R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #17056
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz View Post
im using 3 deg toe blocks at the rear with -2 camber and up front 2.5 deg -1 camber and 0deg in the steering. 2mm shims all around. shock pos up front 3 and 4 at the back. ride height is at 5 and 4 droop front and rear. spool for the front. tires are sorex 36 with med hara insert,.

thanks.
I would take some droop out first maybe... That will help control weight transfer a bit. If you are measuring with a droop gauge, about 5mm rear and 5.5 mm front is usually pretty good. Also maybe try a little bit of arm sweep ip front (larger toe block). It usually smooths out steering initially for me, but digs in a lot more around the apex. Also could try messing with ackerman. Running 2-3 mm instead of 4 on the steering will help smooth steering inputs a bit too.

-Korey
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #17057
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
I would take some droop out first maybe... That will help control weight transfer a bit. If you are measuring with a droop gauge, about 5mm rear and 5.5 mm front is usually pretty good. Also maybe try a little bit of arm sweep ip front (larger toe block). It usually smooths out steering initially for me, but digs in a lot more around the apex. Also could try messing with ackerman. Running 2-3 mm instead of 4 on the steering will help smooth steering inputs a bit too.

-Korey
im using 2mm for ackerman, how about the shocks. will thicker oil help? im using 3 hole pistons all around
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #17058
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I've been starting with Losi 50wt for the most part now, then working from there.
-Korey
I have a set of Team Associated Shock oils.
I have been told that there is no standard for shock oil (from one manufacturer to another).

Do you happen to know how the Losi 50wt maps onto the Team Associated shock oil?

Thanks
"I'm either retired or unemployed, depending on when the money runs out !" > AERCCC_#25 > LargeOutdoorAsphaltTrack > CycloneTC + TekinRS_HWXerun_ESCs + Duo2_17.5 + SMC_Fantom_LiPos + BLS551 + MX3FG + TC1030 + MM >> =======TRACK_VIEW_FROM_SPACE========> http://www.nearmap.com/[email protected],138.560313&ll=-34.857766,138.560313&z=19&t=h&nmd=20100614
cosmo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #17059
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz View Post
im using 2mm for ackerman, how about the shocks. will thicker oil help? im using 3 hole pistons all around
I would do droop first (quicker adjustment to make ) and then try thicker shock oil.

-Korey
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #17060
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo1974 View Post
I have a set of Team Associated Shock oils.
I have been told that there is no standard for shock oil (from one manufacturer to another).

Do you happen to know how the Losi 50wt maps onto the Team Associated shock oil?

Thanks
Losi oil is generally a little thicker. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as it's usually 2.5-5wt thicker from what I understand. As long as you use an oil brand which is a popular, mainstream brand... then you should be ok. AE 50-60wt should be a decent starting point as well.

-Korey
Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 AM   #17061
Tech Addict

Quote:
I would do droop first (quicker adjustment to make ) and then try thicker shock oil.

-Korey
thanks korey.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #17062
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi Korey,

Do u have a general setup for carpet track using rubbers tyres
ali_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #17063
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_g View Post
Hi Korey,

Do u have a general setup for carpet track using rubbers tyres
How would you say the grip is? I've tried Andy Moore's IIC rubber setup thats a better decent starting point in modified, or if the grip is lower for spec racing. In spec racing you'll need to free up the car more. Sean Williams has a pretty decent setup that is good for higher bite carpet with spec motors from what I understand. Here's a link to each setup.

Andy's
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/pdfs/...IIC_rubber.pdf

Sean's
http://www.gearchart.com/setup/setup...0SET%20UP3.pdf

-Korey
Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #17064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

HPI Shock Spring set back in stock !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #17065
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
How would you say the grip is? I've tried Andy Moore's IIC rubber setup thats a better decent starting point in modified, or if the grip is lower for spec racing. In spec racing you'll need to free up the car more. Sean Williams has a pretty decent setup that is good for higher bite carpet with spec motors from what I understand. Here's a link to each setup.

Andy's
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/pdfs/...IIC_rubber.pdf

Sean's
http://www.gearchart.com/setup/setup...0SET%20UP3.pdf

-Korey
I have no question about the Andy's setup, but is the other one actually Sean's or Clint's?? lol
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #17066
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
I have no question about the Andy's setup, but is the other one actually Sean's or Clint's?? lol
It's actually Seans, but Clint just uploaded it to Gearchart.com. He can confirm that as well. They were working really hard last year to get the car fast on rubber carpet in spec classes. Our car just develops so much natural grip, it can be a little slow in the corners compared to others in certain conditions. This setup is meant to free the car up, and make it highly reactive.

-Korey
Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #17067
Tech Champion

Oh, I almost forgot. The HB Subaru Type B bodies are in stock and available right now on HB's website.

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/61738.html

-Korey
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #17068
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Every setup I see for rubber tires on carpet is using front and rear swaybars. Is that pretty much a requirement to be fast around the turns? Would VTA be any different in that requirement? I've been running my VTA Cyclone without swaybars and am wondering if I'm leaving some performance on the table because of it.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #17069
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Hey guys, since RCTech's search engine is pretty much messed up, I really need your help.

Can someone point out or give me a good basic setup as a starting point for the Cyclone on a low traction, somewhat bumpy track. I'll be running 19T and sometimes 27T. We run rubber tires and the track is fairly small.

There will be alot of chicanes and 180 turns, so I need my car to react to quick changes of direction.

Really, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #17070
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Hey guys, since RCTech's search engine is pretty much messed up, I really need your help.

Can someone point out or give me a good basic setup as a starting point for the Cyclone on a low traction, somewhat bumpy track. I'll be running 19T and sometimes 27T. We run rubber tires and the track is fairly small.

There will be alot of chicanes and 180 turns, so I need my car to react to quick changes of direction.

Really, any help would be appreciated.
Hara's Reedy Race 2008 setup is pretty solid. The only chance I would do since it's a tight twisty track is run thin hex's all around. He only runs them in the rear to give the back end a little more grip. Other than that... it's a great starting point.