Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #11731
jaz
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
uh yes - that's the point I'm trying to make

I run 48P only (see above). And a 48P 81 spur hits the chassis (and sticks out) on my car. Let me know if what I wrote above was unclear in any manner.

Paul
Sorry, the first time through reading I must have only read the first paragraph. Makes perfect sense now
jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #11732
Tech Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue247carz View Post
Hi Birdman, I purchased a moorespeed cyclone last week and built Friday/Saturday and did notice that my rear toe was not even both sides. It should be the same 3deg both sides with the 3 deg block. As you look at the car from the front the left rear wheel is only toeing in 1.5deg and the right 3deg when running the standard 3deg block.
I did speak to Mirage Technical and they have tried to help but no joy. I have disassembled the rear of the car and checked everything. I removed the rear pivot pins and rolled them along a flat piece of glass and they are perfect, I have swapped both rear wishbones and hubs for my Tamiya ones and still no change.
I did notice that my cyclone has different colour of carbon than older versions that makes up the chassis, top deck and suspension mounts. Mirage said that HPI have recently changed there carbon supplier and it looks like for a cheaper version IMO, the carbon weave bends as it runs down the chassis and is very light in shade in comparison to the older black carbon. I'm wondering if the holes are incorrectly positioned and this makes my car crab badly. I also do not no where to go next as it is very difficult to find the reason.

Can Anyone Help Please?
I'm a little desperate too. Build my car last week and same problem and don't know what to do. If anyone knows someone at HPI/HOTBODIES Europe plz help us, because, National was this weekend and the car always acting strange its very dificult to drive the car with this diference in the rear. The only way i manage to do some consistent times was putting the 2,5 Block and the diference between right and left was a bit smaller and the rear don't reacts so strange.
Plz Help us.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #11733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

my car has the same issue, i think all of them do. If you check the car with a setup station you will see one side is truley 3 degrees and the other is about half or 2 degrees.
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #11734
Tech Addict

The problem is that mine has 3 on the right side and 1 on the left side.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #11735
Tech Elite

yeah thats how it is, do you think its a tolerance issue with the pivot block?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #11736
Woz
Tech Apprentice

i bought my cyclone wce about 6months ago (Normal colour carbon chassis) and everything is equal. I would ask to have the chassis checked. Have you used a proper setup station to check the rear toe (i.e. a hudy setup station) i would make sure everything is correct on the build.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #11737
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
yeah thats how it is, do you think its a tolerance issue with the pivot block?
It's not the pivot blocks they are all spot on, I have been measuring every one I can find and they are all within 0.03mm which could be me!

I Have spoken with Mirage UK who are the distributers for Hot Bodies in the UK and they think that it could be the wishbones or the hubs. They are sending me out a full set to try but I'm not convinced.

I have also been measuring the previous darker carbon chassis and they do measure up differently to the new lighter ones. The toe with the 3deg rear block still only measures 2.25deg each side though not 3deg
blue247carz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #11738
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

run 1/2 degree block in right rear and 0 degree left rear.. just kiddin now i gotta check mine..
Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #11739
Tech Addict

I run 81t, 48 pitch spurs on both by WCE cyclones with no problems. Ample clearance, and it's flush with the bottom of the chassis. Mangoman does too. We run the thin white spurs, RW brand maybe?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #11740
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

OK boys....I'm looking for a hot setup for rubber tire on carpet. This is new for me, I've never run rubber on a Cyclone (don't laugh). I might run a little asphalt this summer too although it'll be a shame to scratch up a chassis. Any help with setup would be appreciated!
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #11741
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
OK boys....I'm looking for a hot setup for rubber tire on carpet. This is new for me, I've never run rubber on a Cyclone (don't laugh). I might run a little asphalt this summer too although it'll be a shame to scratch up a chassis. Any help with setup would be appreciated!
just put a chassis protector on it, thats what Im gonna do. You can get them anywhere, hot bodies even has their own.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #11742
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
I run 81t, 48 pitch spurs on both by WCE cyclones with no problems. Ample clearance, and it's flush with the bottom of the chassis. Mangoman does too. We run the thin white spurs, RW brand maybe?
This is sooooooooo weird... I tried an 81 spur no later than saturday (raceday) and it did stick below the chassis like crazy on my Hara Ed... I'm wondering whether the WCE wouldn't already have modified motor mounts...

tonite is practice time - will check again.

thanks all for the help!
Paul
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #11743
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
A fantastic spool mod setup with grippy tires is Andy Moore's DHI winning setup, it worked beautifully on raceday saturday - remove the rollbars if grip isn't that fantastic as they do tend to make the car slide around a bit (still in a balanced manner though). I can't attach it as the pdf is too big but look it up on the web and it should be easy to find.

"base" setup for one-way grippy rubbers on carpet is the super-famous "1.5" setup - rolle centers raised 1.5mm via shims under all pivot blocks and ball joint holders on chassis side, 4mm ackerman, LWB all over, 40 to 50 oil all around with 3-holes 1.1mm pistons, pink springs front blue springs rear, 6mm droop front 5mm droop rear, that's with a mazda 6.

Laters
PAul

Last edited by Lonestar; 04-09-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #11744
Tech Elite

Yeah a lot of places have 81T listed as the largest spur you should run. People have run a slightly larger spur so that it pokes out slightly under the chassis (ive tried an 82 and that works fine).

I think they are RW Racing supalite spurs. However as they are thin and only screw in with only two holes so i find they tend to warp easily. You should probably use the CF spur gear plate to attach them but im a lazy old fart.

Ive got a xenon spur gear in at the moment which are meant to be the good stuff (i believe all the Team HB drivers use them, but 64 pitch of course). The spur is incredibily durable however my car is really noisy and im pretty sure its because the spur doesnt like the pinions which i use.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #11745
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
i bought my cyclone wce about 6months ago (Normal colour carbon chassis) and everything is equal. I would ask to have the chassis checked. Have you used a proper setup station to check the rear toe (i.e. a hudy setup station) i would make sure everything is correct on the build.
I have measured in a hudy setup station all the time. I'm really very disapointed and don't know what to do now. One race passed now and nothing to do, but at least i wish to save the rest of the championship. Does anyone know someone at HPI/HOTBODIES Europe?