R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #7366
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1

Schreff, you guys are running slower classes like stock right?
I think the aluminum outdrives are mainly for mod.

Anyway, unless something changed the black cyclone does not have upper bulkhead pieces that have the extra bracing material (like all hara/surikarn/moore cars do).
Just something else to consider when evaluating the price of the WCE.
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:17 AM   #7367
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodo1
Schreff, you guys are running slower classes like stock right?
I think the aluminum outdrives are mainly for mod.

Anyway, unless something changed the black cyclone does not have upper bulkhead pieces that have the extra bracing material (like all hara/surikarn/moore cars do).
Just something else to consider when evaluating the price of the WCE.
Larry has basically only run his car in stock. He's worried about breaking diff screws as he has gone through like 7 of them. Once he built his new WCE, he hasn't had a problem. I've been running my car in stock and 19t for some time now. No problems.

And yes, the black cyclone does not have the bracing on the upper bulkhead. I've been running a black cyclone since November '06. I've hit my share of things and haven't bent any aluminum on the car.

One other note... Larry and I run the exact same radio gear in our cars. At SnowBirds, his WCE needed 1.5 ounces of lead to make weight. My black cyclone needed 2.5 ounces to make weight. Believe me, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out where to put the lead. I was kinda surprised about that. Same everything except for the edition of the car. Hmmm.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #7368
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

Schreff, Larry, and Marcos: I have been experimenting with the rear CF brace of the Cyclone, the one that goes over the middle shaft where the Spur gear goes on...well, since the bulk heads are split on the CYclone, and what binds them together is that brace, maybe by just using just 2 screws instead of the 4 or 6, it might allow a bit more flex/traction at the rear, like the Xray MTF deal...I have tried it now, and with only 2 screws, I get a bit of understeer at front. I then use all 6, and the understeer goes away...hmmmm

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #7369
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
To all cyclone owners

I recently purchased a black version cyclone from Stormer and raced it and loved it. I am thinking of buying another one. I have the WCE edition on order at Tower. But I am thinking about just getting another black version since it is on sale. For those of you who have both the WCE and the black version, do you see any major performance differences between the two cars? I like the WCE for its bling but do you think the bling will contribute to significant performance improvements? I can imagine that certain parts on the WCE may be more sturdy. However, I can save money on buying the black version if the performance is on par with WCE. Do you think the parts on WCE will yield lower lap time compared to the black version? Please give suggestions.

Thanks
Hi there
my first post i think i made this account a whileago when i had a losi so ignore the name. i am a cyclone man
rite i race againt a normal cyclone and i run the morre speed edition now i do beat him a lot hes always in a lot lower final.
ive just about the top of the shocks moving when you undo the coller that happens to me so i may have to try going at it with a toothbrush
i think to cyclone the best car ive driven i mean comparing it to the jrxs it just kills it
JRXS driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #7370
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guo Chean
did you know where can i get this bumper? is that same hardness as P-Dub?
Try any online store in HK. It only sell for $6 a piece. Havent seen Pdub but its firm.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #7371
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to losi09

Man it sounds like the black Cyclone bracks a lot. I jus got that car too is there any parts and upgrad parts I should buy? and what sould I what parts should I watch out for on the car?
losi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #7372
Tech Elite

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi09
Man it sounds like the black Cyclone bracks a lot. I jus got that car too is there any parts and upgrad parts I should buy? and what sould I what parts should I watch out for on the car?
The Cyclone is a great car that is suited for good driving skills. If you are hitting things or getting hit, the car will break, since its a bit weak in some areas. To make it strong, you need to get the following, especially if you run modified type motors: get titanium ball studs for the rear hub camber links. The stock ones tend to snap if hit hard, and it will ruin a perfectly fine Hub, since half the ball stud screw is stuck inside and there's no way of getting it out. The stock bones are also a bit fragile, and tend to bend quite easily. Get the heavy duty steel ones, or get the version 2 dog bones, which are bit beefier and stronger. Also, the rear diff- you must tighten it correctly, or you'll be pulling your hair out rebuilding it due to snapping diff screws or meltdowns...other than that, the Cyclone is great. All those issues are non-issues with the Hara and WCE kits, but you can can always upgrade parts and make them as strong and reliable as the WCE. Hope that helps...

"Release the Kraken"
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #7373
Tech Rookie

erm where did u hear that from ive neva had the car brake i did an enduro with it all i got was a bent king pin that was a gig acciedent i replaced the wishones just incaes ive speced them there fine i think the thing indestructable touch wood i mean all hpis like the pro 4 neva break so i cant see the cyclone breaking to much
JRXS driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #7374
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
it's not just the Black version that break..
all versions use the same suspension system that came from the Pro4.

to decrease any suspension breaking it to invest in the P-dub bumper and or do the TC3 BRP bumper plate mod to fit the cyclones.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSR44&P=7
Parma also sells a rigid foam similar to P-dub..unfortunately not available for the cyclone..but they do have a solid block that you can cut out your own bumpers from.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPUR6&P=7

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #7375
Tech Elite

Talking 3Racing Drive Shafts

Has anyone tried out these Cyclone driveshafts made by 3Racing:

http://precisionrc.com/nv/car/produc...oduct_id=52265

"Release the Kraken"
Old 02-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #7376
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim

http://precisionrc.com/nv/car/produc...oduct_id=52265
i would stick with the steel ones from hotbodies
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #7377
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXS driver
erm where did u hear that from ive neva had the car brake i did an enduro with it all i got was a bent king pin that was a gig acciedent i replaced the wishones just incaes ive speced them there fine i think the thing indestructable touch wood i mean all hpis like the pro 4 neva break so i cant see the cyclone breaking to much
The period key (.) is on the lower right hand side of the keyboard
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #7378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Quote:
The only part on the car that seems to break easily is the steering block. It even takes a decent hit to break that too. Not using the small plastic bearing crush helps. If you do use that bearing crush, hitting something hard enough will usually break a steering block into 3 or more pieces. The caster blocks and arms are pretty strong.

But yes... do look into a Pdub or some other aftermarket bumper. Hara broke plenty of stuff at SnowBirds. When he felt Larry's bumper on his Cyclone (Parma T2 Bumper - similar to a Pdub bumper), Hara immediately ran to the hobby store and purchased one.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #7379
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff
The only part on the car that seems to break easily is the steering block. It even takes a decent hit to break that too. Not using the small plastic bearing crush helps. If you do use that bearing crush, hitting something hard enough will usually break a steering block into 3 or more pieces. The caster blocks and arms are pretty strong.
thats about the only part that i broke in the cyclone and i hit alot of things
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #7380
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim

http://precisionrc.com/nv/car/produ...roduct_id=52265

Yes they've worked fine for me. However they don't appear to be nearly as strong as the Ver2 or MIP shafts. Expect to be replacing them more often than the HB ones... but they are inexpensive.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote