R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #4726
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

On the ballstud issue, use a lil longer ballstud, as long as it clears the outdrives. I have had one break, but dang im lucky I didnt do more on that hit. With some threads hanging out the bottom you can easily remove the leftover and get back to racing. Here is another piece of advice which may be taken wrong but its the truth. If you are in the process of wrecking use the brakes, don't try to be a hero and ride it out. If the car is in mid air, I have frequent flier miles thanks to road rails, let off the throttle. This will help save your drivetrain too since your not full peg on touchdown. Put the v2 steel outdrives up front, especially if using a spool.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #4727
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys the best fix for the HPI ball studs is to get the Sqaure Titanium ones. They are virtually bulletproof and are lighter.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #4728
Tech Elite

I have a few of the Square Ti ball studs. But my question is where can you get them that have them in stock?

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #4729
Tech Initiate

Wassup guys... I'm new to Cyclone, everyone said that Cyclone is a easy driving car, but i still cant find the benefit of this car. In fact, i cant even setup the car properly. Can you guys give me a hand?

My current setup: -1 degree camber front and back, 6 degree droop front and back, shock oil 45 front (white HPI spring) and shock oil 35 rear (gold HPI spring).... This is the best setup so far, before this even worst.

I found the car no traction at the rear when entering corners, you can say it's extremely understeer. back to tyre wear, it's obviously less tyre wear at the rear, front is ok, but at the rear, just imagine the look of the tyres that hardly touches the ground. I was thinking, is the suspension at the rear too hard? should i change it to PINK spring?
mun fei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #4730
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mun fei
Wassup guys... I'm new to Cyclone, everyone said that Cyclone is a easy driving car, but i still cant find the benefit of this car. In fact, i cant even setup the car properly. Can you guys give me a hand?

My current setup: -1 degree camber front and back, 6 degree droop front and back, shock oil 45 front (white HPI spring) and shock oil 35 rear (gold HPI spring).... This is the best setup so far, before this even worst.

I found the car no traction at the rear when entering corners, you can say it's extremely understeer. back to tyre wear, it's obviously less tyre wear at the rear, front is ok, but at the rear, just imagine the look of the tyres that hardly touches the ground. I was thinking, is the suspension at the rear too hard? should i change it to PINK spring?

try this set up
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #4731
Tech Fanatic

If you have a Hara and are using rubber on tarmac..use the stock setup IN THE BACK OF THE BOOK (its different from the build setup) this is a very good starting point.
Barger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #4732
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilRuf
I have a few of the Square Ti ball studs. But my question is where can you get them that have them in stock?
Not sure where they are available in the states. However Champs has a good amount of both sizes, so I'll probably be stocking up on them. Maybe I'll sell a few
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #4733
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barger
If you have a Hara and are using rubber on tarmac..use the stock setup IN THE BACK OF THE BOOK (its different from the build setup) this is a very good starting point.
Thanks, buddy... I'll try out your setup.. Yup, i'm running rubber on tarmac.. By the way, i'm from Malaysia, weather over here is kinda hot, tats y i'm using Sorex 40R... i dont know whether your setup suits me or not but i'll try it out..

But at this moment, i really have a problem driving it.. i'll run it today and i'll let you know how is it...
mun fei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #4734
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mun fei
Thanks, buddy... I'll try out your setup.. Yup, i'm running rubber on tarmac.. By the way, i'm from Malaysia, weather over here is kinda hot, tats y i'm using Sorex 40R... i dont know whether your setup suits me or not but i'll try it out..

But at this moment, i really have a problem driving it.. i'll run it today and i'll let you know how is it...
what class are you running?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #4735
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

How have you guys found the car is when adding/removing spacers from underneath the toe blocks?

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #4736
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Alonso
How have you guys found the car is when adding/removing spacers from underneath the toe blocks?
I run antisquat in the rear and it works really well (2mm shimm in the front and 1.5mm in the rear)
Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #4737
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Hmmmm, i have the car setup as per the manual basically, and I'm noticing it to be quite twitchy in the rear end. The manual runs with no spacers underneath at all, so I'm just wondering if I should try 1mm under each block like that "standard" setup uses. It looks as though most on this forum use 1mm or higher spacers underneath the toe blocks.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #4738
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
I've had the HB Cyclone for 3 weeks now. The car is defenitely the best car I've driven to date. Its easier to drive than anything i've seen, and well made and easy to work on. However, its a bit weak in these areas:

2. Bearings: the rear 15x10 diff outdrive bearings are feeble! These have already fallen appart!

4. Rear ball diff is not sealed or covered like Xray, which uses labirinth dust covers or other kits which have some kind of cover system to prevent dust from creaping in. After 5-6 runs, diffs have to be cleaned...this sucks.

Have the Surikarn or Hara versions addressed some of these issues? Anyone know of any parts/suggestions to improve on these areas?
2. Basically all japanese sedans (and xray, and more) use 10x15 diff support bearings. HPI is not unique in this regard. You should be having no problems with diff bearings, but perhaps you should look into ceramics for replacements.

4. Use circle cutter and vinyl (black) to make dust covers. Check the hara build guide for pictures of what these look like.

Hara and Surikarn kits address none of your issues. They do fix many problems of the black car (bulkheads, machined outdrives w/ blades, etc) none of your issues are "fixed".
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #4739
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
try this set up

1.1 2 hole pistons? are you mistaken?
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #4740
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodo1
1.1 2 hole pistons? are you mistaken?