R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #11641
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

you might have a warp in your outdrive thats putting undue stress on the screw itself! try replacing the outdrives and the screw, then coat the screw in some black grease. Are you using the pro 4 25mm screw or the Ti-coated 27mm?
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #11642
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard baker View Post
Gents
Im having trouble getting my WCE out of slow corners.
I run Stew Nobles complete setup with sorex 28 tyres indoors on carpet, with SP 10.5 motor, lipo and LRP Sphere TC.
i run CS high grip additive.
It seems if i keep the car rolling its fine but out of slow hairpins or corners where u have to brake, when getting back on the power the rear end steps out like a 2WD. Seems to be due to the torque of the brushless motor.
I have de tweaked the car, all settings are fine as car is superb through faster corners carrying massive corner speed.
Only thing i can think of is the diff feels a bit rough but adjusted correctly?
Help

Richard
Try LRP Carpet2 additive too, but stagger your rear/front application ;)

Last edited by Stew Noble; 03-31-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Stew Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #11643
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm using the 25mm screw, never had a problem before with it. I tried numerous different outdrive sets as well during qualies.
It's all water under the bridge now anyhow. For the main I threw in a rear diff that I had in another car....problem solved. The issue is, it cost me a spot in the A main in a fairly big regional race. I'll never trust these diffs again so bring on the new stuff!

BTW: with the rear diff working, the Cyclone had over a lap on the second place car in the B.
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #11644
Tech Master

@Stew
Does Elliot drives 008 now and What are your thoughts about 008 does it worth to go for 008
Cheers
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #11645
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
I'm using the 25mm screw, never had a problem before with it. I tried numerous different outdrive sets as well during qualies.
It's all water under the bridge now anyhow. For the main I threw in a rear diff that I had in another car....problem solved. The issue is, it cost me a spot in the A main in a fairly big regional race. I'll never trust these diffs again so bring on the new stuff!

BTW: with the rear diff working, the Cyclone had over a lap on the second place car in the B.
dude no wonder it snapped, the 25mm pro 4 screw is too short! try the 27mm ti-coated one! ive never snapped one with close to 50 runs on it!
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #11646
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
dude no wonder it snapped, the 25mm pro 4 screw is too short! try the 27mm ti-coated one! ive never snapped one with close to 50 runs on it!
I dodged the bullet for so long with the original screw and nut setup I never really considered anything else. Must be "carma" or something! I'll be stepping up for the pro diffs for sure now.
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #11647
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
@Stew
Does Elliot drives 008 now and What are your thoughts about 008 does it worth to go for 008
Cheers
Yep, Elliot is an Xray driver now.
The 008 is certainly a nice car, both in quality, how it appears on the track and a few cool innovations in design, in the UK there's a pretty big Xray team, so should you ever need assiatance, it's easy to get too.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #11648
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I hope my HB order comes in by Wednesday. I want to try the Andy Moore set up the next time out. Those #3 pistons are pretty hard to get a hold of. We'll see if they come. If not.....I'll rock the Scotty B. set up once again.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #11649
Tech Adept

ok i just build the pro spec diff for the first time and thought you guys might like to hear about it
to me it was a bit more difficult then the previous version but that could be lack of experiance.
the 1/16 thrust balls are definatly more tricky to handle and there are eight needed to go around the thicker diff screw.
the ceramic 3mm balls are very nice and and so is the new pulley
most critical i find is that the plastic(pom i think) outdrives feels a bit light and the finish on the D-ring support surface is not smooth it really needs to be rubbed with the white grease to seat the D-ring better
I opted for the pro alloy versions as it will need to keep up with my 6cell 4.5turn brushless kit.
these alloy outdrives have a very good looking finish on them. the three edged support does make the whole construction a bit easy to fall over when putting it together but once seated and tightened up it is fine.
once run in a bit it really did feel super smooth. compared to the old diff it feels like there is a bit more resistance, i think because the main balls are on a bigger diameter, but much much smoother.

hopefully the weather will clear so i can run it this weekend and i can see how many runs it holds up. the previous version diff lasted about five to six before feeling gritty.
tomracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #11650
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
I dodged the bullet for so long with the original screw and nut setup I never really considered anything else. Must be "carma" or something! I'll be stepping up for the pro diffs for sure now.
Jim, were you running the AME last weekend?
My thick chassied XRay was great on carpet with foams, but it will be useless on rubber... both outdoors and Carpet (next season we're running rubber tires instead). So I need to drop it for either the Cyclone, the TC5, or whatever EU edition XRays happen to be out: 008, 009, 010...

Is HB coming out with a LiPo/weight solution any time soon?
Associated is coming out with one for the TC5... sounds like it might be a plate that mounts to/fills the battery slots somehow, which would be much nicer than the odd pieces of lead that everyone else seems to be using.
rc pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #11651
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
Are you certain that HPI screw is shorter then HB Ti-coated one? I think HB measured the whole length of the screw (which is 27mm) while HPI measured only the screw itself and that why HPI only advertised 25mm.

Didn’t mean to bust your bubble but I don't think HPI screw is shorter then HB. Picture speak for itself unless my eyes and my camera are out of whack.

komkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #11652
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

And on the screw, the TI screw just snaps, Steel has give in it before it breaks

The TI HB's screw is pointless..... It just looks nice, till it goes in the diff, just a waste of a extra 4-5 bucks IMO
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #11653
jaz
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would recommend trying the Associated diff screw. Many people have had a lot of success running it in their Cyclone diffs rather than any of the HPI/HB screws.
jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #11654
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
And on the screw, the TI screw just snaps, Steel has give in it before it breaks

The TI HB's screw is pointless..... It just looks nice, till it goes in the diff, just a waste of a extra 4-5 bucks IMO
That is true. Only the advantage of the Ti-coated I can see is it will allow me to use the fancy ceramic grooved thrust bearing from RCMARKET.

Ti-coated shank, screw body, shaft or whatever you call it….is 0.0775 inch in diameter while HPI screw is 0.0790 inch. I ordered them bearings from RCMARKET but it won’t fit the steel screw but fit perfect with Ti-coated. I guess the black oxide hardened just made the steel screw slightly bigger.
komkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #11655
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by komkit View Post
That is true. Only the advantage of the Ti-coated I can see is it will allow me to use the fancy ceramic grooved thrust bearing from RCMARKET.

Ti-coated shank, screw body, shaft or whatever you call it….is 0.0775 inch in diameter while HPI screw is 0.0790 inch. I ordered them bearings from RCMARKET but it won’t fit the steel screw but fit perfect with Ti-coated. I guess the black oxide hardened just made the steel screw slightly bigger.
I didnt know the steel screw is bigger, hmm

Yeah, I have thought about using those, but never bought one lol.... Right now I have a TI screw from last year, it was my spare, so far its still perfect, but my diff was built perfect by a local racer....