R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #751
Tech Apprentice

never driven a belt how much different to the pro4 do you guys think the cyclone will be driving wise ??
chr15tophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #752
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if you're running mod...belt drive will have a smoother transmition. but it won't have the accelleration and rip of a shaft drive that is perfect for stock or 19T racing...

I've driven the yok BD that has a similar layout...I found the belt to be easier to drive.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #753
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies
if you're running mod...belt drive will have a smoother transmition. but it won't have the accelleration and rip of a shaft drive that is perfect for stock or 19T racing...

I've driven the yok BD that has a similar layout...I found the belt to be easier to drive.
is there a difference in driving techniques between belt and shaft cars while cornering?

Thanks in advance!
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #754
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

Why would acceleration be different? If two cars have the same FDR, why would one accelerate faster than the other? Is belt drive less efficient?
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #755
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

well one thing is for sure. a belt is more forgiving out of the corner because of the lack of torque a shaft would supply. because of that trottle control changes a bit. with a belt if you over powered out of the coner a belt has less tendency to fishtail or torque steer out of a corner. but it can play the other way as if you made a mistake entering or int he middle of the corner where you might of lost momentum the torque of a shaft will allow you to make up some of that lost ground with a quicker exit from the corner
Old 08-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #756
Tech Elite

yes a belt is less efficent in exiting a corner in the matter of it being like a rubber band, it flexes so on hard throtle the belt gives but then bounces back which may give a belt car a better top end. if you listen close to some belt cars (if there is a tight corner before a long straight which makes the driver punch the throttle on exit) it may make a diverent sound after a few feet or longer of exiting the corner, as if it were almost changing gears. however that sound if just the belt on the rebound putting the lost power fromt eh end of the corner back into the straight line speed. a shaft and its gears have no give, which is why you break gears. but the power from the motor is put directly through the drive train to the ground.

Last edited by fjm9898; 08-24-2005 at 04:38 PM.
fjm9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #757
Tech Elite

i hope what i said made sense
Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #758
Tech Addict

I understand completely. But after the car has reached it's top speed, the load on the belt would be constant, so I don't see how it can keep stretching and then exerting it's power again, at least while it is at full throttle. But while accelerating, that makes perfect sense. But if my logic serves me correct, then shafts would be optimal if the belt doesn't keep relaxing and flexing at full throttle.
-Josh
Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 PM   #759
Tech Elite

when you let off the trottle it would relax again which would aloow its to act as a band again during acceleration
Old 08-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #760
Tech Addict

I figured that. But if shafts have quicker acceleration and the same top speed, I don't know why anyone would consider a belt... I guess it all comes down to preference...
-Josh
Old 08-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #761
Tech Elite

no belts can and usualy have just a bit more top speed because of the rubber band effect that can through them twards a high top end. but if you try and run mod with a shaft vs a belt its much harder because the shaft is to effecient and the torque catches drivers off gaurd. also since a belt gives, you break less. and the faster class you run the more drivetrain parts you will break. that is the big turn off to most people is the fact they you blow out so many of the drive train parts where a belt all a oneway or a spool will lock up is the dog bones where with a shaft you can break gears and drive cups. but i have seen that belt one ways are more prone to breaking (i have seen a MI2 and yok oneway blow out) where i have yet to see a shaft drive oneway bolw out. but our course that coudl jsut be what i see vs what is accually the facts.

but you see the cars are pretty even, it all comes down to driver prefrence. i am going to keep my pro4 for stock racing because of the less amount of speed and power i break less parts and with a stock motor no having huge amounts of power, torque steer is less of a problem. i am going to get a cyclone to run 19t and mod with.

and as you can see more and more manufacturers are making one of each car to play both sides of the market and play to those personal prefences to both sides. Tamiya has been playing both sides with high performance shaft and belt cars. Yok as well has both a high performance belt and shaft car. now HB/HPI is getting into the market. now dont be expecting to see x-ray ot corrally to come out with shafts but you never know they might. and here would be a kicker. there has been rumors around the time Assoc. brought out their FT TC4 that they might be in the market of producing a belt car next.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #762
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have to chime in here because you guys are way off. Kevlar reinforced belts are NOT like rubber bands. They can stretch a minuscule amount under load but you are talking 10ths of a percent. Belts are faster because once they are moving the are more efficient than shaft systems. Also please note that the shaft itself has only a small amount to do to with the properties of a shaft car. We are really talking about the properties of bevel gears. Under high loads gears are good but the gear lash in the system starts to fight you at high speed and causes some really odd harmonics in the drive train. This slows shaft cars at high speed.

That said you are talking really small differences here. On any day any car can win if it has a good setup and a good driver at the wheel. But in controlled testing belts are faster and more efficient

Give Hara some credit here. Don't you think he has done back to back testing? I haven't asked him but I am pretty sure he has. What car is he running now...end of discussion...lol!

Last edited by AdrianM; 08-24-2005 at 08:47 PM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:47 PM   #763
Tech Elite

lol i am not saying one car is better then another. i just said i am going to use both. i was just saying what make one car better then another and visa versa. and like i said belt is better for mod. and what does hara run.. MOD. also the man designed them both i.e. they are both great cars. and furthermore one reason why he is driving the cyclone lis to sell it lol. how doumb would it be to make the car and not use it, its not going to make anymore. further more the suspension is the same only difference is drivetrain and like i said a belt drive train is better in mod.

so in short i am giving the man crap loads of credit, he designed both cars and both are top cars. also i stated its personal preffecnce he just might like belt drive better. but i was simply stating the differences between the two cars. and not stating the cyclone was crap or why would i be buying it. lol read a bit more carfully before you flame.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #764
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm9898
lol i am not saying one car is better then another. i just said i am going to use both. i was just saying what make one car better then another and visa versa. and like i said belt is better for mod. and what does hara run.. MOD. also the man designed them both i.e. they are both great cars. and furthermore one reason why he is driving the cyclone lis to sell it lol. how doumb would it be to make the car and not use it, its not going to make anymore. further more the suspension is the same only difference is drivetrain and like i said a belt drive train is better in mod.

so in short i am giving the man crap loads of credit, he designed both cars and both are top cars. also i stated its personal preffecnce he just might like belt drive better. but i was simply stating the differences between the two cars. and not stating the cyclone was crap or why would i be buying it. lol read a bit more carfully before you flame.
I sincerely apologiose...my post was not meant to flame at all. Just clear up misconceptions.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #765
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

thats what i am doing ill use the pro4 for stock and cyclone for 19t or mod