R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2005, 08:06 AM   #1696
Tech Champion
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill
...
Unless you already have the BD titanium screw kit there's no point in buying it for the Cyclone as manufacturers already have a kit for the Cyclone available I would imagine. I know for sure that Titanium Racing do.
Jwerks will be releasing a 64grade Ti screw kit very soon.
I had them on my Pro4 and not a single problem with the heads stripping or bending.
__________________
HB WCE HARA EDITION CYCLONE: LRP Sphere TC, KO 2363 digital servo.
HB HARA EDITION PRO4: Gone to a new home..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #1697
Tech Master
 
John Doucakis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,108
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Brand New HB CYCLONE
Next week I will have TIR spool up front in both US SPEC and PRO SPEC versions.

Can someone confirm wether the TAMIYA 42 mm steel dogbones fit on the Cyclone.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-cyclone-wp-4b.jpg   Hot Bodies Cyclone-cyclone-wp-5b.jpg  
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:37 AM   #1698
Tech Addict
 
Skill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Doncaster, England
Posts: 537
Default

Looking good there, where did you get that motor from??

Raced last night with the Cyclone, all night the car was really really responsive, I tried a few things like stiffening the front springs, harder tyres on the front etc. and it was still a bit too responsive. What effect will reducing the arm sweep on the front have? Is there anything else I can do to calm the car down a bit?
Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:45 AM   #1699
Tech Master
 
nordheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,725
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill
Looking good there, where did you get that motor from??

Raced last night with the Cyclone, all night the car was really really responsive, I tried a few things like stiffening the front springs, harder tyres on the front etc. and it was still a bit too responsive. What effect will reducing the arm sweep on the front have? Is there anything else I can do to calm the car down a bit?
Are you using sway bars? If so, which ones?
__________________
SEATTLEINDOORRACEWAY.COM - VALLEYVIEWRC.COM
nordheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #1700
Tech Addict
 
Skill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Doncaster, England
Posts: 537
Default

I'm using the silver one on the front, none on the rear.

37 shore foams on the front, 32 shore on the rear. HPI 25mm linear Red springs on the front, HPI 25mm linear Orange springs on the rear.

Front shocks on inside hole on wishbone, next to outside hole on tower.
Rear shocks middle on wishbone, inside hole on tower.
Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:16 AM   #1701
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: HKG
Posts: 638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doucakis
Brand New HB CYCLONE
Next week I will have TIR spool up front in both US SPEC and PRO SPEC versions.

Can someone confirm wether the TAMIYA 42 mm steel dogbones fit on the Cyclone.
yes but need change Tamiya for TB evo 1 option oneway cup bester !
HKRCMODEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:19 AM   #1702
Tech Adept
 
Phil C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuneaton, England
Posts: 177
Default

Hey Skill,It seems to me that you have your front shocks way more stood up than your rear, this would make the steering very responsive and perhaps twitchy.
Try laying them down by moving the shocks to the outer hole on the wishbone and see what you think.
Try having your shocks at a similar angle front and rear and the car should feel more balanced and consistant.
Hope this helps Phil.
__________________
| Team XRAY UK | HUDY | RC DisCo| LRP | Sanwa | SMD | Moorespeed | MB Models | Gingapaint | McLaren Racing |

Last edited by Phil C; 10-29-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #1703
Tech Fanatic
 
S-T-R-l-K-E-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CS RACING / RIDDLER HOBBIES
Posts: 973
Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R
Default

try using stiffer front swaybars and softer rears

or try using thicker shock oil.

remember if you problem is upfront tune upfront. if your problem is in the rear tune the rear.
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #1704
Tech Master
 
John Doucakis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,108
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKRCMODEL
yes but need change Tamiya for TB evo 1 option oneway cup bester !
Thanks for the advice. Might try it if the HB steel dogbones take to long to become available.

I wonder how many things you guy's tried on the Cyclone. How did you come up with the TB EVO1 oneway outdrives?

Just to make sure, is this the combination you suggest?

TAMIYA 53501 FRONT SWING SHAFT


TAMIYA 53590 CUP JOINT FOR TB 01 REINFORCED FRONT ONE WAY UNIT
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #1705
Tech Adept
 
JonboyGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 118
Default

Took the Cyclone out for its first meeting today. Had real trouble with the set-up.

Started with the car exactly as the kit setup but everytime I accelarated the car would spin. The only way to keep the car steady waas accelarate veeery slowly.

Changed the one-way in the front to a spool and changed the one-way centre to a locked version and this seemed to sort this problem out. But then noticed that I had massive oversteer when accelarating out of tight corners. I changed springs, shock positions but nothing seemed to help?

2 points I think the problem could be:

1. I didnít run with any roll-bars. Iíve never used them so didnít think about installing them - should I have?

2. When changing the one-way centre for a locked centre I got a bit confused as to which end to put it on the lay shaft. I know what the manual states but I also know what the recent amendment states. I currently have the locked centre on the motor side - should this be on the other side ie connected to the rear/small belt?

With the centre pulley potentially on the wrong side, would this affect the way the car accelarates?


Iím no expert when it comes to setting up cars (only been racing for 2 years), any help you guys might have would be very appreciated.
__________________
www.zen-racing.co.uk
JonboyGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #1706
Tech Addict
 
Skill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Doncaster, England
Posts: 537
Default

I'm not too sure on what you have actually done here. If you have bought an extra locked centre pulley, and used the layshaft with the 3 flats on it then it doesn't matter which way around you put the pullies, as both are the same.

If you have just swapped the centre pullies around, then you would have had no drive to the rear at all. You should always have a locked pulley on the rear.
Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #1707
Tech Champion
 
SpeedTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 6,028
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonboyGB
Took the Cyclone out for its first meeting today. Had real trouble with the set-up.

Started with the car exactly as the kit setup but everytime I accelarated the car would spin. The only way to keep the car steady waas accelarate veeery slowly.

Changed the one-way in the front to a spool and changed the one-way centre to a locked version and this seemed to sort this problem out. But then noticed that I had massive oversteer when accelarating out of tight corners. I changed springs, shock positions but nothing seemed to help?

2 points I think the problem could be:

1. I didnít run with any roll-bars. Iíve never used them so didnít think about installing them - should I have?

2. When changing the one-way centre for a locked centre I got a bit confused as to which end to put it on the lay shaft. I know what the manual states but I also know what the recent amendment states. I currently have the locked centre on the motor side - should this be on the other side ie connected to the rear/small belt?

With the centre pulley potentially on the wrong side, would this affect the way the car accelarates?


Iím no expert when it comes to setting up cars (only been racing for 2 years), any help you guys might have would be very appreciated.
JonboyGB,

It is very unlikely that a car would completely spin out at the punch of the throttle (unless the track is extremely dusty) and even on a dusty track the car should be spinning tires but still going foward. Before making any more setup changes, I would just take a look and make sure nothing has come loose and everything is assembled correctly. You might have something that is locking up on one corner of the car, causing this handling issue. Check the universals (make sure the joint pin didn't come loose), check axle pins, check rear diff settings, check all the shock lengths and droop settings to make sure they are equal, and look at the car's bottom deck at eye level, see if the chassis is twisted in anyway. Good luck and hope you find your problem

Steve Wang
__________________
>>>www.SpeedtechHobbies.com<<<
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #1708
Tech Addict
 
Skill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Doncaster, England
Posts: 537
Default

Just a quick question, how do I increase the Ackerman effect on the Cyclone? Do I add more spacers or take spacers out of the servo saver?
Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #1709
Tech Adept
 
JonboyGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 118
Default

thanks Skill and Steve,

Steve, Good point about checking the car over. Come to think of it, I was hit by another car, although it didnít seem like a bit hit. Not sure if the problems started as a result of this, but I will strip the car down and see whats what.

On a seperate note. Can someone tell me what the effects of the following combos:

1. one-way centre with one-way front
2. one-way centre with spool front
3. one-way centre with diff
4. locked centre with one-way front
5. locked centre with spool front
6. locked centre with diff

I understand what the three options in the front do in a shaft car, but the centre pulley is a new one on me.

Cheers for input chaps
__________________
www.zen-racing.co.uk
JonboyGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #1710
Tech Fanatic
 
S-T-R-l-K-E-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CS RACING / RIDDLER HOBBIES
Posts: 973
Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonboyGB
thanks Skill and Steve,

Steve, Good point about checking the car over. Come to think of it, I was hit by another car, although it didnít seem like a bit hit. Not sure if the problems started as a result of this, but I will strip the car down and see whats what.

On a seperate note. Can someone tell me what the effects of the following combos:

1. one-way centre with one-way front
2. one-way centre with spool front
3. one-way centre with diff
4. locked centre with one-way front
5. locked centre with spool front
6. locked centre with diff

I understand what the three options in the front do in a shaft car, but the centre pulley is a new one on me.

Cheers for input chaps
IMO all this has the same effect on power the difference is when you go off throttle. 1,2,3,4 will have more turn-in than 5&6.
number 4 should have most turn-in off power
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Bodies Cyclone S wardyl Electric On-Road 4 10-01-2008 07:01 AM
Hot bodies Cyclone 12 k7king R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 09-04-2008 07:09 AM
WTB Hot Bodies Cyclone/ cyclone Parts tenpins77 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 07-29-2008 07:48 AM
Hot Bodies Cyclone sdt1 Australia For Sale/Trade 6 07-13-2008 02:05 AM
WTB: Cyclone S/Cyclone Painted bodies vazzo Australia Wanted to Buy 0 02-05-2008 05:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net