Wiki Posts
Search

Hypothetical tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hypothetical tire question.

Hi,

Lets say I have a very soft tire (e.g. Sorex 20) that I want to use on a relatively high grip carpet track. What kind of insert should I use to prevent overheating as much as possible but at the same time make it driveable?
I.e. what should I look for: Foam insert, moulded insert, much airgap, little airgap, hard insert, soft insert etc.?

Also, would anti roll bars (or a high roll centre) help prevent overheating with less amount of weight being transferred causing less friction?

Regards
Old 02-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Wink Hypothetic answer

About anti roll bars; I tend to agree that it will help, since the bar will force the inner wheel down during body roll, thus distribute the tire pressure a little more even. But it also a matter of handling. Personally, I like anti roll bars on smooth carpet tracks, because the car / traction feels more consistent.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Hypothetic answer

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
About anti roll bars; I tend to agree that it will help, since the bar will force the inner wheel down during body roll, thus distribute the tire pressure a little more even.
My thoughts exactly!
I was planning on testing a couple of ideas over the weekend but I want to make sure that I’ve ruled out any (relatively) obvious things I haven’t thought about.

Any thought’s on the inserts anybody?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Little air gap, hard insert. The problem won't be overheating, but mainly grip roll. In that case, don't use additive on the front and put glue onto the sidewalls of the front tires (outside sidewall, up to and including the corner of the tire).