Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #17642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Gidday Guys

Got a friend just bought a LRP X12 3.5 matched up to a LRP Sphere TC spec , he is running it in a cyclone S chassis , he is wanting to know what would be a good starting point with gearing ......

Thank you
Cheers Paul.....
Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #17643
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Pics of the HB Subaru Body and J concepts b4 body I had painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-img_0371sm.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #17644
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Korey,
What surface do you run?
I am thinking of getting the Subaru for carpet.
Paint work is Killer!
Dave
dragracer72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #17645
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer72nova View Post
Korey,
What surface do you run?
I am thinking of getting the Subaru for carpet.
Paint work is Killer!
Dave
The Subaru is great on just about any surface. It's a very nice neutral body. It doesn't have that super aggressive feel like the LTC, but when the grip is decent it really shines because it allows the car to carry very good corner speed.

I just kind of have a soft spot for Subarus too... plus the hole dimples line up with the cyclone!!!! Easy mounting for sure.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #17646
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info on cutting the decks a few pages back. wondering if it's worth cutting the Hara's deck too to help more flex. The FRP rear deck I cut a while ago already

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #17647
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
The Subaru is great on just about any surface. It's a very nice neutral body. It doesn't have that super aggressive feel like the LTC, but when the grip is decent it really shines because it allows the car to carry very good corner speed.

I just kind of have a soft spot for Subarus too... plus the hole dimples line up with the cyclone!!!! Easy mounting for sure.
+1
Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #17648
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Positive Camber Angle

So I just built a cyclone TC and I got a few setup sheets online, but most of the setup sheets have a positive camber somewhere between 1 and 2 degrees. Would this not mean that the top of the wheel leans to the outside of the car? I thought negative camber angles were more popular, but after looking at all the setup sheets..I guess a positive camber angle is more popular on the cyclone.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #17649
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
So I just built a cyclone TC and I got a few setup sheets online, but most of the setup sheets have a positive camber somewhere between 1 and 2 degrees. Would this not mean that the top of the wheel leans to the outside of the car? I thought negative camber angles were more popular, but after looking at all the setup sheets..I guess a positive camber angle is more popular on the cyclone.
Just assume it's negative camber. Never run positive camber in a touring car application. Most people just assume its negative even if it isn't noted. The only time I'd ever see positive camber being used is the left tires on an oval car.

-Korey
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #17650
Tech Regular

Quote:
Just assume it's negative camber. Never run positive camber in a touring car application. Most people just assume its negative even if it isn't noted. The only time I'd ever see positive camber being used is the left tires on an oval car.

-Korey
Ok, that makes WAY more sense. I was just seeing all these positive numbers, which I thought was really odd, so I thought I would ask. Glad I did! Thanks Korey
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #17651
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm looking for another Cyclone TC for a local driver. If anyone has or knows about one please PM me.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #17652
Tech Rookie

Jeez this thread is long as a nightmare.

If anyone wants to help out a nitro veteran thats a new age electric noob, I am looking into getting one of these "the s" and am not sure on what brushless motor "like the novak havoc" or batteries or whatnot to run in the car.

Im usually a smooth pavement racer and if anyone could help out a nitro guy wanting to become an electric guy by shooting me a pm with a setup or something that would be AWESOME!!!
Mista Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #17653
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Mustard View Post
Jeez this thread is long as a nightmare.

If anyone wants to help out a nitro veteran thats a new age electric noob, I am looking into getting one of these "the s" and am not sure on what brushless motor "like the novak havoc" or batteries or whatnot to run in the car.

Im usually a smooth pavement racer and if anyone could help out a nitro guy wanting to become an electric guy by shooting me a pm with a setup or something that would be AWESOME!!!

It depends on what class you wana do really, but in my case its a GM120 in standard mode 8, along with a Trinity duo 13.5 motor, and a Demon 5000 40c lipo, a very quick combo.
Cheers Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #17654
Tech Champion

Like he said, it varies greatly on what class you want to run. There are ESC's specifically geared towards spec racing with extremely aggressive timing profiles that wouldn't work in modified racing. Other ESC's are geared towards modified racing, and then some work in both with some extra tuning equipment.

Motor depends on the track usually. I would scope out what people are running at your local track so you can get on track support on how to gear and setup the motors and ESC. Sometimes it's easier than coming on the internet and getting a multitude of different opinions and answers.

I personally like Team Orca (more info for you guys a little later) and LRP ESC's. LRP Offers the SPX for spec racing, and the SXX for modified. Orca will be offering ESC's that have tuning capabilities for both types of racing.

-Korey
Old 10-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #17655
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well, looks like everyone covered what needed to be covered lol. See what happens when I actually go racing? Speaking of, I have a pretty decent parking lot/low-medium asphalt setup now (90 deg air temp).

Front:

Spring: HPI Pro 4 Pink
Oil: Losi 70wt, zero rebound, no foam
Piston: 2 hole 1.2mm (the stock one)
Shock Position: 2 on arm, 3 on tower
Camber Link Position: long, 2mm under inner pivot
Camber: 2 deg
Caster: 4 deg
Toe block: 2.5 deg (try a 2.... it'll give a little bit crisper turn in)
Shims under suspension and toe blocks: 1.0mm
Droop: 5.5mm off of a gauge
Toe: 0
Wheelbase: .7mm behind arm, 2mm in front
Ackerman: 3mm on center bell crank
Front drive: spool
Swaybar: silver (1.4mm with 2mm gap in the links)

Rear:

Spring: HPI pro 4 blue
Oil: Losi 70wt, zero rebound, no foam
Piston: 1.2mm 2 hole
Shock position: 4 on tower, 3 on arm
Camber link position: long on bulkhead (1mm under pivot) and short on rear hub (0mm under it).
Toe block: 3 deg
Rear Hub: 0 deg (stock)
Swaybar: copper (1.2mm) with 3mm gap in link
Shims under toe and suspension blocks: 1.5mm
wheelbase: 2mm in front of arm, .7 behind it, 2mm in front of hub, .7mm behind it.

Body: LW Mazdaspeed 6
Wing: HB, mounted back to legal limit

Tires: Sorex 36, black hara v2 insert, schumacher rev lite rims.
Traction compound: Clean with buggy grip, let tire tweak sit as long as possible.

-Korey
So I'm giving the above setup a try, but I was curious as to how to build the shocks to have zero rebound. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks