Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello

I drive a Losi car and have few of Brand new LCD set left, a freind of mine told me cyclone users also run a Losi LCD as conversion kit, If I put kit together like the attachment would it be good for $50.00 ?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-lcd_conversion2.jpg  

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 07-31-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Digital servos "check" their position many more times per second than an analog servo does. They have much greater centering, and holding power. In my opinion, digital servos are all you should run anymore.

I do run for Ko Propo, but the Futaba 9551 is a low profile servo with a good price point. The Ko Propo 3245, and the low profile 2413 are good servos from KO that aren't too much money. If you are looking for something cheaper, they have a line of mid sized servos that is right in between the size of a full standard servo and a low profile servo. The 2511 is a metal geared, digital "mid sized" that works great, and on a budget ($60).
Hi Korey

I was having a hard time getting an answer on what servo to run and I called HB. I was told what was recommended was 200oz at .10, how does that work with what is being said here? I have been running hitec 645mg that is like 130oz at .17.

What is the spec that would be best if the price point isn't in the equation?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The speed sounds about right, but the torque is a little overkill I think. I don't think you need a servo with quite that much torque for a touring car, but it's doesn't hurt either. At the reedy race, I was using a Futaba S9550, which has about 90 oz of torque and has a speed of about .11 second. I now use a Ko propo 2413 and love it, it's about the same speed but has 120 oz of torque. So I would say something with around 100z of torque would be great, and around a .10 transit speed. I use those servos mainly because they of the low profile type, and give the chassis a little more room to put stuff (like a transponder). I know Hiro likes the 2367 from KO (full size), which is around 200 oz of torque, and a .10 transit time.

If price or size isn't a factor, then I feel you can never have too much torque. It's better to have too much than too little. Speed... Some might disagree with me on this, but I have found anything faster than .08-.10 to be almost pointless. If you turn the wheel that fast to full lock, a lot of times the front tires will actually slip and cause the car to understeer. If you have a trained hand then it's great, but it can be a handful for some. Keep in mind, having a servo that is too slow can hurt you just as much. I have problems running a servo any slower than .15 in a touring car because they don't come back to center as fast as I like.

If price isn't a factor HB has also released some very high quality servos that have some impressive specs. Ko Propo also has many fantastic offerings for all budget levels now as well.

-Korey

Last edited by Korey Harbke; 07-31-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by balistic
Hi Korey

I was having a hard time getting an answer on what servo to run and I called HB. I was told what was recommended was 200oz at .10, how does that work with what is being said here? I have been running hitec 645mg that is like 130oz at .17.

What is the spec that would be best if the price point isn't in the equation?
Hi balistic, I have used S9551 and BLS 551 in my cyclone and I have to say BLS 551 is probably the best choice. It is smoother than S9551 and have much less play at neutral position. It also seems to center better and has more throw as well. I have not tried KO2413, I am sure it is a pretty good servo too. My recommendation is still BLS 551, since it uses brushless motor and is built on the very latest technology.

I have also performed some tests on various servos and I found anything quicker than 0.1S is overkilled, because there is no way I could turn the steering wheel lock to lock quicker than a servo with 0.1S speed.

I have to add that when you switch from a 0.17s to a 0.1s servo, your driving style may need to change a little, simply because the servo is so much quicker. For example, with the slower servo, you can simply turn at full speed at a corner, but with a quicker servo, you have to control how quickly you turn the steering wheel, so that the car is not pitched too hard into the corner.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billythekid
For example, with the slower servo, you can simply turn at full speed at a corner, but with a quicker servo, you have to control how quickly you turn the steering wheel, so that the car is not pitched too hard into the corner.
I may be over thinking here but I always try to turn at a controlled rate. I don't see the speed as an entry problem as much as back to center to catch a slide. I want to try at least once a badass high torque high speed servo just to see if I am letting the servo drive the car or if I am?

As concise as the data here is on what speed (0.10) the servo should be there is still a 100% variance on what torque should be? I plan to err on the high side just to see.

thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Digital servos "check" their position many more times per second than an analog servo does. They have much greater centering, and holding power. In my opinion, digital servos are all you should run anymore.

I do run for Ko Propo, but the Futaba 9551 is a low profile servo with a good price point. The Ko Propo 3245, and the low profile 2413 are good servos from KO that aren't too much money. If you are looking for something cheaper, they have a line of mid sized servos that is right in between the size of a full standard servo and a low profile servo. The 2511 is a metal geared, digital "mid sized" that works great, and on a budget ($60).
(1) I think the Futaba 9551 sounds reasonable.
Only available online from A Main at present (everyone else is out of stock).
Selling for around US$85.

(2) Also, I just discovered a Hitec 645 in an old off road buggy at home.
Torque is 133 and speed is 0.2; slow-ish but I'm not sure how critical this is.
Not digital either.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Still after a starting set-up for outdoor asphalt if anyone has one

Originally Posted by JR007
OK, so the RCTech search function sucks.

I'm after a starting set-up as I have only raced my (fairly) standard TA-05 to date, and this is in a different class (meant in both ways).

I have a Cyclone Surikarn coming in a few days and i'll be racing it in stock. Stock in NZ is silver cans with NiCd batteries, so not high speed stuff.

The track is a very large outdoor asphalt track (used for nitro as well as electric), and the weather down here ATM is fairly cold. Not sure if i'll use rubber or foams. I'll see what the others are using, but I have a variety of both.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
Still after a starting set-up for outdoor asphalt if anyone has one
I've mentioned a few times in the last few pages that Atsushi Hara's 2008 Reedy Race setup is a good starting point. Hope that helps.

-Korey
Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Tech Master

anyone upgrade their driveline to the LCD type?
If you have, someone sell me a pair your old universals.
PM me please
Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by balistic

As concise as the data here is on what speed (0.10) the servo should be there is still a 100% variance on what torque should be? I plan to err on the high side just to see.

thanks guys.
I think you can only use the torque to a certain extend due to the strength of the servo saver.

Anyway, the most bad ass high speed, high torque servos are the new Associated (Thunder Tiger) and Orion Vortex servos, which has very high speed and very high torque. They are not too pricy as well, both are below $100 I believe. But they are not brushless.

Anyway, if the too is too fast, you can always turn it down on your transmitter.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default TC and Moore edition

I recently picked up a TC and in the process of trading for a Moore edition. My question is what are the differences? I assume the TC is the current model with a different internal ratio. Can I stock up on parts for one and use on the either.

I plan on running the TC 13.5 brusless and the Moore Black can both rubber.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zleader_99
I recently picked up a TC and in the process of trading for a Moore edition. My question is what are the differences? I assume the TC is the current model with a different internal ratio. Can I stock up on parts for one and use on the either.

I plan on running the TC 13.5 brusless and the Moore Black can both rubber.
I would probably stay with the TC. It has the better diff. Both cars are equally fast though...

Add a Version 3 spool to the TC or add the TC diff to the Moore. and you should be set.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So I just picked up the Lipo Upper Deck kit 67695 and was wondering what the smaller of the two purple aluminum pieces are for? I would think it is to make up the difference between the rear rear bulkhead and the upper deck but I would think it would be a washer instead of a rectangular piece. The hole pattern matches up with the bottom of the rear bulkhead but if I installed it underneath it, then the layshaft would sit ant an angle. Help Hiro, Korey, Art, Race Nuts, anyone with this kit?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Vega
So I just picked up the Lipo Upper Deck kit 67695 and was wondering what the smaller of the two purple aluminum pieces are for? I would think it is to make up the difference between the rear rear bulkhead and the upper deck but I would think it would be a washer instead of a rectangular piece. The hole pattern matches up with the bottom of the rear bulkhead but if I installed it underneath it, then the layshaft would sit ant an angle. Help Hiro, Korey, Art, Race Nuts, anyone with this kit?
Someone posted about this earlier...I think it is for one of the older cyclones and is not needed for the TC. You do however need the 2mm round shim that comes with the kit. As long as it looks level you should be good to go.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
Someone posted about this earlier...I think it is for one of the older cyclones and is not needed for the TC. You do however need the 2mm round shim that comes with the kit. As long as it looks level you should be good to go.
Got it figured out. The spacer is if you use the BL motor mount. I didn't get a round 2mm spacer in my conversion. Is it just one of the spacers used throughout the kit? 2mm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.