R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #14251
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Yup, less droop over ride height.

Arm sweep is something I've noticed usually affects the car right around the middle of the corner, and very slightly on entry.

Less arm sweep (0 deg front toe block) will turn in just a tiny bit harder for the first 10-15% of the corner, and be smoother for the rest of the turn.

More arm sweep (3.0deg front toe block) will smooth entry into the corner a bit, but give really good mid corner steering.

-Korey
Whats the difference of smooth steering and good steering.
I am running 1.5 toe block and 2.5mm droop over ride height
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #14252
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

By smoother, I mean understeer, or less overall traction at that point in the corner.

Good steering to me is lots of steering . so more overall grip in that part of the corner.

-Korey
Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #14253
Tech Addict

Quote:
By smoother, I mean understeer, or less overall traction at that point in the corner.

Good steering to me is lots of steering . so more overall grip in that part of the corner.

-Korey
would more front grip give more steering.
what i dont understand is when i look at the pros setup for the TITC they have 3mm under front camber link and for another track like my local track ( low grip ) they use 2 mm under front link .Whats the efect of more shims or less shims.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #14254
Tech Champion

They run 3mm of shims to take away some steering since the grip is much higher than your average track. The track where the TITC is held has REDICULOUS traction from what I've heard haha. It smooths the car out, and helps it scrub less speed from gripping too much.

When you use 2mm of shims it produces more overall traction, thus more steering ( esp. in the middle and exit of the corner). We tend to do this in lower-average traction conditions.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #14255
Tech Addict

Quote:
They run 3mm of shims to take away some steering since the grip is much higher than your average track. The track where the TITC is held has REDICULOUS traction from what I've heard haha. It smooths the car out, and helps it scrub less speed from gripping too much.

When you use 2mm of shims it produces more overall traction, thus more steering ( esp. in the middle and exit of the corner). We tend to do this in lower-average traction conditions.
so , less shims = more grip.
Whats the effect of less grip in the rear would it help the rear to change direction quicker ?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #14256
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:

-Korey
you forgot to mention "crazy stupid" steering which is what you normally run. for 90% of ppl..its called LOOSE.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #14257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the effect of shims under the camber link is considered Camber Rise/ Gain. It all depends on how the traction is.. higher inside links have less camber Rise/ Gain. you check it by using setup gauges, then compress the suspension and actually see the difference while watching the camber gauges with and without the shims.. Its still considered roll center, but a lot less opposed to the roll center shims under the hinge pin mounts. For me, longer links are for lower traction, the car also reacts slower/sluggish when transitioning. on my previous cars, i tried longer links, and the car kept turning mid corner and out. and reacted real slow.
As for more caster, that was the next thing, i wanted to try also. too see how much more on power steering i can find, and to drive the sweeper turns instead of squaring off(double steering) if ya know what i mean.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #14258
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What's a good setup for running Sorex 28 tires on a really high grip carpet track, with a 13.5 BL motor? Most of the team setups I see are using different tires, full mod motors, on unknown surfaces. Oh yeah, I'm using a front one-way now, haven't really tried a spool yet.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing

Last edited by Stealth_RT; 10-23-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #14259
Tech Apprentice

Default Cyclone Starting Pinion size

I have a LRP 5.5 Brushless system, I will be using in cyclone s. The factory spur is a 96. What size pinion should I start with. Also Is there a size issue with the pinion. If so what is the largest size that fits. I was thinking a 31tooth might be a good starting point but I'm not sure.
I have seen a setup with a 108spur and a 35tooth pinion. with the 5.5 brushless. So do I need to change the spur as well?

Thanks.
M-Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #14260
Tech Addict

more camber change = ??? what more grip or less grip , more steering or less ???
less camber change = ??? what more grip less grip ?????
Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #14261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Oops thought i was in the S thread.

Edited that post.....
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )

Last edited by mangoman; 10-23-2008 at 01:00 PM.
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #14262
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Typically when you move the camber link to the outer position on the read hub carrier, it will make the rear of the car really lazy.

Of course, this isn't always entirely true. It also depends on the amount of traction available on the surface. So I would just give it a shot, and see how ya like it

Hope that helped you some.

-Korey

Hope that helps.
Thank you Korey
I understand, just so ya know it I print most of your post for future reference, you have help me put this stuff all together and I like the way you explain things.
Thanks for your time!
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #14263
Tech Addict

hi , whats the efect of more camber change or less camber change , what does it do , less grip , or more grip .......
What do you mean "it will make the car slighish or lazy .
Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #14264
Tech Champion

Typically more camber change results in more grip, less camber change gives less grip. But like I said, it really depends on the track surface. It's something you'll just have to play with a little bit.

-Korey
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #14265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Hey guys

I have a toe in issue on my TC at the rear, it's basically showing 3.5 toe in on the left and 2.5 on the right and im using the 3 degree block. Has anyone had this problem any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Adrian