R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #17866
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo1974 View Post
Hi,

(1) At present, there is a practice day at the new outdoor asphalt track only once every two weeks; fortunately today was a practice day. Ambient temperatures were high at 37 degs C, with a track temp of 60 degs C.

(2) I'm glad to report that the TC behaved like a new car.

I was running the following setup:
-- Hara Thailand TITC 2009 setup
......(almost; no wheel spacer on rear, -1 toe, 5.5mm ride height F+R, R(hub)=2.0_0.5)
-- ATC posts on front (actually some metal PCB mounts + shims)
-- Cut top deck
-- Solid rear (middle) deck
-- Sorex 36 A-Firm inserts on Speedmind rims

Big improvement
Cheers
Korey,

(1) I'm still interested in your opinion on when to use (and not to use) the rear (middle) deck. I remember you saying that sometimes it works and sometimes not. I'm just wondering if there is a pattern (eg: super high grip is a dud, but medium grip is usually ok, or whatever).

(2) As you can see from my previous post, the mods I made were a BIG improvement (just wished I'd tried them sooner). I now know why all the HB Team Drivers are using a cut top deck

Thanks in advance
"I'm either retired or unemployed, depending on when the money runs out !" > AERCCC_#25 > LargeOutdoorAsphaltTrack > CycloneTC + TekinRS_HWXerun_ESCs + Duo2_17.5 + SMC_Fantom_LiPos + BLS551 + MX3FG + TC1030 + MM >> =======TRACK_VIEW_FROM_SPACE========> http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-34.857766,138.560313&ll=-34.857766,138.560313&z=19&t=h&nmd=20100614
cosmo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:11 AM   #17867
Tech Rookie

Hi JR007

I've been running my Surikarn on foam outdoor asphault for ages now. I run 35 rears and 32 fronts most of the time. Most of our tracks are medium traction. I'll post a setup sheet that you can try as your starting point. So ask away and i'll try and assist you..
masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #17868
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchange View Post
hey guys... i just broke a frame on the rear.... this car is very frustrating!
Every time i touch, i broke!

3knuckle
2c-hub
1rear ingpin
1frame!!!!

Any one have the same problems like me?

This car is beautiful and work very fine but i ran aprox 15min total !!!
I feel your pain. Really, I do.

I should change my handle to 'Conan, Knuckle Destroyer'

I chew through knuckles like they're crackers. Touch a wall, *snap*. <grumble><grumble><wrench><wrench> back on the track, touch a wall, *snap*....later rinse repeat.

Morale of the story? Don't touch the walls. Easier said than done.
Dog Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #17869
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
er... anyone? Is it that stupid a question???

Thanks!

Paul
thanks for the info, guys. stiffer... mmh. I run on low-grip carpet tracks, I need the flex. Off to buy a stock deck I go.

thanks!

paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #17870
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by masher View Post
Hi JR007

I've been running my Surikarn on foam outdoor asphault for ages now. I run 35 rears and 32 fronts most of the time. Most of our tracks are medium traction. I'll post a setup sheet that you can try as your starting point. So ask away and i'll try and assist you..
Awesome, thanks for that. I can't get to the track for a lot of practice, and we have our Nationals coming up in a few months. I like the feel of foams, and want to stay with them, I just need a starter for a set-up that gets me through without chewing tyres. I'm fast-ish, but sometimes look like i'm drifting not racing!

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #17871
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
thanks for the info, guys. stiffer... mmh. I run on low-grip carpet tracks, I need the flex. Off to buy a stock deck I go.

thanks!

paul
If you already have the TC top deck, just cut it. It gets you pretty close the flex of the original top deck. Cut it lengthwise where the belt tensioner normally mounts. I don't run the belt tensioner on the TC... I haven't seen many who do.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #17872
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc pete View Post
If you already have the TC top deck, just cut it. It gets you pretty close the flex of the original top deck. Cut it lengthwise where the belt tensioner normally mounts. I don't run the belt tensioner on the TC... I haven't seen many who do.
nope haven't purchased it yet... thanks for the tip

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #17873
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc pete View Post
See cut top and rear deck photos at link below (supplied by Phil Chambers).

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Cheers
"I'm either retired or unemployed, depending on when the money runs out !" > AERCCC_#25 > LargeOutdoorAsphaltTrack > CycloneTC + TekinRS_HWXerun_ESCs + Duo2_17.5 + SMC_Fantom_LiPos + BLS551 + MX3FG + TC1030 + MM >> =======TRACK_VIEW_FROM_SPACE========> http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-34.857766,138.560313&ll=-34.857766,138.560313&z=19&t=h&nmd=20100614
cosmo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #17874
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone tried swapping the belts over on the Cyclone TC from one side to the other. It looks like it shouldn't be a problem.
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #17875
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Has anyone tried swapping the belts over on the Cyclone TC from one side to the other. It looks like it shouldn't be a problem.
Yes Phil C along with a few other of the guys in the Uk team have done it. They swap over fine u dont have to mod anything. I'm yet to try it.

Jonny
Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #17876
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny123 View Post
Yes Phil C along with a few other of the guys in the Uk team have done it. They swap over fine u dont have to mod anything. I'm yet to try it.

Jonny
Jonny, looking at the big cutouts under the diff it looks easy enough, however I've got the old cyclone chassis so it's either some dremelling or buying the TC main chassis to get it all to work.

Thanks mate.
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #17877
Tech Apprentice

JL, yes there would be quite abit of dremelling on the moorespeed/standard chassis. The Tc chassis is 2.5mm compared with the standard 2mm on the previous cars. I prefer the feel of the car both indoors and outdoors with the 2.5mm chassis. So maybe getting the TC chassis is the way to go.

Jonny
Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #17878
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Are there any other steering knuckles that can be modded to fit? I am just getting into carpet racing after 11 years of off-road, I have been borrowing a cyclone from Kendall Bennett, owner of amainhobbies. I have not driven any other cars, but I have tweaked the cyclone to a point where I really like it and would like to stay with the cyclone, I just want to make her more durable. I broke nothing on the first outing, but yesterday I broke 3 knuckles, a c-hub, and a cv bone. I am going to buy more knuckles when they come back in stock and build up a web of shoo-goo in the area that they always break, is anyone else doing this? Any other ideas? Thanks
BIG RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #17879
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny123 View Post
The Tc chassis is 2.5mm compared with the standard 2mm on the previous cars.

I have been running the Cyclone's since they came out and I don't remember any of them having a 2mm chassis.

And I just measured a few older chassis I have and they all measure 2.5mm.
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #17880
Tech Champion

The older style of chassis plates were still 2.5mm. They have smaller cell slot, and diff cut outs. They also have a slightly different material of carbon fiber as well.

The TC chassis plate is a little softer up front, but stiffer through the middle and rear of the chassis. The older style chassis plates are stiffer up front, but a little softer in the middle and rear.

Lately I've been running an older style chassis (fits my weight plate better ), but they require a different top deck setup. I run the TC topdeck cut where the belt tensioner is, or the older style upper deck. With the TC chassis, I run the TC top deck uncut. Each of those combos are similar in feel. I usually always run an FRP mid plate that is uncut. I find the car works in a wider range of conditions this way.

-Korey