R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #8251
Tech Addict

Because a lot of the reason for 5 cells being just as quick is that the cars are quite a lot lighter.

At the end of the day, none of us created the 5 cell rule, but it's something that we have to accept and use. (Having said that I only race at club level so still use 6 cells)
Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #8252
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
No. All I was saying is that you are giving creedence to the fact that if set-up and geared properly, thermalling and electronic failure would be drastically reduced.

To the guy that asked if Andy Moore thermals (or something to that effect), I dont think he is the sanctioning body spokesperson for 5 cell. He, like many others are just going by the rules. My point merely is, if pushing for 5 cell is due to thermal and electronic failure, then people need to look at set-ups, not always the equipment. In fact, now that there are cells that can accomodate longer run times, then to lessen heating issues, how about lengthening the race?!?!? It used to be adjust your car to get the most out of the cells...now that the cells can go easily for 5 minutes, how about accomodating the race to the cells, making drivers maximize their battery output?

ohhh ok sorry i missed that, but yeah more power (cells) decreases amp draw and all, which makes the stuff run cooler because it doesnt have to draw as much power to make it go the same speed........... so i can see why he asked if he thermals... but ur rite, gearing and all

but i wish there was a 3300 from someone that performed like a 4200 from ib
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #8253
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Now wouldn't it be great to keep the 1400g mark and instead of making it 5 cell mandatory, make it an option and allow folks to run li-po? Li-po packs are lighter, enabling li-po guys to compete. If, as some folks have pointed out, that 5 cell is equally fast, then why have 5 cell be the rule as opposed to the option?? Figure, run 5 cells, add weights to make it 1350g. Run 6 cells or 2s2p and shed items to get down to 1350g. All in all, the playing field would be competitive because EVERYONE would get to compete to see what is the better set-up.
I'm pretty sure the reason for going to 5cell is because of the wear it physically put on a car and the fact that it has just gotten too fast. Mod guys are are dropping in motor turns due to the increased capacity of the sub-c cell. The only reason that 5 cell is as fast in SOME cases (depending on track type and driver) is because the car is more settled and the driver has more realistic control of the car.That equals to an overall FAST LAP AVERAGE. There's quite a bit of playing around in this area with cell numbers in mod. Our state series was the first (anywhere) to start racing 6 minute races at the state level in stock and 19 turn for ROAR sanctioned races. Again, many racers don't believe in 5cells and maybe never will but it seems to have tightened up the mod racing here.

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #8254
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

I tried 5 cell 3.5 and the car felt very well balanced. I like the idea of less wear.

Has anyone tried to race Oval on asphalt with a Cyclone?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #8255
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROV
PS is it just me or is that photo cyclone missing a cell 6v will be off da pace..
and the large photo dose wonders for this page..............................pto
Dont tell me this is what started all this....any who
I had not seen 5 cell config before all our rules are for 6 cell, and there have been many good points brought up pro and cons.
Personally i love lipos all my rc aircraft ducted fans,and heli gear is 3s and when a cell dies remove it for a great 7.2 pack 2s...lipo = easy watts&amps
But the rules over here wont let lipo race at the track for racing. Somthing about the insurance and charging lipo at the track....Iv'e never had a problem.
Lipo technology will come in aventually but it might take a while,,,,it will be expensive and hard to legistrate and keep fair..
People bagged Hirobo for making a belt driven 4WD 18 years ago.
my 2 cents
PS you should'nt judge someone by there amount of posts here..

Last edited by ROV; 05-03-2007 at 06:31 PM.
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #8256
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I tried 5 cell 3.5 and the car felt very well balanced. I like the idea of less wear.

Has anyone tried to race Oval on asphalt with a Cyclone?
Why would you want to race a Cyclone as an oval car?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #8257
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROV
PS you should'nt judge someone by there amount of posts here..
If that was aimed at me, let me set you str8 on that. Dude came at me, made a comment like he has engaged in banter with me previously with only 2 count it 2 posts under his handle. I dont know about you, but someone with less than say 50 posts shouldnt direct comments at ANYONE unless he knows them off the boards.

I do however, agree with you on the Li-po thing. This months R/C CAR has in the comments and letters column, a letter by Bob Novak. He chimes exactly what I have been saying. That if weight and performance is an issue, then go Li-Po/brushless. The lightness of the pack will balance off the weight of the "heavier" brushless set-up and with the power and efficiency of brushless, less electronic failures. But EFRA hath spoken and people are sheep, so lets what happens.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #8258
Tech Regular

I want to race outdoors for a few week end and not up to date on what setup I should use, I don't want to get the spool because I am not going to race that much outdoors, the oneway that come with the kit is what I am shooting for, the question is I have the solid shaft where the spur go is it ok to run the oneway with the solid shaft? and what spring is most use for outdoors? the spring I have is the one that comes with the kit, are they any good to use outdoors? I think that is all for now, thanks.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #8259
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know the final drive of this car?

Thanx in advance.
mikez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #8260
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez
Does anyone know the final drive of this car?

Thanx in advance.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:33 AM   #8261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras
I want to race outdoors for a few week end and not up to date on what setup I should use, I don't want to get the spool because I am not going to race that much outdoors, the oneway that come with the kit is what I am shooting for, the question is I have the solid shaft where the spur go is it ok to run the oneway with the solid shaft? and what spring is most use for outdoors? the spring I have is the one that comes with the kit, are they any good to use outdoors? I think that is all for now, thanks.
Yes its ok to run the direct layshaft. Ive never used the one-way on it and been told it gets gritty and inconsistent easily.

Probably best to stick with kit setup and if in doubt use this http://www.hbeurope.com/pdfs/setup_A...ore_worlds.pdf

Actually youll probably want to dial out steering on that setup with a one-way
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )

Last edited by mangoman; 05-05-2007 at 02:54 AM.
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #8262
Tech Adept

hey guys just need a quick bit of advice regards building the Version 3 Spool.
the pins that slide into the drive cups seem a bit loose.
what can you do to stop this, how have you lot built yours?

cheers
chris_blakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #8263
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_blakey

cheers

heheh i was wondering wtf as well when i built em.. the bearings hold the pins in.. if your still unsure.. throw abit of the lube that comes with the spool on the pin to hold it in place till u get the bearing on...

el
elusiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #8264
Tech Adept

ahhhhh!!!

makes sense and fits now, was unsure and didnt fancy putting them in the car without asking someone!!

cheers mate
chris_blakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #8265
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_blakey

cheers
Yes all Ver. spool have this case !
but don't care use la !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote