R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #19456
Tech Addict

Just reposting since nobody seemed to see this:

Quote:
Hi guys, I recently got myself a used HB Cyclone (as far as I know, it's just the Cyclone or is it the Cyclone TC?)
It has a 64p spur gear but Ive been told it's much more common to use a 48p gear. Does anybody know where I can get 48p gears for it? I live in Australia BTW, but I can get it from anywhere really. I do most of my RC Shopping from AMain anyway!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #19457
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
Just reposting since nobody seemed to see this:
If you order from A-main already I'd say stick with 64P. No one out here is running 48P that I know of.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #19458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Errrr noone probably replied because you get 48p pinion and spur gears pretty much from any hobby shop which sells RC equipment.

You should really be asking what size spur and pinion you need, which you should be able to calculate from gearchart.com based on what you are currently using.

It used to be an 81T was the largest 48 pitch spur you could put into a cyclone. But with brushless motors these days you are probably looking for a spur around from anywhere around 66-72T.

Common pinion ranges which racers like to get are probably from around 22-32t I think the largest pinion i ever had was a 42 or was it 44.

Australian tracks are generally outdoors asphalt and can often have little rocks or grit on them. Its very rare to see people running 64p or at least it is in sydney.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #19459
Tech Addict

Thanks for the help, I guess I may as well just continue using 64p gears.

Can I ask, when tuning the gears for the track, what am I looking for? Do I pretty much tune it to the temp of the motor so I have good acceleration, but not overdo the motor? Im new to electrics but "semi-pro" with nitro onroad
What temps would 540 and 17.5 be in the range of? Thanks guys.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #19460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

48p and 64p gears here

We have lots of customers from Oz
Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #19461
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
Thanks for the help, I guess I may as well just continue using 64p gears.

Can I ask, when tuning the gears for the track, what am I looking for? Do I pretty much tune it to the temp of the motor so I have good acceleration, but not overdo the motor? Im new to electrics but "semi-pro" with nitro onroad
What temps would 540 and 17.5 be in the range of? Thanks guys.

Here are a few pointers from the Tekin site.
* Motor temperature can be affected by adjusting motor timing and by adjusting gearing. As a rule, drivers tend to get better performance by using more Timing Advance and less gearing when using Wye wound motors like Tekin’s Redline Sensored series. The Delta wound Redline Sensorless motors don’t like a lot of Timing Advance.

* All Motors, including Tekin Motors, tend to lose strength in the magnet at high temperatures. When the magnet loses strength it shows up as a loss of speed. Monitor your motor temp with a temp gun, place a small piece of black tape on the aluminum can to improve accuracy of the readings.

* If you see more than 180 degrees F on the motor, possibly your timing is too advanced or you are overgeared. Try adjusting timing advance back slightly first.

* Until you are seeing temps of about 160 degrees F on the motor, you are not pulling much power and are possibly not running enough timing or are undergeared. Try advancing timing first.

* Another way to generate heat is through commutation loss. A high turn motor turns more RPMs than a low turn motor therefore it commutates more. This means that even with no load, a low turn motor will gerentae more heat than a high turn motor.
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #19462
Tech Master

Questions??

Could somebody tell me if possible using Sakura Zero gear diff in TC, then use 38T pulley with old Cyclone WC's belts, please?

If really necessary use shafts of other car due the different length since the outer joint of gear diff could be different length than the original TC diff's one, please?

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #19463
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy
48p and 64p gears here

We have lots of customers from Oz
Thanks heaps for that, you'll definitely be getting me placing gear orders there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xs
Here are a few pointers from the Tekin site.
* Motor temperature can be affected by adjusting motor timing and by adjusting gearing. As a rule, drivers tend to get better performance by using more Timing Advance and less gearing when using Wye wound motors like Tekinís Redline Sensored series. The Delta wound Redline Sensorless motors donít like a lot of Timing Advance.

* All Motors, including Tekin Motors, tend to lose strength in the magnet at high temperatures. When the magnet loses strength it shows up as a loss of speed. Monitor your motor temp with a temp gun, place a small piece of black tape on the aluminum can to improve accuracy of the readings.

* If you see more than 180 degrees F on the motor, possibly your timing is too advanced or you are overgeared. Try adjusting timing advance back slightly first.

* Until you are seeing temps of about 160 degrees F on the motor, you are not pulling much power and are possibly not running enough timing or are undergeared. Try advancing timing first.

* Another way to generate heat is through commutation loss. A high turn motor turns more RPMs than a low turn motor therefore it commutates more. This means that even with no load, a low turn motor will gerentae more heat than a high turn motor.
Thanks for that, thankgod I have a temp gun!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #19464
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

how do people find the kit setup for the TC?
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #19465
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Could somebody tell me if possible using Sakura Zero gear diff in TC, then use 38T pulley with old Cyclone WC's belts, please?

If really necessary use shafts of other car due the different length since the outer joint of gear diff could be different length than the original TC diff's one, please?

Best regards
Sakura Bulkheads are closer together than the TC would need a lot of work we have tried as would love to drop them in the TC but we would love to know if anyboday has found it at all possible too.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #19466
Tech Master

Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry2blost View Post
Sakura Bulkheads are closer together than the TC would need a lot of work we have tried as would love to drop them in the TC but we would love to know if anyboday has found it at all possible too.
Oh, shame, But if ust the 3racing diff is just narrower, i think if add enough shim could be usable, isn't it?
I just want know also if is possible use YOKOMO BD5 gear diff (Spec-r or YOKOMO original) could fit in TC or not, please?

Best regards

Last edited by mac853; 10-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #19467
Tech Rookie

hi guys

i'm using a spec-r tam in my cyclone tc for quit a while now and it works awesome
you need to space your bearing 2mm inside left and right
i did that whit an old shock clip from 2mm than you only need to shim the diff 2 mm +-
further parts used,
-old cyclone belts from the first cyclone
-tam drive shafts and blades
tam diff pulley

fits perfectly and runs awesome no need to do diff rebuilts

grt benny

ps does anyone perhaps korey or hiro know if there are some steel drive shafts underway from hb?

Last edited by benny v oers; 10-23-2010 at 01:38 PM.
benny v oers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #19468
Tech Master

Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny v oers View Post
hi guys

i'm using a spec-r tam in my cyclone tc for quit a while now and it works awesome
you need to space your bearing 2mm inside left and right
i did that whit an old shock clip from 2mm than you only need to shim the diff 2 mm +-
further parts used,
-old cyclone belts from the first cyclone
-tam drive shafts and blades
tam diff pulley

fits perfectly and runs awesome no need to do diff rebuilts

grt benny

ps does anyone perhaps korey or hiro know if there are some steel drive shafts underway from hb?
OK then, but i prefer using both diffs instead using spool in front, in fact i prefer use super thick diff oil in front diff.
Well, if spec-r 416 diff is also narrow for cyclone TC, with many shims, then 3racing diff could fit in 416 but not in cyclone, this is so confuse for me.
Why not put also many shims with 3racing diff as well?

And another thing, i heard Spec R will release geardiff for TCX, isn't it?
When will be then if TCX and TC's diff are compatible or not?

Best regards

Last edited by mac853; 10-24-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #19469
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
OK then, but i prefer using both diffs instead using spool in front, in fact i prefer use super thick diff oil in front diff.
Well, if spec-r 416 diff is also narrow for cyclone TC, with many shims, then 3racing diff could fit in 416 but not in cyclone, this is so confuse for me.
Why not put also many shims with 3racing diff as well?

And another thing, i heard Spec R will release geardiff for TCX, isn't it?
When will be then if TCX and TC's diff are compatible or not?

Best regards
you can easely use a diff in front then just space the bearings like in the rear!

don't know the size of sakura diff spec-r is what i'm running you could try a sakura diff

i heard about the tcxdiff don't know when it will be available

grt
Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #19470
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 318 (100%+)
Default spool / one way for cyclone

Any one know where I can get a spool or solid front axle for the cyclone? What about the one from Cyclone TC? is that the one that converts from one way to spool? thanks for the help.I will never get rid of my Cyclone.And how about stocking up on parts, almost every place is almost out of replacements for this car....why?
Team Underdog-Team UPURZ-Island Raceway & Hobby-Showing up and paying entry fee alone is not:"supporting your track" Stop fooling yourselves-buying online kills local racing programs.If we trade lower feedback always ships first.Team Associated B5m-CRC-Durango DEX210-CSO-Intech-Eagles of Death Metal-Tylenol
peter george is offline   Reply With Quote