Wiki Posts
Search

good beginner on road car

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default good beginner on road car

I have done my fair share of off road racing I'm looking to try out some on road racing. The track in which I will be racing changes week to week its an asphualt parking lot painted with a series of islands and they connect them in different configurations every race day. The pavement is kinda rough asphaul,it is cracked in some spots. Its pretty high traction though ,they spray it with some stuff that when walked on its like fly paper.

I was wondering what a good starter car is. Guys at the track run a lil of everything from associateds to x ray. So its hard to say what the fast guys are running because they all run different cars. I kinda wanted to stay away from belt cars only because I'm worried about belts being chewed up. If I am wrong about the belts being an issue please correct me. Though that being said I was kinda leaning toward a rtr tc4 what do you guys think.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What classes are they running? If it's VTA then you'd be better off getting the TC4 club racer and adding your electronics. If they're running usgt or 17.5 tc then the rtr might work. Your best bet is to go out on a race day and talk to the guys running and get their opinions, There are lots of good lower priced options like the Xray T3r or Schumacher MI1. If they blow off the track really well before they setup a belt car shouldn't have any problems. Just keep a set of belts and pulleys for spares.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

They run what they call a silver can stock class as well as what they call gt2 which is 17.5 and gt1 which is unlimited. I tuning the faster gt2 guys are running tamiya ta05 and ae tc6
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

It's important to start right ! Whatever car you get, you will need to familiarize yourself with the Rc Crew Chief software, so you will understand what the adjustments will do to your car... By the way, the tc4 is the best beginner car out there, period !!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

So tc4 huh. Is it that good?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Tech Regular

They run what they call a silver can stock class as well as what they call gt2 which is 17.5 and gt1 which is unlimited.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I'd go a belt as IMO belts have a much lower chance of chewing up the pulley or snapping a belt compared to chewing up the spur in a shaft drive. I'm not sure how vulnerable the TC4 spur is to rocks though.

If they spray the track with something before hand it might not really matter that much though. Depends how clean the surface is beforehand I guess.

If you are looking for a dirt cheap belt car, look at the 3racing sakura zero s. Cheap and cheerful with a full upgrade path to the regular version.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

3 racing is not good for beginners. cheap price cheap quality and part availability may be and issue. I have an FGX F1 it is very fragile and parts fit poorly.

I recommend Tamiya or Associated.
Tamiya has arguably the best quality. parts all fit perfectly. you only need a phillips screw driver, the TT01 is a great beginners car. parts should be plentiful.

The Associated TC4 is probably the better car of the two. it is very durable, diffs are enclosed. parts should be plentiful. The TC4 is the updated version of the TC3, I still have my TC3 purchased in the early 90's when they were first introduced.

Ask the LHS what they recommend, experts and club racers have a totally different take on it. Beginners need durablitly and parts availability.

Remember this: for beginners is 10 percent car, 10 percent setup and 80 percent driver
for club racers it more set up.

Belt cars are good, what ever has parts availability. you will be hitting things. I still do.

hope this helps. you can also talk to the race director at your track what car they recommend for beginners and what is the best class.

Hope this helps

I also think that the Tamiya M05 pro is a great car, easy to drive and its very durable. although the class is highly competive with skilled drivers.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

The 3 racing is a no for beginners. cheap price, cheap quality. I have the FGX f1 and parts fit is poor and fragile.

I recommend either Tamiya or Associated.
Tamiya makes arguably the highest quality car kits. part all fit perfectly, if they dont you made a mistake. all you need is a Phillips screw driver to assemble. the TT01 is a great beginners car. parts should be readily available.

The Associated TC4 is probably the better car, it is the updated version of the TC3. I still have one. purchased when they were first release in early 90s. very durable, diffs enclosed, and parts should be available.

know this: for beginners its 10 percent car, 10 percent set up, 80 percent driver. for intermediate drivers its more set up.

talk to the race director. Ask them
what car they recommend for beginners and what class you should race in.

intermediates and experts have a different take on what to recommend. Beginners need durability and parts availability. you will be hitting things. I still do.

I also think that the Tamiya MO5 pro is very easy to drive and is very durable. it can take a serious hit. However that being said, the Mini Class is highly competitive with skilled drivers.

Hope his helps
have a blast.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FNG RIDER
3 racing is not good for beginners. cheap price cheap quality and part availability may be and issue. I have an FGX F1 it is very fragile and parts fit poorly.

I recommend Tamiya or Associated.
Tamiya has arguably the best quality. parts all fit perfectly. you only need a phillips screw driver, the TT01 is a great beginners car. parts should be plentiful.

The Associated TC4 is probably the better car of the two. it is very durable, diffs are enclosed. parts should be plentiful. The TC4 is the updated version of the TC3, I still have my TC3 purchased in the early 90's when they were first introduced.

Ask the LHS what they recommend, experts and club racers have a totally different take on it. Beginners need durablitly and parts availability.

Remember this: for beginners is 10 percent car, 10 percent setup and 80 percent driver
for club racers it more set up.

Belt cars are good, what ever has parts availability. you will be hitting things. I still do.

hope this helps. you can also talk to the race director at your track what car they recommend for beginners and what is the best class.

Hope this helps

I also think that the Tamiya M05 pro is a great car, easy to drive and its very durable. although the class is highly competive with skilled drivers.

He's an offroad racer looking to get into onroad racing, not a total beginner. I would never recommend a TT-01 to anyone, but especially not someone interested in racing. The only racing a TT-01 is good for is racing against other TT-01s. It's not a good car, period.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Unless you're racing on a completely unprepped track, belts do not get chewed up. When I say unprepped, you see bits of asphalt and gravel all over. If your local racers run expensive cars like xray, I say that the race surface should be clean.

Most belt cars are pretty much the same design these days. Get a car that you can get parts easily for. If you are an Internet shopper, your choice window will be much bigger.

Shaft drive will be good to about 13.5, but anything faster, a belt drive is better imo. If you just want to run at a sportsman level, the TC4 is a solid choice.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I prefer belt cars, but will agree that as far as bang-for-buck goes, the TC4 club racer would be a good start. Cheap and parts are always available.

Maybe look at what is run / supported locally, get an idea of what cars parts & setup advice will be easily available to you.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

The track actually belongs to the the Hobbytown USA in Fresno they carry tc6.1 stuff tamiya ta05 ber2 and the ta06 parts and the tc4. I will be running 17.5 sportsman or novice. A poster above said the belt cars are really only faster when running 13.5 or faster? As another poster said I'm not a complete noob I do race off road regularly and I'm usually front half of the pack. I will probably end up with a tc4 then and just stick my vtx10r with whatever 17.5 I can get my hands on. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 84 GT 5.0
The track actually belongs to the the Hobbytown USA in Fresno they carry tc6.1 stuff tamiya ta05 ber2 and the ta06 parts and the tc4. I will be running 17.5 sportsman or novice. A poster above said the belt cars are really only faster when running 13.5 or faster? As another poster said I'm not a complete noob I do race off road regularly and I'm usually front half of the pack. I will probably end up with a tc4 then and just stick my vtx10r with whatever 17.5 I can get my hands on. Thanks for the help guys.
I don't know about "faster", but perhaps a belt car is better suited to classes with more speed as they are a bit more forgiving, easier to drive. Some would argue, but that is how I see it. Either platform can win at a club level. One thing about AE stuff, it's affordable and the re-sale is always good if you decide to get back out. Parts are always cheap and easy. For 150 or so that's a good starting point. Maybe if you stick with it for awhile, you will want a more advanced chassis, all up to you...
Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 84 GT 5.0
I race off road also. if you are serious, get a better chassis first, then run a novice race after your first win move up to whatever fits you. the TC6 is nice so are the Tamiyas but the TC6 is the next level above those. you can install any motor,you will need help on set up. Like offroad set up is everything. TC4 is good but not like the TC6.1, The TC4 will have some torque steer, with hotter motors as a result of the right hand drive, the belt drive cars would be better for hotter motors. but we are splitting hairs, there are guys running hot motors in TC4s with much success. personally I want the TA06Pro with the direct gear drive and belt. heard very positive things about this car. this may be my next road car. The biggest difference for me between offroad and onroad is that racing proximity is a lot closer, sometimes almost touching in packs of 3 or 4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.