R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #12556
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
If you are getting charged half the price of a cyclone s for a brushless motor mount you should probably be looking to buy it somewhere else.

Like i said:
Depends on brushless motor and cells.
6 cell, 3.5 and 4.5 you probably need it
5 cell you dont.

If you dont understand what that means you shouldnt be running motors of that type and you wont need the brushless motor mount.

If you are going to run anything faster than 27T stock you would be better off considering a full level kit.

It sounds like you are new to racing, if this is the case you shouldnt be considering running anything bigger than 27T brushed 13.5T for a year. There is a lot more to learn than strapping in the fastest motor to a chassis. The cyclone S is a cheaper car its tuning options are little more limited and some parts less efficient/durable.

You should probably read/enquire in the Cyclone S thread for Cyclone S queries as most people here have probably never seen one.

Tub Cyclone `S`
mangoman - you seem to think I know absolutely nothing or that you know everything. I have been out of the hobby for a few years now, but before I raced with a TC3 racer (not Team or FT edition) and I was able to keep up with the guys running FT cars or cars with parts from Integy and Penguin. I always thought it was more about driver experience and track familiarity rather than car kit/bling/electronics etc. I figured most of the reason the top drivers run the top kits because the manufacturers want people to be interested in those cars instead of the cheaper cars so that they can make more profit. Sure, some parts need to be more durable than others if you are going to run faster motors (lower turns) or if you are going to pump more voltage to the motor (more battery cells). But other parts, say Aluminum turnbuckles upgraded over steel turnbuckles, seem more like a way to make more money for the rc companies (saves weight but the motors pump out more than enough power anyway).

Thanks for the help, but in the future, give me and others the benefit of the doubt. Consider this: in the same amount of words or less that it took you to tell me I shouldn't run a faster motor if I didn't know what you meant, you could have explained what you meant...
aviaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #12557
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well you were commenting without being very specific. And people who have been racing for a while usually know that if you want to run modified motors buying an entry level kit is not usually the go.

Unless you are specific it is very difficult to give an answer to a general question. Its like saying someone please give me the gearing of a motor which is green.

I mean you should have noticed in your research that the Cyclone S has dog bones and not universals.
Also if you havent been in the hobby for three years the top class of motors these days do at least double the amount of wear to cars than the top motors back then.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #12558
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

this issue with the rear hub is not unique to the cyclone. my old t2 xray had it, and so did the t1 fk 04 kit. it must be really difficult to manufacture these parts with high tolerance i guess
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #12559
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quick question for yous.

With the new pro diff. Are the bearings that go over the out drives same size as the ones from the older diffs?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #12560
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid TT-01 View Post
Quick question for yous.

With the new pro diff. Are the bearings that go over the out drives same size as the ones from the older diffs?
Yes the outdrive bearings are exactly the same size.
It is only the diff balls (have become bigger) and thrust balls (become smaller)that have changed.
jimbobmahua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #12561
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-dsc04823.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #12562
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

hey guys i have a setup sheet for you to look at...

the thing is that i bought my car used and it came in the mail the afternoon before a big race (HPI Challenge West Coast Regional) and i had no time to do setup work, just equip it and get it ready...

i drove it it worked amazingly and i won one of my qualifiers and placed 2nd in the other. Managed a 5th place qualification in the A-Main and ended up placing 5th (in the Electric Sport class which is 19t/10.5, neither of which ive ever raced since ive only raced stock/13.5). I was so impressed that i left it the way it was and never changed it but now i finally wrote down a bunch of the stuff incase i need to change it and go back...only problem is right now i dont have time to open up the shocks and see what pistons they are and i dont even know what shock fluid is in there. Regardless, maybe you guys can work off what i have and see if its good for whats there?

I also had to eyeball the measurements in mm for spacers/washers/etc. Yeah i know, sloppy...but whatever lol.

pardon the writing for my springs. I asked my brother to write the setup down while i was at work and i forgot to tell him the cyclone spring colors work different than his tc5's...oh well.

ok that didnt work too well...

anyone got a link where i can possibly input all my stuff to a setup sheet online?
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #12563
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
hey guys i have a setup sheet for you to look at...

the thing is that i bought my car used and it came in the mail the afternoon before a big race (HPI Challenge West Coast Regional) and i had no time to do setup work, just equip it and get it ready...

i drove it it worked amazingly and i won one of my qualifiers and placed 2nd in the other. Managed a 5th place qualification in the A-Main and ended up placing 5th (in the Electric Sport class which is 19t/10.5, neither of which ive ever raced since ive only raced stock/13.5). I was so impressed that i left it the way it was and never changed it but now i finally wrote down a bunch of the stuff incase i need to change it and go back...only problem is right now i dont have time to open up the shocks and see what pistons they are and i dont even know what shock fluid is in there. Regardless, maybe you guys can work off what i have and see if its good for whats there?

I also had to eyeball the measurements in mm for spacers/washers/etc. Yeah i know, sloppy...but whatever lol.

pardon the writing for my springs. I asked my brother to write the setup down while i was at work and i forgot to tell him the cyclone spring colors work different than his tc5's...oh well.

ok that didnt work too well...

anyone got a link where i can possibly input all my stuff to a setup sheet online?
Hi
Send me your personal email, and I will send you an interactive setup sheet, you can fill out on you pc, then you can upload it so we can see your setup
Cheers Malc TCCFM
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #12564
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Wondering if someone could help me out please. I have a cyclone-s I just got for racing VTA. This is my first on-road and first electric. I tried reading thru this thread but 419 pages is insane....I had to wipe the drool away after the first 15 as my brain was turning to mush lol.

I need some help with setting up the chassis where Im using the HPI vintage rubber tires specified by the rules on outdoor track.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

Any help would be really appreciated. I know some of the guys at the track said they will help me but if I can get as much done here as possible so as not to take all their time while they could be running before taking it to them it would help out alot. Even if its links to set up sheets or whatever that would pertain to the class and this chassis. Thanks in advance.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #12565
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
I am going to buy one of those packs I think.. I need a second pack, and im running stock so should be plenty

You have a cyclone now?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #12566
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
Wondering if someone could help me out please. I have a cyclone-s I just got for racing VTA. This is my first on-road and first electric. I tried reading thru this thread but 419 pages is insane....I had to wipe the drool away after the first 15 as my brain was turning to mush lol.

I need some help with setting up the chassis where Im using the HPI vintage rubber tires specified by the rules on outdoor track.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

Any help would be really appreciated. I know some of the guys at the track said they will help me but if I can get as much done here as possible so as not to take all their time while they could be running before taking it to them it would help out alot. Even if its links to set up sheets or whatever that would pertain to the class and this chassis. Thanks in advance.
You might want to read thru this thread - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

I'd set your cyclone up with the manual set-up, since that's a pretty decent asphalt set-up - unless you are running on carpet, which you didn't happen to mention the surface you're racing on....
Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #12567
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
You might want to read thru this thread - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

I'd set your cyclone up with the manual set-up, since that's a pretty decent asphalt set-up - unless you are running on carpet, which you didn't happen to mention the surface you're racing on....
Yeah I should have been more specific on track. Still getting used to this on-road stuff. As I said it was an outdoor track. I believe it to be asphalt. Ill know more after this weekend when I go down there and check it out. Thanks for the help. Ive skimmed that thread but Ill look more closely in it for manual set up info.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #12568
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yeah I should have been more specific on track. Still getting used to this on-road stuff. As I said it was an outdoor track. I believe it to be asphalt. Ill know more after this weekend when I go down there and check it out. Thanks for the help. Ive skimmed that thread but Ill look more closely in it for manual set up info.
I have what is pretty much the manual setup on my cyclone and i liked it alot - goodly amount of steering and grip...

Just be warned, the vintage tires do not have the greatest grip in the world...even wipping them down with Simple Green, doesn't help a ton - they are better, but great...
Old 06-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #12569
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
I have what is pretty much the manual setup on my cyclone and i liked it alot - goodly amount of steering and grip...

Just be warned, the vintage tires do not have the greatest grip in the world...even wipping them down with Simple Green, doesn't help a ton - they are better, but great...
ok thanks. Im hoping to see some of the running tomarrow at the track. maybe i can pick up a used set of tires too, to go to the local parking lots and practice handling. think a hitec 925 will be good enough servo for awhile?
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #12570
Tech Champion

Quote:
ok thanks. Im hoping to see some of the running tomarrow at the track. maybe i can pick up a used set of tires too, to go to the local parking lots and practice handling. think a hitec 925 will be good enough servo for awhile?
plenty good....