R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #14431
Tech Regular
 
rcarmchl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Collierville, TN
Posts: 492
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras View Post
Thanks for the info I rather get the Pro- Spec diff than spend all that $$
on a new kit.
I run the black cyclone with the new diff and am duking it out with 008's all over the place...the cars stacks up up - still very competitive.
__________________
Blizzard Concepts ~Big-Dog Graphics

Cyclone ~ Orion ~ LRP Sphere ~ S9550
M03 ~ Orion ~ LRP QC3 ~ S9550
RC18R ~ Castle Creations ~ Hi-tec
Slash ~ 9550 ~ SMC Power
8ight-T~9550~V-Spec
rcarmchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #14432
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,271
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Interesting discussion on rebound here.

One thing I never understood is how the little force generated by a latex membrane can make such a change once it is added to the stiff springs we are running on the four corners of the cars... when you consider the spring stiffness, that bladder pushes almost nothing... The foams I understand, they suddenly stiffen the suspension big time (closed cells) but the membrane-generated rebound, I just don't get it...

Thanks

Paul
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #14433
Tech Elite
 
ShaunMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Loading...
Posts: 3,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras View Post
Anyone with info on the new sway bar system that comes on the TC I was looking back a few page and didn't get any info I am looking for, will the new sway bar fit on the first cyclone the black ver? anyone.

Thank you.
I haven't used the new swaybar mounting hardware, but it will work with the black version of the Cyclone using either the older or newer A-arm design. Only the mounting harware has changed on the TC. The actual swaybars are still the same as other Cyclones.

I have noticed that HB team drivers (Hara, Moore) are still using the older swaybar mounting harware over the newer design. Not sure if there is any real reason for this or not.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #14434
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 84
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default gearing queston

I recently purchased my first ever electric car. This being a Hotbodies Cyclone S kit. I bought it to do some winter racing indoors and after the completion of my build I can't wait to see this thing in action. My question though, is since this is my first foray into electric I'm not sure what size pinion gear to use w/ the stock 96 tooth spur. I will be running in a stock 27 turn/17.5 class and I was curious to hear some suggestions. I have been told that it is a medium sized track w/ decent staights and enough turns to keep you busy. All i know is if this electric runs as good as I'm hoping there's gonna be alot of nitro stuff for sale here and on the bay.
rogueldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #14435
Tech Addict
 
Thraex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
I haven't used the new swaybar mounting hardware, but it will work with the black version of the Cyclone using either the older or newer A-arm design. Only the mounting harware has changed on the TC. The actual swaybars are still the same as other Cyclones.

I have noticed that HB team drivers (Hara, Moore) are still using the older swaybar mounting harware over the newer design. Not sure if there is any real reason for this or not.
It's because the new ones tend to bind pretty much. You can warm up the ballcups (with a lighter for example), but than the ballcups seem to be pop off quite easily. That's why most of the time the older versions are used.
__________________
Thijs van M[HPI/HB]
Thraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #14436
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,769
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras View Post
Anyone with info on the new sway bar system that comes on the TC I was looking back a few page and didn't get any info I am looking for, will the new sway bar fit on the first cyclone the black ver? anyone.

Thank you.
I have it on my black Cyclone. It fits but you will need to cut away about 5mm off the end of the sway bar. You also have to raise the link higher than the 1mm the instructions suggest. This is about as close to a tweak free sway bar system other than the TC5.

once I buy another rear and front bar I will be going back to the old system.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #14437
Tech Elite
 
ShaunMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Loading...
Posts: 3,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueldr View Post
I recently purchased my first ever electric car. This being a Hotbodies Cyclone S kit. I bought it to do some winter racing indoors and after the completion of my build I can't wait to see this thing in action. My question though, is since this is my first foray into electric I'm not sure what size pinion gear to use w/ the stock 96 tooth spur. I will be running in a stock 27 turn/17.5 class and I was curious to hear some suggestions. I have been told that it is a medium sized track w/ decent staights and enough turns to keep you busy. All i know is if this electric runs as good as I'm hoping there's gonna be alot of nitro stuff for sale here and on the bay.
Depends if you are running a 27T or 17.5 motor.

27T CO27 gear 6.5 - 7.0 FDR (with rubber tires) depending on track and your particular motor.
-with a 96T spur you would need between a 33T - 36T pinion.

17.5 needs A LOT more gear. Try down in the 3.5 FDR range. Again, track size, motor brand and batteries all play a role in finding the proper gearing.
-you will need to get a smaller spur to reach the low ratios needed for stock brushless motors. Probably something around 88T spur and some high 50's pinions.

On another note: I have heard the stock C-hubs included with the Cyclone S are rather brittle. You might want to get some of the carbon C-hubs if you break the stock ones. The carbon hubs are the same hubs that come standard on the WCE and TC versions of the Cyclone.

HPI73518 4 degree carbon c-hubs
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #14438
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Depends if you are running a 27T or 17.5 motor.

27T CO27 gear 6.5 - 7.0 FDR (with rubber tires) depending on track and your particular motor.
-with a 96T spur you would need between a 33T - 36T pinion.

17.5 needs A LOT more gear. Try down in the 3.5 FDR range. Again, track size, motor brand and batteries all play a role in finding the proper gearing.
-you will need to get a smaller spur to reach the low ratios needed for stock brushless motors. Probably something around 88T spur and some high 50's pinions.

On another note: I have heard the stock C-hubs included with the Cyclone S are rather brittle. You might want to get some of the carbon C-hubs if you break the stock ones. The carbon hubs are the same hubs that come standard on the WCE and TC versions of the Cyclone.

HPI73518 4 degree carbon c-hubs

for 17.5 you're gonna want an 80t spur gear from here...
http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/products/26

and a range of pinions from which i suggest 54-58.
http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/products/7

I run 80/57 in cyclone with an orion 17.5



Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
Thanks to those whom have replied. I appreciate it.

I guess I just want to make sure I pick up a a good chassis in the Cyclone S.

I can't afford the TC spec right now, but just want a good competitive car out of the box. I just don't want to pony up the cash for a Cyclone S and then HB release and 2.0 version. That is why I asked if anyone here has any information if a new or revised Cyclone S will be released in the near future.

Any info?

Thanks,
hs
dont worry about that. The regular Cyclone S is doing well enough in sales and such that theres no need to update or re-release it and even so, if an update was released it would not be substantial (as is the story with regular cyclones. The original black one is still competitve and thats HOW many updates later?).
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #14439
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 84
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Depends if you are running a 27T or 17.5 motor.

[27T CO27 gear 6.5 - 7.0 FDR (with rubber tires) depending on track and your particular motor.
-with a 96T spur you would need between a 33T - 36T pinion.]

17.5 needs A LOT more gear. Try down in the 3.5 FDR range. Again, track size, motor brand and batteries all play a role in finding the proper gearing.
-you will need to get a smaller spur to reach the low ratios needed for stock brushless motors. Probably something around 88T spur and some high 50's pinions.

On another note: I have heard the stock C-hubs included with the Cyclone S are rather brittle. You might want to get some of the carbon C-hubs if you break the stock ones. The carbon hubs are the same hubs that come standard on the WCE and TC versions of the Cyclone.

HPI73518 4 degree carbon c-hubs

I'll be running a Team Orion Core Stock 27T motor w/ Maxamps 6 cell 4600's so you think anywhere between 33 and 36t would be good? I noticed on the Hotbodies site that the RTR comes w/ a 42t pinion and a 27t motor. Also for those of us dumb in the ways of electric what does FDR mean. I have no idea what you mean when you say 6.5-7.0 FDR. And thanks for the heads up w/ the hubs
rogueldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #14440
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,769
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

FDR= FINAL DRIVE RATIO

All motors have a sweet spot to be run at. The FDR is what most run that particular motor at and they may only have to be geared up or down one tooth depending on the track layout.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #14441
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Core stock's are weird to gear compared to Trinity motors. I cant help you there.

by the way
spur/pinion X internal drive ratio (should be 2.4375 for the cyclone) = FDR
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #14442
Tech Fanatic
 
rc pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Airdire, AB, Canada
Posts: 758
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

At the 1st Leg of the Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series (www.wcics.ca), I picked up the TQ and win in 19T with the Cyclone (unfortunately, we don't run mod in the series).
The XRay Canada team was out in full force (8 of them in the A-main, and 1 TC5), so it was nice to get the Cyclone dialed in.
For those of you running Rubber tires on Carpet, I'm including my setup. It's pretty close to one of Andy Moore's.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008-11-09_Cyclone_WCICS_Edmonton_PeterTozser.pdf (327.3 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by rc pete; 11-12-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: corrected setup sheet: used spool not one-way
rc pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #14443
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,769
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc pete View Post
At the 1st Leg of the Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series (www.wcics.ca), I picked up the TQ and win in 19T with the Cyclone (unfortunately, we don't run mod in the series).
The XRay Canada team was out in full force (8 of them in the A-main, and 1 TC5), so it was nice to get the Cyclone dialed in.
For those of you running Rubber tires on Carpet, I'm including my setup. It's pretty close to one of Andy Moore's.

Pete
Does anyone run a center oneway along with the front??? Just curious to know if that helps the car out any or is it overkill??
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #14444
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc pete View Post
At the 1st Leg of the Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series (www.wcics.ca), I picked up the TQ and win in 19T with the Cyclone (unfortunately, we don't run mod in the series).
The XRay Canada team was out in full force (8 of them in the A-main, and 1 TC5), so it was nice to get the Cyclone dialed in.
For those of you running Rubber tires on Carpet, I'm including my setup. It's pretty close to one of Andy Moore's.

Pete
What an awesome news!
Congrats on your winning of the WCICS!! Great job...
If you have any pics from the event, please send them to me at kasuyah@hpiracing.com I will put those on our web with the report.

Thanks!!
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #14445
Tech Fanatic
 
rc pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Airdire, AB, Canada
Posts: 758
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Does anyone run a center oneway along with the front??? Just curious to know if that helps the car out any or is it overkill??
Good catch, I was running a spool, not the one way up front. I did try the one way, because traction was good, but the car didn't transition as smoothly. One of the other Cyclone guys was trying a center one-way with the spool up front, but it didn't work out.

But in general, if you were running the front one-way, the center one-way wouldn't do much, since the front wheels are free-wheeling off power anyway. The only case where the center one-way would do something for you would be if you were running a diff or a spool up front. That's my take, but I recall seeing some old Massami Yokomo touring car setups where he did end up using both one-ways, for whatever reason.
rc pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Bodies Cyclone S wardyl Electric On-Road 4 10-01-2008 08:01 AM
Hot bodies Cyclone 12 k7king R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 09-04-2008 08:09 AM
WTB Hot Bodies Cyclone/ cyclone Parts tenpins77 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 07-29-2008 08:48 AM
Hot Bodies Cyclone sdt1 Australia For Sale/Trade 6 07-13-2008 03:05 AM
WTB: Cyclone S/Cyclone Painted bodies vazzo Australia Wanted to Buy 0 02-05-2008 06:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:42 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0