Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've been using the cheap 3racing knuckles found off ebay for over a year, still haven't bent them or tweaked them. I haven't seen any other parts break from this, so it didn't seem to pass the damage to the uprights or arms. I also don't crash much, so if you track is nasty or your a real door banger, you might want to up for the better quality HPI knuckles from Japan. I also didn't notice any drop in front end grip, so there is still enough flex up front so that's not a real issue.

To be honest, I'm surprised HPI/Hot Bodies hasn't fixed this problem years ago. Coming from a Pro4, the issue started right when they introduced the knuckles with the little bubble so the steering would turn as far. Ever since then it splits knuckles down the front mold seem. I talked to Jeremy when he first started at HPI and sent him some examples, they were supposed to take a look at this to see if its and issue. Guess HPI figured they needed to keep selling knuckles!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by STLNLST
UPS delivered my package this evening so I weighed the packs. The 3800 is 8.0oz or 228g I know that you have some coming but hopefully this will aloow you to get a jump on your balancing system.
Cool, I guess the weight is the same.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I just got my motors and batteries today so I haven't had a chance to run them yet. The speedo has to wait until the first of the year for two reasons.
1. Christmas has me a little tapped out.
2. I want to run the motor using the LRP so that I get a feel for how the motor runs.

I think that after one day of racing I will have a good feel for how these motors run and after that I can then switch to the Orion speedo.
Ahhh, ok.

Im building a B4 for my buddy. Will probably run a orion 13.5 I have a 5,6, and 7.5 already These motors are really efficient it seems like. Great run time (even with a 5.5) and cool running. But I will let the motor man decide on there 13.5 LOL.

I think I will just back order a orion speedo. And get it next year
Old 12-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dizzy1
I've been using the cheap 3racing knuckles found off ebay for over a year, still haven't bent them or tweaked them. I haven't seen any other parts break from this, so it didn't seem to pass the damage to the uprights or arms. I also don't crash much, so if you track is nasty or your a real door banger, you might want to up for the better quality HPI knuckles from Japan. I also didn't notice any drop in front end grip, so there is still enough flex up front so that's not a real issue.

To be honest, I'm surprised HPI/Hot Bodies hasn't fixed this problem years ago. Coming from a Pro4, the issue started right when they introduced the knuckles with the little bubble so the steering would turn as far. Ever since then it splits knuckles down the front mold seem. I talked to Jeremy when he first started at HPI and sent him some examples, they were supposed to take a look at this to see if its and issue. Guess HPI figured they needed to keep selling knuckles!
Sorry you are having so many issues with your knuckles. I'm still running the kit ones and haven't broke any yet. Maybe its the track you run on cause the guys running the cars out here haven't really voiced that problem and there are a lot of TCs out here. Not to say some of the guys haven't broke that part, but it doesn't look unusual compared to what normally breaks in a crash. Might just be a bad string of luck. If you are talking about Jeremy Felles, he no longer works for HB, so it may have been overlooked. Just a guess.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
Sorry you are having so many issues with your knuckles. I'm still running the kit ones and haven't broke any yet. Maybe its the track you run on cause the guys running the cars out here haven't really voiced that problem and there are a lot of TCs out here. Not to say some of the guys haven't broke that part, but it doesn't look unusual compared to what normally breaks in a crash. Might just be a bad string of luck. If you are talking about Jeremy Felles, he no longer works for HB, so it may have been overlooked. Just a guess.
I haven't really broken knuckles until just recently. I like having a back stock but you can't really do that with HB parts since they don't come in pairs. If I don't get the alum one's from TOP I guess I'll go with the regular parts and give the rear hubs to a novice racer.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dizzy1

Hi Dizzy1,
Sorry to hear the parts breakage that happening to your car.

As for the knuckle, we have checked all the stock parts and tested with them in the past but they all were ok. Also, there is no difference between the knuckles from Japan and from the US. They all are completely the same knuckles.

I believe that it all depends on what type of the race tracks you run on. Since they are not aluminum knucles, they still break in some cases (i.e: hard impact, etc). However, they are not so weak and have decent durability.

We really appreciate your input though.
Please feel free to let us know whenever you have a questions or concerns.
you can always reach me at [email protected]

Regards,
Hiroyuki Kasuya
Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I haven't really broken knuckles until just recently. I like having a back stock but you can't really do that with HB parts since they don't come in pairs. If I don't get the alum one's from TOP I guess I'll go with the regular parts and give the rear hubs to a novice racer.
I agree...no matter what crash I am in the rear hub holds up. I have a huge pile of them. This would all be solved by packaging the knuckles different.

I think I broke my knuckle the worse the other day. Nobody could believe it but I split it along the seam where the bearings sit, broke the steering arm off and broke my c-hub in two. Oddly enough this is on a track that so far has seemed very very easy on cars
Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Has anyone built a roll center calculator like some people have built for some other cars? I was recently looking at the one in the Tamiya forums and found it very useful.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i too have had the problem with the steering hubs..they do break right along the seam...i have a 3 racing aluminum set on the way...have only raced this car 4 times..and not hit hard..but broken 2 steering hubs...have hit things much harder with tc5 and not broken...
Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shadow102
This would all be solved by packaging the knuckles different.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

I ran my cyclone for the first time tonight, WOW what a difference form a TC3 I was running the one way but sounded like nothing I have never heard before. In the corners with on power i was hearing something but the drive terain was free, it sounded like it was the tires gripping hard. I can't really describe the sound. The car handeled great though
Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Probably chatter from the axles,too much steering throw
Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

what is the difference between running the carbon fiber rear brace vs. the stock purple (heatsink)
Old 12-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Tulsa TC3
what is the difference between running the carbon fiber rear brace vs. the stock purple (heatsink)
the CF brace will give more rear traction due to extra chassis flex. If your running rubber tire i suggest the CF brace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.