R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 PM   #8581
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

guys, what are those cobalt 27's supposed to be geared at? i was told 39/100, jw how that sounds.... or thats only to my track tho isnt it?

and can those sticker (i covered the motor with a cf sticker) cause high temps?

thx
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #8582
Tech Elite
 
mangoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,981
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

First learn to work with rollouts, if you are using foam tires that gear ratio means nothing. If you are using rubber tires that is a very high rollout of around 31.6mm

Go to gearchart.com to calculate rollouts rubber tires are effective 63mm diameter.

Typically a co 27 i used to gear around 25-27mm if the track is HUGE then 31 is possible to run but it would be a pretty boring stock track. The optimal motor gearing will change depending on the track so you should be walking around asking fellow racers what they are gearing their co27s at.

What do you mean by?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
and can those sticker (i covered the motor with a cf sticker) cause high temps?
Are you saying you stuck a CF sticker over the can? if so make sure you do not cover the vents. Although the holes double as inspection holes they are designed in a particular shape for a reason and that is they help to cool the motor.

A few motor tuners stick their labels over these vents and that is bad, i always pull stickers off the motors (if nothing else paper will insulate the motor slightly, unless it is made of some special thermal material, which i very much doubt, and im sure your carbon fibre sticker is made of some plastic which doesnt help to dissipate heat).

If your motor is still running hot look at using heatsink and or fan(s) to cool the motor or get a motor cooler to cool the motor before your race. Although if you get a motor cooler dont use this as an excuse to gear your motor higher, use it to help manage the wear and tear on the motor and stop it from fading towards the end of a heat.
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone!!!
www.smaracing.org
www.rchobbies.com.au - www.feralbatteries.com.au
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #8583
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
First learn to work with rollouts, if you are using foam tires that gear ratio means nothing. If you are using rubber tires that is a very high rollout of around 31.6mm

Go to gearchart.com to calculate rollouts rubber tires are effective 63mm diameter.

Typically a co 27 i used to gear around 25-27mm if the track is HUGE then 31 is possible to run but it would be a pretty boring stock track. The optimal motor gearing will change depending on the track so you should be walking around asking fellow racers what they are gearing their co27s at.

What do you mean by?


Are you saying you stuck a CF sticker over the can? if so make sure you do not cover the vents. Although the holes double as inspection holes they are designed in a particular shape for a reason and that is they help to cool the motor.

A few motor tuners stick their labels over these vents and that is bad, i always pull stickers off the motors (if nothing else paper will insulate the motor slightly, unless it is made of some special thermal material, which i very much doubt, and im sure your carbon fibre sticker is made of some plastic which doesnt help to dissipate heat).

If your motor is still running hot look at using heatsink and or fan(s) to cool the motor or get a motor cooler to cool the motor before your race. Although if you get a motor cooler dont use this as an excuse to gear your motor higher, use it to help manage the wear and tear on the motor and stop it from fading towards the end of a heat.

well i have been tryng, that rollout and all isnt my thing, i got the gearing from one of our fast guys

and no it isnt covering the vents at all i cut all those out, but i was undergeared so that was part i havent really ran the new gearing so idk for shure there.... and i was running 2 fans hooked into the batts, and even still the motor was hot, and theres 2 of them on bolth sides of the endbell lol so idk.... atleast my speedo is ALWAYS cold as can be lol
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #8584
Tech Regular
 
Elboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 329
Default Setups

Can anyone give me a good site to go to where I can get some good setups for carpet and also asphalt. anything recent etc. On most other sites, (associated, xray, losi etc) their drivers already have their reedy setups online but I can't find any cyclone set ups (andy moore reedy set up etc)

The only carpet setup I have is off of Hara's 2005 IIC foam tire setup. I went to cyclone depot but their setups were pretty old.

I have a good setup for my car now but I would like to see what other drivers are running and do some testing. Thanks.
__________________
CYCLONE WCE
Jaco / Airtronics
Much More / Team Orion

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #8585
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,963
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie
Can anyone give me a good site to go to where I can get some good setups for carpet and also asphalt. anything recent etc. On most other sites, (associated, xray, losi etc) their drivers already have their reedy setups online but I can't find any cyclone set ups (andy moore reedy set up etc)

The only carpet setup I have is off of Hara's 2005 IIC foam tire setup. I went to cyclone depot but their setups were pretty old.

I have a good setup for my car now but I would like to see what other drivers are running and do some testing. Thanks.
i got a really good one for asphalt, if you have the BMI carpet chassis i also have one for carpet
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #8586
Tech Regular
 
Elboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i got a really good one for asphalt, if you have the BMI carpet chassis i also have one for carpet
Here is a question:

I see a lot of guys running the BMI chassis on carpet....Is it necessary?

I ask this because I am running the regular chassis that came with the kit and my car is pretty hooked up. What is the advantage of having a BMI chassis?

What color is the chassis? (this I ask because a friend of mine has a BMI chassis but for a TC3 but I don't like the silver look of the chassis.)

Is the cyclone BMI chassis the same as the graphite colored one that came with the kit or is it silver as well?
__________________
CYCLONE WCE
Jaco / Airtronics
Much More / Team Orion

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #8587
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,963
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie
Here is a question:

I see a lot of guys running the BMI chassis on carpet....Is it necessary?

I ask this because I am running the regular chassis that came with the kit and my car is pretty hooked up. What is the advantage of having a BMI chassis?

What color is the chassis? (this I ask because a friend of mine has a BMI chassis but for a TC3 but I don't like the silver look of the chassis.)

Is the cyclone BMI chassis the same as the graphite colored one that came with the kit or is it silver as well?
i feel that the BMI chassis is great for carpet!! here is waht it looks like



Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #8588
Tech Regular
 
Elboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 329
Default

I see that the chassis has the chassis stiffeners on it. I just called BMI and I am going to have them send me some information.

Did you run your car on carpet with the regular chassis and then switch to the BMI?

If you did, what difference did you feel?
__________________
CYCLONE WCE
Jaco / Airtronics
Much More / Team Orion

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #8589
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,963
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie
I see that the chassis has the chassis stiffeners on it. I just called BMI and I am going to have them send me some information.

Did you run your car on carpet with the regular chassis and then switch to the BMI?

If you did, what difference did you feel?
actually i never ran the regular chassis on carpet with foams , i did runt it with rubber tires, but the BMI chassis with foams is the s#$t, Jason from BMI can hook you up with set ups too for carpet
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #8590
Tech Regular
 
Elboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
actually i never ran the regular chassis on carpet with foams , i did runt it with rubber tires, but the BMI chassis with foams is the s#$t, Jason from BMI can hook you up with set ups too for carpet
Thanks for the info Marcos. Are you coming to the IIC here in Vegas in September?
__________________
CYCLONE WCE
Jaco / Airtronics
Much More / Team Orion

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #8591
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,963
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie
Thanks for the info Marcos. Are you coming to the IIC here in Vegas in September?
I wish I could im getting surgery done in July and ill be out for 6to 8 weeks
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #8592
Tech Regular
 
Elboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I wish I could im getting surgery done in July and ill be out for 6to 8 weeks
That sucks. Hope you get better and come out and join us in Sin City next year.
__________________
CYCLONE WCE
Jaco / Airtronics
Much More / Team Orion

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #8593
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,963
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie
That sucks. Hope you get better and come out and join us in Sin City next year.
i hope so its my ankle so i can always sit and drive
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #8594
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,829
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie
Here is a question:

I see a lot of guys running the BMI chassis on carpet....Is it necessary?

I ask this because I am running the regular chassis that came with the kit and my car is pretty hooked up. What is the advantage of having a BMI chassis?

What color is the chassis? (this I ask because a friend of mine has a BMI chassis but for a TC3 but I don't like the silver look of the chassis.)

Is the cyclone BMI chassis the same as the graphite colored one that came with the kit or is it silver as well?
i do not offer the silver colored carbon fiber anymore.the chassis is a satin finish black carbon fiber.this is the same look as the stock weave but it has a satin finish.the material i use is more rigid than the stock carbon fiber also.the benefit of my kit is that it gives you added wheelbase adjustment,it is alot more rigid than the stock chassis for high bite carpet,it helps prevent tweak issues due to the more rigid material and increased bracing,and it comes with all the little bling features that i do on all my kits.the features are beveled battery slots and edges,pocketing under servo and bulkheads and also a pocket on the bottom of the chassis under the batteries for your battery tape to fit into without protruding past the chassis surface.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #8595
Tech Elite
 
fjm9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 3,003
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

any one ever break a center oneway? i just did. is the 3 racing one any good? its half the price of the factory one.

also anyone got a good setup for high grip asphalt? let me know i could use it.

right now i am an struggling with steering. i have gone to one way center and front. i think i am going to try and lay the front shocks down a peg and put the front pivot block to the same as the rear. and see if that help.. they also both have the 1.4 sway bar on them. springs are gold front silver in the rear. i know there is plenty more i can play with. it was my first time ever driving the car and first tie ever at that track... i am good second off the pace.
__________________
Xray '007 US and a bunch of other outdated stuff
fjm9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Bodies Cyclone S wardyl Electric On-Road 4 10-01-2008 07:01 AM
Hot bodies Cyclone 12 k7king R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 09-04-2008 07:09 AM
WTB Hot Bodies Cyclone/ cyclone Parts tenpins77 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 07-29-2008 07:48 AM
Hot Bodies Cyclone sdt1 Australia For Sale/Trade 6 07-13-2008 02:05 AM
WTB: Cyclone S/Cyclone Painted bodies vazzo Australia Wanted to Buy 0 02-05-2008 05:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:13 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net