Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ali_g
Hi Korey,

Do u have a general setup for carpet track using rubbers tyres
How would you say the grip is? I've tried Andy Moore's IIC rubber setup thats a better decent starting point in modified, or if the grip is lower for spec racing. In spec racing you'll need to free up the car more. Sean Williams has a pretty decent setup that is good for higher bite carpet with spec motors from what I understand. Here's a link to each setup.

Andy's
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/pdfs/...IIC_rubber.pdf

Sean's
http://www.gearchart.com/setup/setup...0SET%20UP3.pdf

-Korey
Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

HPI Shock Spring set back in stock !
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
How would you say the grip is? I've tried Andy Moore's IIC rubber setup thats a better decent starting point in modified, or if the grip is lower for spec racing. In spec racing you'll need to free up the car more. Sean Williams has a pretty decent setup that is good for higher bite carpet with spec motors from what I understand. Here's a link to each setup.

Andy's

Sean's

-Korey
I have no question about the Andy's setup, but is the other one actually Sean's or Clint's?? lol
Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow
I have no question about the Andy's setup, but is the other one actually Sean's or Clint's?? lol
It's actually Seans, but Clint just uploaded it to Gearchart.com. He can confirm that as well. They were working really hard last year to get the car fast on rubber carpet in spec classes. Our car just develops so much natural grip, it can be a little slow in the corners compared to others in certain conditions. This setup is meant to free the car up, and make it highly reactive.

-Korey
Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Oh, I almost forgot. The HB Subaru Type B bodies are in stock and available right now on HB's website.

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/61738.html

-Korey
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Every setup I see for rubber tires on carpet is using front and rear swaybars. Is that pretty much a requirement to be fast around the turns? Would VTA be any different in that requirement? I've been running my VTA Cyclone without swaybars and am wondering if I'm leaving some performance on the table because of it.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hey guys, since RCTech's search engine is pretty much messed up, I really need your help.

Can someone point out or give me a good basic setup as a starting point for the Cyclone on a low traction, somewhat bumpy track. I'll be running 19T and sometimes 27T. We run rubber tires and the track is fairly small.

There will be alot of chicanes and 180 turns, so I need my car to react to quick changes of direction.

Really, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Hey guys, since RCTech's search engine is pretty much messed up, I really need your help.

Can someone point out or give me a good basic setup as a starting point for the Cyclone on a low traction, somewhat bumpy track. I'll be running 19T and sometimes 27T. We run rubber tires and the track is fairly small.

There will be alot of chicanes and 180 turns, so I need my car to react to quick changes of direction.

Really, any help would be appreciated.
Hara's Reedy Race 2008 setup is pretty solid. The only chance I would do since it's a tight twisty track is run thin hex's all around. He only runs them in the rear to give the back end a little more grip. Other than that... it's a great starting point.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Hiro, Korey, I'm currently tried the TC front shocks tower w/ WCE shocks tower mount and I can't tell the difference yet. Can you explain a little bit more about that?

Thanks.

Last edited by EJ20; 07-30-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EJ20
Hi Hiro, Korey, I'm currently tried the TC front shocks tower w/ WCE shocks tower mount and I can't tell the difference yet. Can you explain a little bit more about that?

Thanks.
I haven't tried it yet actually. It's probably a very small change if any really.

-Korey
Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Korey, I'm currently used the set up from Hara's TITC 2009 at Speedworld w/ spec tire (Top's hard compound) and the lay out still exactly same as Reedy, but have few changes on the set up: 40wt front and 35wt rear, no foam w/about 70% rebound on both and I'm using TC shocks tower with WCE shocks tower mount. (front and rear). I feel the car got little off power push. Do you think I should try lower the roll center up front from 1.5mm to 1mm? (both FF & FR toe block) Or the problem is the front shocks tower? I did try to raise up the ride height to 5, 5.5 and the droop is 5.5, 5 and it does help little but still got little push.

Thanks.
I'm not Korey, but let me suggest a few things because i have tried the same setup at the reedy and had the same problem. LoL

I would definitely go to the #2 shock position on the front arm instead of #1 then go up the front spring to pink.
If you have to use the WCE bulkheads and TC shock tower combo, i would reduce the rebound as this combo has more pack when the shock is compressed. Other wise i suggest to use TC bulkheads w/TC shock tower, or WCE bulkheads w/WCE shock tower.

I'm sure Korey will give you better solution but i hope this helps too.

-Hiro
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you Hiro, that's what I thought. So since on that combo I has now, the piston will be at higher position (2mm?), will it slower the Left & Right transition also?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke

Andy's

Sean's

-Korey
U guys prefer to use Tamiya springs then HPI springs?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you Hiro, that's what I thought. So since on that combo I has now, the piston will be at higher position (2mm?), will it slower the Left & Right transition also?

Thanks.
I don't think it sowers the transition but it generates a bit more pack (more damping). So it should feel like you have a lot of rebound. It makes the car very responsive and stable on the high speed corner, but when your is pushing at coming in to the corner (off throttle), i would not use this combo.

But once again, try #2 shock mounting hole on the a-arm first with pink springs. I'm almost sure you will have better turn in.

Thanks,
-Hiro
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ali_g
U guys prefer to use Tamiya springs then HPI springs?
Weeelllll.... I've actually never tried this setup with tamiya springs. I think tamiya springs might be a little more progressive (not 100% sure on that) because I know HPI springs are super linear. I actually substituted HPI silver front, and HPI blue rear on this setup, and it was a pretty good starting point. Very smooth and easy to drive.

I might do some testing on tamiya springs vs hpi here soon. We'll see if I can get my hands on some. I've run tamiya yellows on a parking lot track a few times with success, but the only reason I ran those is they are softer than our HPI blue spring.

-Korey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.