R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #16981
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Awesome. Got it saved. Thanks man
I prefer the HPI springs, as they feel more predictable. And they are cheaper than the Hara ones
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #16982
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Thats good to hear! It's a pretty solid base setup that works in a variety of conditions.

-Korey
Agree - I was not very happy with the kit's standard setup (at least on my track).

Deltas from Hara's setup were basically:
-- more rear roll (lower rear shock arm position adjustment)
-- more damping in front shocks (oil adjustment)
-- more progressive effect (relatively) on rear swaybar (gap adjustment)
-- more weight over rear (shifting rear arms)
-- bit lower rear RC (top shims adjustment) **only change made at track**

Cheers
"I'm either retired or unemployed, depending on when the money runs out !" > AERCCC_#25 > LargeOutdoorAsphaltTrack > CycloneTC + TekinRS_HWXerun_ESCs + Duo2_17.5 + SMC_Fantom_LiPos + BLS551 + MX3FG + TC1030 + MM >> =======TRACK_VIEW_FROM_SPACE========> http://www.nearmap.com/[email protected],138.560313&ll=-34.857766,138.560313&z=19&t=h&nmd=20100614
cosmo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #16983
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello i just got a moore speed cyclone what is a good set up for parking lot ?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #16984
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation

The Cyclone TC kit setup uses a 1.2mm shock piston diameter.
Hara and Korey use a 1.1mm shock piston diameter.

What's the deal here (volume change) ?

Thanks
"I'm either retired or unemployed, depending on when the money runs out !" > AERCCC_#25 > LargeOutdoorAsphaltTrack > CycloneTC + TekinRS_HWXerun_ESCs + Duo2_17.5 + SMC_Fantom_LiPos + BLS551 + MX3FG + TC1030 + MM >> =======TRACK_VIEW_FROM_SPACE========> http://www.nearmap.com/[email protected],138.560313&ll=-34.857766,138.560313&z=19&t=h&nmd=20100614
cosmo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #16985
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo1974 View Post
The Cyclone TC kit setup uses a 1.2mm shock piston diameter.
Hara and Korey use a 1.1mm shock piston diameter.

What's the deal here (volume change) ?

Thanks
Quote:
I did a while back, but I can't seem to find my notes anywhere. From what I remember, the 2 hole pistons felt a little stiffer, but they seemed more consistent through the whole stroke of the shock. They didn't seem to pack up as much. The 3 hole pistons had a softer feeling, but they packed up quicker. So they would feel soft, then feel stiffer if compressed quickly. The 2 hole pistons just felt the same all the way around.

I know Hiro has been doing some testing with the 2 hole pistons again, and he seems to like them. I run them when the grip is very high, because it seems to make the car more consistent. The 3 hole pistons tend to make the car very reactive initially, but they can make the car feel odd when the grip is very very high unless used in combination with very thick oil.

This is just what I have found though. Id say it's worth a try for yourself as well. It really depends on how much static grip the track has. That can influence the results drastically.

-Korey
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #16986
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Default Brushless Motor Mount

Hey Guys

I'm looking at upgrading my WCE motor mount to the brushless one so I can run hardcore mod Just wanted to find out if there is anything tricky involved ie shimming etc I'm also lookin to upgrade to the lipo conversion upper deck at the same time.

Hey Billythekid if you're worried about lipos coming out of your car get yourself a Cyclone S as there is no way in hell they can come out.

RC Market dude when will you have the lipo conversion kit in stock for the Cyclone? You now how much I love shopping with you
Old 07-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #16987
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
if you come across any xenon spurs, those are the same as the stock spur HB re-sells those have the 90*spacing you are talking about..

I've also use PRS spurs and they work fine...they are only made for 2 screws though - http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/browse
Thanks, I tracked down Xenon spurs to a UK supplier.
At the same time, my local HPI agent got their latest shipment of spurs and pinions.
I've now cleaned them out of every spur and pinion that I need!
bydand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #16988
Tech Adept

Yesterday I installed in my car the Li-Po Battery Upper Deck Conversion and looks and works perfect on the car. Let see how it runs now.
Juan C Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #16989
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
I think the cut middle deck also works great on "Super" high bite to free up the rear. May be we should have tried?

Would you suggest that this be tried with rubber on carpet ? I've been running the car all summer on mid to high grip carpet ( Jaco blues, Jack, 13.5, spool ). What's happening to me is that the car has no corner speed. It basically stops mid corner. I just switched to the lipo top deck and the overall chassis seems to have too much flex. I thought that the chassis was giving up in the corners and that's why it was stopping mid corner.
If I cut the middle deck wouldn't that make the problem worse ?

I realize that you guys run mostly on asphault but maybe you may have a thought.

Thanks.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #16990
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Would you suggest that this be tried with rubber on carpet ? I've been running the car all summer on mid to high grip carpet ( Jaco blues, Jack, 13.5, spool ). What's happening to me is that the car has no corner speed. It basically stops mid corner. I just switched to the lipo top deck and the overall chassis seems to have too much flex. I thought that the chassis was giving up in the corners and that's why it was stopping mid corner.
If I cut the middle deck wouldn't that make the problem worse ?

I realize that you guys run mostly on asphault but maybe you may have a thought.

Thanks.
I would leave it uncut... and run ATC posts up front if you have them (using 2mm shims instead of the orings). If you are running the chassis that came in the TC kit, it tends to flex a little too much in the front just under the diff, and just about right in the rear. You might even want to try a normal graphite rear plate as well if you can find them.

I would also suggest raising the roll center by adding shims under the suspension and toe blocks. If grip is good enough, you might be able to run as much as 2-3 mm under the suspension blocks. Just be careful though, I've noticed if you're not careful and raise the roll center too much on carpet, it can traction roll really easy when the grip gets high. I think it just makes the car transfer weight too fast side to side and makes the car grab really weird. You'll have to play with it to find a happy medium.

-Korey
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #16991
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Hey Guys

I'm looking at upgrading my WCE motor mount to the brushless one so I can run hardcore mod Just wanted to find out if there is anything tricky involved ie shimming etc I'm also lookin to upgrade to the lipo conversion upper deck at the same time.

Hey Billythekid if you're worried about lipos coming out of your car get yourself a Cyclone S as there is no way in hell they can come out.

RC Market dude when will you have the lipo conversion kit in stock for the Cyclone? You now how much I love shopping with you
Nope just drop it in! It's an easy direct install, just like the lipo upper deck conversion. The lipo conversion has a spacer that goes under the bulkhead to match the layshaft height up with the brushless motor mount.

-Korey
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #16992
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Hey Guys

LiPo Conv. kit
Around 1-2 week !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #16993
Tech Master

Quote:
I would leave it uncut... and run ATC posts up front if you have them (using 2mm shims instead of the orings). If you are running the chassis that came in the TC kit, it tends to flex a little too much in the front just under the diff, and just about right in the rear. You might even want to try a normal graphite rear plate as well if you can find them.

I would also suggest raising the roll center by adding shims under the suspension and toe blocks. If grip is good enough, you might be able to run as much as 2-3 mm under the suspension blocks. Just be careful though, I've noticed if you're not careful and raise the roll center too much on carpet, it can traction roll really easy when the grip gets high. I think it just makes the car transfer weight too fast side to side and makes the car grab really weird. You'll have to play with it to find a happy medium.

-Korey

Thanks Korey, that's the one thing I haven't tried yet ( raising the roll centers ).
I put the posts in and found an old graphite rear deck so lets hope the higher roll centers do the trick.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #16994
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

lipo conversion?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #16995
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am trying to find a good gift for a friend that he could race RTR in the novice 13.5 class at my local track with me. He doesn't have to be the TQ every time or anything lol, just something that he can upgrade later and that he might be a little competitive right now. I was looking at the HPI E10, but looked and researched harder, and didn't think it would be fast enough to even compete at the lower level. I started to think about the Cyclone S as it looked like the same basic format as the TC (or is it?) and the TC proves to be a good car at my track. Is there any real difference in the two in the means of performance?
Is it a good starter car? What do you all think about it? Thanks
Dan