor
in my opinion, this is exactly what could revive pancar racing. That GenXLE with the Toyota livery is just awesome!!
"in my opinion, this is exactly what could revive pancar racing"

That is what I thought when Tamiya released the F103GT with the Courage LC70 body a few years back. What was I thinking? Then, when the American Lemans series announced the LMPC class, based on the Courage chassis, I thought again "this is exactly what could revive pancar racing" as now everyone would be using the same body in a 1/10 LMPC class. So much for that.

The problem, I believe, is that that the majority of people who race RC cars do not care for scale realism, or are not big-enough fans of current full-size endurance race cars to want to emulate them in their racing activities. This is in contrast to fans of full-sized endurance race cars who dream of realistic looking, scale RC cars but don't race today because current RC cars do not represent the cars they see on TV or remember from years past (like Group C or GTP cars).
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I would just be happy if people painted bodies like this and not one color or a flea market air brush paint job.
But you do know that there was a Porsche 956/962 running Marlboro colors back in the day.Looks good on the Tamiya
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
I would just be happy if people painted bodies like this and not one color or a flea market air brush paint job.
But you do know that there was a Porsche 956/962 running Marlboro colors back in the day.Looks good on the Tamiya
Yes, the Marlboro sponsored Porsche 956 was chassis #104 entered by Joest Racing in 1983:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/chas...o/956-104.html
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Nobody wants to spend so much time and money in a nicely painted body only ot have it thrashed at the races or during practice if their driving skills are not up to par. Also not many racers have painting skills or the patience needed to put together a nice body.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Nobody wants to spend so much time and money in a nicely painted body only ot have it thrashed at the races or during practice if their driving skills are not up to par. Also not many racers have painting skills or the patience needed to put together a nice body.
Apart from the odd one or two exceptions there aren't many full size cars that have a paint scheme anywhere near as complex or as expensive to paint as the tribal vomit paint schemes that are standard these days. You can't argue that the red/white marlboro paint scheme above costs too much time and money to paint, when it looks so much better and is much simpler and much cheaper to do than most of the bodies featured in the painting section of this site.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by terry.sc
....there aren't many full size cars that have a paint scheme anywhere near as complex or as expensive to paint as the tribal vomit paint schemes that are standard these days. You can't argue that the red/white marlboro paint scheme above costs too much time and money to paint, when it looks so much better and is much simpler and much cheaper to do than most of the bodies featured in the painting section of this site.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

In the era of the 956/962, nearly every team used that car, so there are many cool paint schemes for it
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado
Yes, the Marlboro sponsored Porsche 956 was chassis #104 entered by Joest Racing in 1983:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/chas...o/956-104.html
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Nobody ?
One could paint up an all white Casper body for practice, while saving the nice one for racing
Apart from the odd one or two exceptions there aren't many full size cars that have a paint scheme anywhere near as complex or as expensive to paint as the tribal vomit paint schemes that are standard these days. You can't argue that the red/white marlboro paint scheme above costs too much time and money to paint, when it looks so much better and is much simpler and much cheaper to do than most of the bodies featured in the painting section of this site.
imo, Part of the Art of the "Hobby" has disappeared over the years, I try to lead by example, however, I don't expect many others in this day to go to the trouble of racing a "reasliticish" car
Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I don't care for the multi-colored tribal vomit either. However, even for many, masking for two or three colors in a simple paint job is still a challenge let alone decaling the body in a manner that would compliment it right. Even some of the simpliest paint schemes cost time and patience and not many have that to spend. For those of us who do, that is why we are on this thread.

BTW, it does cost considerable money to paint a nice body. Three colors = three cans of paint = $20 or more. Even a simple all blue Red Bull paint scheme will cost you the price of a spray can plus the sticker sheet which is another $25 on top of that. Yes it is a hobby. However, some aren't willing to spend that on a body vs. hop-ups and tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.