R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #19636
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Hello everyone,

I now own a dead-stock (as far as I can tell) cyclone tc, and am hoping to get back into racing with it. However, I can tell I need to change some things around to get it to work with Lipo as well as a Brushless setup.

I just ordered an exotek chassis to solve the lipo problem, but under what circumstances do I need to use the BL motor mount? Some of the posts above state that the only difference is a slight change in height, so is it only required for certain gearing combinations?

Also, what parts commonly break/go wrong on the cyclone tc? I wouldn't mind trying to find some spares to have kicking around, since I know this is a bit of an aging chassis.

Lastly, any recommendations for motor/esc/batteries for the cyclone for racing 17.5 lipo? I have been away from r/c for a long long time, so my knowledge is a little antiquated when looking at today's technology. Thanks for any and all help!
A Cyclone S has been my main car for the last 2 seasons and the only parts I have ever had to replace are front hubs and diff/spool cups. Based on the way I drive, the car is pretty darn durable.

Parts availability has been a bit of a challenge recently so I just buy two of everything when they become available. You just have to hit the online stores and check on what is in stock from time to time.

Someone else will have to comment on the brushless motor mount. i have the stock one and can make FDR for blinky no prob.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #19637
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I now own a dead-stock (as far as I can tell) cyclone tc, and am hoping to get back into racing with it. However, I can tell I need to change some things around to get it to work with Lipo as well as a Brushless setup.

I just ordered an exotek chassis to solve the lipo problem, but under what circumstances do I need to use the BL motor mount? Some of the posts above state that the only difference is a slight change in height, so is it only required for certain gearing combinations?

Also, what parts commonly break/go wrong on the cyclone tc? I wouldn't mind trying to find some spares to have kicking around, since I know this is a bit of an aging chassis.

Lastly, any recommendations for motor/esc/batteries for the cyclone for racing 17.5 lipo? I have been away from r/c for a long long time, so my knowledge is a little antiquated when looking at today's technology. Thanks for any and all help!
You don't need the BL mount. You can get the correct gearing for Mod all the way down to Blinky 17.5 without it. Just have to switch between smaller spurs for spec and larger for mod.

For the TC I would have extra arms, steering blocks, c-hubs and rear hubs. Luckily, these parts are still used on the current TCX. If you want a-arms that will survive just about anything, pick up the standard Pro-4 arms. You lose a couple of extra shock tuning positions but gain lots of durability.

Reedy, Revtech, Thunder Power lipos are very good. Tekin RS, LRP SXX SS esc's are popular in the 17.5 classes. Especially boosted.

Reedy Sonic, Epic D3, SP MMM and LRP 17.5 motors are quite popular.

Hope I could help.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #19638
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
under what circumstances do I need to use the BL motor mount? Some of the posts above state that the only difference is a slight change in height, so is it only required for certain gearing combinations?
You would only need the BL motor mount if you run Mod
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #19639
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello everyone,

This is the first thing i would get. Even with the Extotek chassis getting lipos out is a pain in the butt. This upper deck makes changing out batteries so much easier.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Conversion-Set
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #19640
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

is there a place anywhere i can get the rtr of pro version still new?
For_the_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #19641
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d View Post
This is the first thing i would get. Even with the Extotek chassis getting lipos out is a pain in the butt. This upper deck makes changing out batteries so much easier.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Conversion-Set
I dont think its worth it for that amount. Also flex looks unequal on that upper deck. For lipos to fit you just need to dremel away 1.5- 2.0 mm under the middle bulkhead.

The HBX chassis is not bad. The flipped belt version allows to move your receiver and esc closer to the centerline. I also suggest running a lipo over 300grams to get it balanced.

The chassis has lots of flex. For prepped high bite track I had to run the 2.5mm upperdeck to compensate.

Just get a parma hard foam bumper. Never broke any front end parts since.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #19642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Guys..

Anybody know what is the difference between the Hot bodies Subaru body type A,B and C?
KELVIN KHNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #19643
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. I have another question though, this time pertaining to gearing. I will be running a D3 17.5 (blinky) on a medium sized carpet road course (rubber tire), and am curious what sort of gearing I should be starting with? I can fine tune it once I start racing more, but I am just looking for a general starting point. I found some cyclone gearing charts for both the 16 and 18t pulleys, but don't know what fdr I should use as a starting point. I will be asking around at the track, but wouldn't mind ordering some parts online to just be prepared beforehand (and since they are cheaper).
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #19644
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for all of the help, everyone. I have another question though, this time pertaining to gearing. I will be running a D3 17.5 (blinky) on a medium sized carpet road course (rubber tire), and am curious what sort of gearing I should be starting with? I can fine tune it once I start racing more, but I am just looking for a general starting point. I found some cyclone gearing charts for both the 16 and 18t pulleys, but don't know what fdr I should use as a starting point. I will be asking around at the track, but wouldn't mind ordering some parts online to just be prepared beforehand (and since they are cheaper).
I run on a track similar to that running rubber 17.5/blinky and have the 18 tooth pulleys in my car. I have been using an FDR between 3.8 and 4.0, gearing right now is 93 tooth spur and a 50 tooth pinion. Temps after a six minute race are at about 150 degrees.
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #19645
Tech Master

I want these on Xray!!!!
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #19646
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've seen this question asked before, I was curious if there was an update, and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything..

What options, if any, do I have for a gear diff in my TC?

Open to mods, etc. What fits?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #19647
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbachus View Post
I've seen this question asked before, I was curious if there was an update, and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything..

What options, if any, do I have for a gear diff in my TC?

Open to mods, etc. What fits?
check back the last page or 2 - guys asked about putting the Spec-R TCX diff in the cyclone...I explained what i did when i had one in mine..

also search for my name, I even posted pics of it IN my cyclone TC - but that was around Feb/Mar of this year
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #19648
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I recently bought one used, and not quite sure if the belts should be taut? the belts on it now look loose. also in hi traction surface, I can hear something skipping, maybe the belts.
iDChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #19649
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDChuck View Post
I recently bought one used, and not quite sure if the belts should be taut? the belts on it now look loose. also in hi traction surface, I can hear something skipping, maybe the belts.
I run mine as loose as possible, without skipping. I think those HPI belts would get chewed up quick if they slip enough.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #19650
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys, I'm looking to get new front universal drive shafts for my Cyclone TC. I currently use the HB 2-way as a spool up front, and see that the pins at the end of my driveshafts that feed into the 2-way are are worn down to slivers of metal. Is there a way to keep this from happening in the future? Also, what do you guys recommend for replacements? I am considering the HB DCJ's but am concerned about the wear I've experienced with the set I'm trying to replace.
Jato Fox is offline   Reply With Quote