R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #10681
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilesnr/c View Post
Got a question thought about this car for awhile im wanting to race outdoor asphalt and winter carpet. Would the RTR cyclone be good to start out racing with or whould i pick up a TC4?
I'd sell you my TC5 before I let you get a TC4. As for the RTR cyclone I don't know how it would hold up in the summer heat and how serious your racing would get. The RTR's are great if you're just starting out though. You can't go wrong in that department.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #10682
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Get some pics of the STLNLST car.... I need to know which one to hit
So I guess you're going to run mod with "US" big boys this year then if you have any hope of hitting my ride
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #10683
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I'd sell you my TC5 before I let you get a TC4. As for the RTR cyclone I don't know how it would hold up in the summer heat and how serious your racing would get. The RTR's are great if you're just starting out though. You can't go wrong in that department.

The cyclone S is nice, but the stock shocks BLOW!!!! Other then that, its not to bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
So I guess you're going to run mod with "US" big boys this year then if you have any hope of hitting my ride
If you want to see funny, give me a MOD motor, and you will see what can be broken that you never thought was possible

Naw, im all 19T, probably thats it, maybe 18R because Grant and I both want one, so that would be fun to..... But I need to learn to drive one car, before 2
Old 02-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #10684
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ive been told the stock shocks on the S arent too bad (remember it is a budget kit). However, when you build them they usually bind at the bottom and you need to get a drill bit and hollow it out evey so slightly (by hand).

There are few issues with the S, which i documented in another thread.

From what i read you also need to replace the C Hubs with regular carbon graphite C Hubs. Dont ever buy the cyclone s c hubs (they come joined as part of the molding and are made of some kind of brittle material which should break within your first few meets).

The center pulleys are plastic and can only be used with ball diffs, if you use a spool or oneway you have to upgrade the plastic pulleys to the regular cyclone alloy ones (including replacing the center shaft and spur gear holder).
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #10685
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

if your looking to hop up or find replacement parts, rcmarket.com.hk is the place to go!
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #10686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Anyone with a cyclone WCE know weather or not you need to change the spacers in the front pivot blocks (the same ones that alter the wheel base) when changing from the standard kit 2.5 toe block in the front to a 1.5 toe block?

like will it bind with the standard spacer as it will be jamming in between the 2 front pivot blocks from coming in closer together?
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #10687
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post
Anyone with a cyclone WCE know weather or not you need to change the spacers in the front pivot blocks (the same ones that alter the wheel base) when changing from the standard kit 2.5 toe block in the front to a 1.5 toe block?

like will it bind with the standard spacer as it will be jamming in between the 2 front pivot blocks from coming in closer together?
I went from a 2.5 to a 0 a while back, and I didnt have any problems..... There was no binding or anything
Old 02-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #10688
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post

Yes, going from 2.5 block to a 0 degree block will create binding. If you take your shocks off you will see the arms do not move freely in place.

You need to reduce the amount of shims, I used the HPI 3x6mm shims used in the diff of the cyclone (2) on each hinge pin and then finished it off with a .75mm pruple shim on both ends. Once you start playing with it you will see what im talking about, just keep shimming until there is no binding but there is no free play vertically on the arm itself.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #10689
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

hey so i was considering getting a cyclone WCE (moorespeed) with my tax return...but i've heard a little about an updated cyclone being in the works. Well im currently using a highly hopped up TC3 and seeing as it turned 9 years old this year...i think its time for a new car. I dont want to buy a cyclone only to lose out to it being "not current" again as ive been "not current" since i got the Tc3 in 2003. What should i do? I was interested in an Xray (t2 007 or 008) or JRXS-R or TC5 other than this (the TOP Racing Scythe looks freakin awesome too but uh...not cheap enough). How does the cyclone stack up against those guys?

so should i wait till maybe xmas and see whats goin on then? (i have no problem waiting, i just need to dial in my tc3 again since it took a big tweakin off a huge hit a few races back).
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #10690
Tech Elite

The cyclone is a awesome car!

There could be a new one on its way, either way, the MS will still kick butt at the track... The only thing I can complain about is the diff, But I dont have problems with diff screws any more, and I will put vinyl covers so the diff should stay nice and smooth

But id get the car you can get parts support for, if you can get HB's parts then get a cyclone man!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #10691
Tech Elite

well thats the thing...parts support around here is mainly in the Associated TC5 department and for some reason the TC5 just doesnt draw my attention. Parts support is mainly the realm of TC5 and JRXS-R, and though the R attracts me...i dunno i would rather get something else. The local hobbytown carries AE and Losi really good. No corally, xray, or *double checks*... yay HB is in full force there, sorta! Guess that seals my decision haha. I ran for a super long time carrying no extra parts for my Tc3 (and hardly ever having to buy any) so as long as parts are somewhat available im happy. Ill order the rest online (spare arms, c-hubs, etc).

but yeah. Whats wrong with the diff? I plan on using a sintered 13.5/GTB system and right now my Tc3 needs diff upgrades because its too much for the regular composite diffs.

tell me more about this "new one" on the way you speak of? Was it that 5-cell lookin one ive seen around? Gonna be a huge improvement (like JRXS vs. JRXS-R) or like Xray T2 vs. T2 007? If it isnt shaping up to be a huge thing, ill just get the WCE.

but im cheap and not willing to pay the $460 price tag (its the reason i have not gotten a new TC. I started with a $160 rtr Ofna Ob4 international and that thing rocked my sox off but had no parts support, so after a year and a half i got the FT tc3 for 180 and parts support is STILL strong...). I know a person or two who can get me a nice discount (a friend of mine got a JRXS-R for $250 new through this person...$250 im willing to pay haha).

yeah im cheap. :P
Old 02-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #10692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
Yes, going from 2.5 block to a 0 degree block will create binding. If you take your shocks off you will see the arms do not move freely in place.

You need to reduce the amount of shims, I used the HPI 3x6mm shims used in the diff of the cyclone (2) on each hinge pin and then finished it off with a .75mm pruple shim on both ends. Once you start playing with it you will see what im talking about, just keep shimming until there is no binding but there is no free play vertically on the arm itself.
thanks heaps
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #10693
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
well thats the thing...parts support around here is mainly in the Associated TC5 department and for some reason the TC5 just doesnt draw my attention. Parts support is mainly the realm of TC5 and JRXS-R, and though the R attracts me...i dunno i would rather get something else. The local hobbytown carries AE and Losi really good. No corally, xray, or *double checks*... yay HB is in full force there, sorta! Guess that seals my decision haha. I ran for a super long time carrying no extra parts for my Tc3 (and hardly ever having to buy any) so as long as parts are somewhat available im happy. Ill order the rest online (spare arms, c-hubs, etc).

but yeah. Whats wrong with the diff? I plan on using a sintered 13.5/GTB system and right now my Tc3 needs diff upgrades because its too much for the regular composite diffs.

tell me more about this "new one" on the way you speak of? Was it that 5-cell lookin one ive seen around? Gonna be a huge improvement (like JRXS vs. JRXS-R) or like Xray T2 vs. T2 007? If it isnt shaping up to be a huge thing, ill just get the WCE.

but im cheap and not willing to pay the $460 price tag (its the reason i have not gotten a new TC. I started with a $160 rtr Ofna Ob4 international and that thing rocked my sox off but had no parts support, so after a year and a half i got the FT tc3 for 180 and parts support is STILL strong...). I know a person or two who can get me a nice discount (a friend of mine got a JRXS-R for $250 new through this person...$250 im willing to pay haha).

yeah im cheap. :P
please fill us in where you can get a WCE cyclone for $250 new?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #10694
Tech Elite

oh no ive said too much! lol. Honestly i dont know if i can get it, its not likely to happen anyways. I'd be happy finding one used. "i know some people that know some people" is all i can say lol.

anyways...about those diffs you mentioned...
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #10695
Tech Elite

I use the hotbodies titanium diff screw/t-nut and haven't had any issues, just build the diff according to the manual and maintain it properly.