R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #19621
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
Are most Cyclone TC racers using the stock front and rear arms or are you using arms from Pro4???
Thanks
idbdoug
Stock arms are just fine. Never had any excessive breakage. For extra front end protection use a parma front bumper. I think I broke more 2.0mm top decks than arms
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #19622
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb22185 View Post
ok then i must have the stock mount. Becase on mine i dont use that little pice of alum that had 2 screw holes in it. and with the brushless mount i would have to use that right?
Yes...... that is right.
The only difference between the stock motor mount and the BL motor mount,,,,,,,,The lay shaft is 2mm higher then the stock motor mount,,,, Thats what gives you the room for a 4mm larger spur gear.
They should have called it a lay shaft riser, but they didn't so lots of people make the same mistake.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 08-06-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #19623
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post
Yes...... that is right.
The only difference between the stock motor mount and the BL motor mount,,,,,,,,The lay shaft is 2mm higher then the stock motor mount,,,, Thats what gives you the room for a 4mm larger spur gear.
They should have called it a lay shaft riser, but they didn't so lots of people make the same mistake.
Thanks.. Now ill Be on the hunt for a Extra motor mount! LOL
tcb22185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #19624
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb22185 View Post
Thanks.. Now ill Be on the hunt for a Extra motor mount! LOL
Your very welcome

Happy I could be of some help
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #19625
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post
Your very welcome

Happy I could be of some help
its nice that there is still guys out running this car. i think its still a good car for its age!
tcb22185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #19626
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

selling my cyclone with exotek conversion

WTS: Cyclone TC w/ Exotek lipo conversion
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #19627
Tech Regular

I know this is the cyclone thread, But I'm picking up a mint Cyclone TC from a local hobby shop ownder, It's a roller with a Servo for $125.00 Does that seem like a good deal? I may try to get it for $115.00

I also read that with the cyclone there's some part I need to drop in a brushless motor, Will I need that for the TC?

- Plans are doing speed runs, Castle 4800kv and ESC on 3s.

-What are my Spur gear option's and the Largest Pinion I can run?

I'm picking this up cause im sick on doing speed runs with my E-Firestorm stadium truck Currently can get it to go 70mph but It's my off road race truck so I hate running it on the road...

I may also Race this car indoor's in the 17.5 class Looking at picking up a novak ESC thats the only type of ESC we can run and a 17.5 Tekin or Novak. I found a combo up for bids and its at 60 for novak ESC and the Novak 17.5 brushless.
namewasdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #19628
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Hey guys i just picked up Moore WCE Cyclone and am wondering if anyone has a good starting setup for 17.5/ blinky with rubber tires on a medium sized carpet track?
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #19629
Tech Adept

Default Geardiff

Hello... Thinking of getting a Cyclone TC and im wondering if theres any Geardiff that slides in between the bulkheads with no larger modifications. Does the Spec-R diff for TCX fit the TC??..
<=Team Autopartner=>
Gillblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #19630
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillblade View Post
Hello... Thinking of getting a Cyclone TC and im wondering if theres any Geardiff that slides in between the bulkheads with no larger modifications. Does the Spec-R diff for TCX fit the TC??..
I ordered one of these Spec-R Diffs for my WCE, but I am not sure if it will fit, but according to some guys on the local track "You should only shim it!". So I am going to check it out when it arrives, and will post here.
vi4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #19631
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillblade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi4o View Post
I ordered one of these Spec-R Diffs for my WCE, but I am not sure if it will fit, but according to some guys on the local track "You should only shim it!". So I am going to check it out when it arrives, and will post here.
yes...you CAN put the TCX gear diff in the cyclones and cyclones TC..I did it and posted pics a while ago (like march of this year)..

i used a TON and i mean a ton of shims to get it to center up properly - but the one thing is does need is new bulkhead bearings with a smaller inner diameter...because you are putting so many shims on the diff, the 'thicker' molder part of the diff (where the bearing in the TCX is supposed to sit) is covered by shims ...and the actual bulkhead bearings are out over the outdrive part of the diffs - I ran my TC with it, and it felt good, but there was also a ton of drag in the car since the diffs weren't riding on bearings

I never got a chance to measure the since bearings you'd actually need - but the need to be way smaller on the inner side..I think the stock ones are 12x10 -you might need a 12x8...

Sadly, I've since sold my TC, so I can't tell you exactly how many shims I had on either side of the pulley
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #19632
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
yes...you CAN put the TCX gear diff in the cyclones and cyclones TC..I did it and posted pics a while ago (like march of this year)..

i used a TON and i mean a ton of shims to get it to center up properly - but the one thing is does need is new bulkhead bearings with a smaller inner diameter...because you are putting so many shims on the diff, the 'thicker' molder part of the diff (where the bearing in the TCX is supposed to sit) is covered by shims ...and the actual bulkhead bearings are out over the outdrive part of the diffs - I ran my TC with it, and it felt good, but there was also a ton of drag in the car since the diffs weren't riding on bearings

I never got a chance to measure the since bearings you'd actually need - but the need to be way smaller on the inner side..I think the stock ones are 12x10 -you might need a 12x8...

Sadly, I've since sold my TC, so I can't tell you exactly how many shims I had on either side of the pulley
I thought that the distance between the bulkheads in the TCX is only 3mm smaller than the TC and WCE. WoW maybe it is better to machine new bearing holders which are wider but it woud be a tough job
vi4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #19633
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Has anyone ever used these on there TC or WCE, if so how does it affect handling? What exactly do they do?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...orsion-Control
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #19634
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi4o View Post
I thought that the distance between the bulkheads in the TCX is only 3mm smaller than the TC and WCE. WoW maybe it is better to machine new bearing holders which are wider but it woud be a tough job
its actually more then that - i believe i had 20 .2 shims on each side..

the biggest thing to make it work is bearing - the bearing holders are fine, just get smaller inner diameter bearings...THAT's the ticket to make it all work
Old 10-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #19635
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hello everyone,

I now own a dead-stock (as far as I can tell) cyclone tc, and am hoping to get back into racing with it. However, I can tell I need to change some things around to get it to work with Lipo as well as a Brushless setup.

I just ordered an exotek chassis to solve the lipo problem, but under what circumstances do I need to use the BL motor mount? Some of the posts above state that the only difference is a slight change in height, so is it only required for certain gearing combinations?

Also, what parts commonly break/go wrong on the cyclone tc? I wouldn't mind trying to find some spares to have kicking around, since I know this is a bit of an aging chassis.

Lastly, any recommendations for motor/esc/batteries for the cyclone for racing 17.5 lipo? I have been away from r/c for a long long time, so my knowledge is a little antiquated when looking at today's technology. Thanks for any and all help!
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote