Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by deanomgwhiteguy
i mite re-build it later on when i get better electronics i got it back to normal again. my problem was that the belt was taking more spin to my right wheel then the left and when i accelerate it goes left so yer i think locktite for now

and as for the cvds im curious is the WC and the TC the same things or completly different and if the WC is a different car please send me the link thankz
When you rebuild the diff check all bearings. Including the 5x10's in the hubs and the 10x15's in the bulkheads. Make sure that they spin freely and aren't binding. Bad bearings can cause uneven power delivery and excess wear on the drivetrain.

The cvd and universal assemblies are sorta opposites of one another. See picture below.

-The WCE CVD's use the MIP design. The driveshaft captures (goes around) the axle assembly. This does offer more efficiency at extreme turning angles. Not a huge difference.
-The TC comes with universals. The axle assembly captures the driveshaft.

To this date all Cyclones share the same basic geometry. Each new version just adds new tuning features that are compatible with ALL Cyclones. No major changes have been made in 4 years. The HB Team got the design right to begin with way back in 2005. Well... all except for the diff design. It took a few years to address that issue.
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-cvd-uni.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

i mite re-build it later on when i get better electronics i got it back to normal again. my problem was that the belt was taking more spin to my right wheel then the left and when i accelerate it goes left so yer i think locktite for now

and as for the cvds im curious is the WC and the TC the same things or completly different and if the WC is a different car please send me the link thankz
Mate, that's not a diff problem. As I said before, go and take the car to one of the more experienced guys to have a look over. 10 min setting up your car on a setup station and a quick check of the diff will have you sorted.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
When you rebuild the diff check all bearings. Including the 5x10's in the hubs and the 10x15's in the bulkheads. Make sure that they spin freely and aren't binding. Bad bearings can cause uneven power delivery and excess wear on the drivetrain.

The cvd and universal assemblies are sorta opposites of one another. See picture below.

-The WCE CVD's use the MIP design. The driveshaft captures (goes around) the axle assembly. This does offer more efficiency at extreme turning angles. Not a huge difference.

To this date all Cyclones share the same basic geometry. Each new version just adds new tuning features that are compatible with ALL Cyclones. No major changes have been made in 4 years. The HB Team got the design right to begin with way back in 2005. Well... all except for the diff design. It took a few years to address that issue.
Actually both of those designs are Universals. There are no real CVDs in RC cars. We would need a Thompson coupler, which is a true CVD.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-titc-mod-.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

http://y-trail.de-blog.jp/maruyo/
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-dsc02231.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Actually both of those designs are Universals. There are no real CVDs in RC cars. We would need a Thompson coupler, which is a true CVD.
That's right.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Can you imagine the cost of manufactering a True CVD down to size for our Touring cars. You thought the XRAY ECS driveshafts were expensive!

But talk about "LUXURY"
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-joint.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Does anyone have the setup used at the 2008 istc worlds? I know they were running a softer setup with blues in the back but can't seem to find it. Wanted to give it a try.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Just got round to rebuilding my cyclone - bought it second hand a few months back. I've been trying to return it to factory spec until I came across something really odd in the manual. The previous owner had a spool arangement on the spur gear shaft, but when built to the manual, there is a one way bearing. I built it as the manual but I couldn't understand why the bearing was rotating the wrong way. But then I looked at the exploded diagram at the back, which shows the spur the other way!
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-cyclone-.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Can you imagine the cost of manufactering a True CVD down to size for our Touring cars. You thought the XRAY ECS driveshafts were expensive!

But talk about "LUXURY"
Not only that, but the amount of added rotating mass. I prefer (in rc terms) universals to "cvds" because they seem to last longer, and in offroad, do not collect dirt and grime to wear down the components.

I think the difference you are seeing is due to manufacturing tolerances most likely with the 2 pics you shared.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

ok thankz for that i have just lost another pin so cvds are at the top of my to get list now

thankz for that
Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

ok thankz for that i have just lost another pin so cvds are at the top of my to get list now

thankz for that
That's odd that you keep losing pins. Are they coming out right after an impact? Is it the same universal that loses a pin or is it random? Did you loctite the set screws?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree... that is really odd. Are you using a good quality 1.5mm driver to tighten down the set screws, or a simple L type allen wrench? Try to get a hold of a quality allen driver where you can tighten the setscrew down really well without the fear of stripping the screw out.

Also, when you are building your universals, its very important to make sure the threads in the couple stay EXTREMELY clean. Any grease/oil that is in there will prevent the thread lock from ahearing the screw and coupler together, allowing it to back out fairly easily.

One last tip... If you have a dremel or a small file you can griind a flat spot on the pin itself for the setscrew to tighten onto. This allows the setscrew to have a little more grip on the pin, and also if the setscrew backs otu a tiny bit, the edges of the flatspot could possibly help retain the pin as well.

Give those a shot and see how that goes. I personally didn't see a big enough performance difference with the MIP CVD's over the stock universals. The stock universals have been great so far and I plan to continue to use them.

-Korey
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not only that, but the amount of added rotating mass. I prefer (in rc terms) universals to "cvds" because they seem to last longer, and in offroad, do not collect dirt and grime to wear down the components.

I think the difference you are seeing is due to manufacturing tolerances most likely with the 2 pics you shared.
I'm pretty sure you want a Cyclone Justin

"I got two words for ya... Come onnnn!!! Come ooooonnnnn!!!!!" -Peter Griffin

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
I'm pretty sure you want a Cyclone Justin

"I got two words for ya... Come onnnn!!! Come ooooonnnnn!!!!!" -Peter Griffin

YGM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.