R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #16666
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mild seven

Ive got the same problem at the moment. I think the spur gear holder is a bit warped coz no matter how i do up the spur it always wobbles. Not 100% sure as i dont have another spare holder.
mild seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #16667
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
hey guys...has anyone even had the spur gear wobble??

I've in the process of rebuilding mine, and when I spin the spur gear it looks like the gear is warped and its kinda bugging me..
  • I've checked spacing with the one pulley - to make sure its not an optical illusion
  • I've spun the gear when its not screwed on, still have a wobble
  • spun it with the gear lightly tighten down, still have it
  • Moved the spur gear 'mount' around on that center 'flat spot' - just to make sure I had it fully seated
  • Used an 'official' HB supr, PRS spurs, kimborough...the only one I got with just about no wobble was some crappy brand spurs - that I didn't like using...

any ideas???? I'm stumped - the car is drivable, it just bugging me that I can't get it to spin true
Hi,

I recently purchased a HB Cyclone TC and had exact same problem.

I was using a Kimborough spur which can only use two Spur mounting screws.

I purchased a Xenon Spur which allows all 4 screws to mount the Spur, and problem solved.

Cheers
"I'm either retired or unemployed, depending on when the money runs out !" > AERCCC_#25 > LargeOutdoorAsphaltTrack > CycloneTC + TekinRS_HWXerun_ESCs + Duo2_17.5 + SMC_Fantom_LiPos + BLS551 + MX3FG + TC1030 + MM >> =======TRACK_VIEW_FROM_SPACE========> http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-34.857766,138.560313&ll=-34.857766,138.560313&z=19&t=h&nmd=20100614
cosmo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #16668
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Setup Trouble

Is there any guide on how to setup the Cyclone TC ?

I'm new at Electric On-Road cars and having real trouble finding the right setup for my car. I was hoping if you guys can direct me to a guide that explains to me the trick to setup my car for any track.

Thanks
Juan C Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #16669
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

I've in the process of rebuilding mine, and when I spin the spur gear it looks like the gear is warped and its kinda bugging me..
  • I've checked spacing with the one pulley - to make sure its not an optical illusion
  • Moved the spur gear 'mount' around on that center 'flat spot' - just to make sure I had it fully seated
  • Used an 'official' HB supr, PRS spurs, kimborough...the only one I got with just about no wobble was some crappy brand spurs - that I didn't like using...

any ideas???? I'm stumped - the car is drivable, it just bugging me that I can't get it to spin true
If you overtighten either screw mount even slightly, the gear warps and it's done.

Here are the steps that I follow to get it pretty true:
- Make sure that you're using a new gear that allows all 4 scews to be used, such as the HB spurs.
- Put some blue threadlock into the screw holes on the spur gear mount. It will allow you to use less tension when tightening the scews, and it will still hold on.
- Put on the gear and thread in the screws.
- You'll want to tighten them lightly in a cross pattern, using only your thumb and forefinger on the wrench (don't use the 1/8 scale engine screw grip).
- Spin the layshaft/spur assembly to check for wobbles (get the belts and pinion out of the way first)
- If it spins true, give all 4 screws about a 1/16 of a turn to snug it up and you're good to go. Otherwise, if it wobbles, only tighten the high spot a little to bring it in-line with the rest of the gear and spin again... repeating until it runs true. If you find you have to tighten down one side a lot, loosen off the opposite side a little.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #16670
Tech Adept

Quote:

I used 2 set screws on the spur gear holder (opposite) for mounted on the shaft to solve mine's.
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #16671
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Something else to try is rotate the spur gear on the mount to try a different set of holes. Sometimes the holes may look close, but they are not. A way you can tell is just use the shaft of your allen driver to tighten then screws. If you feel any resistance from the spur gear, then they are the wrong holes. they should thread in with ease.

-Korey
Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #16672
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

thanks for all the suggestions...i've tried them all

the PRS spur was old and new - and that's a 2-screw spur..i'd deem it the 2nd least wobbly of the group
I think tried a HB (xenon) spur, with both 2 screw and 4 screws...plus the lock tight and tighten down in star/cross pattern - still wobbly..

this is why i'm stumped...

I wish parts were available at other shops aside from HPI/Hotbodiesonline
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #16673
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc pete View Post
- Spin the layshaft/spur assembly to check for wobbles (get the belts and pinion out of the way first)
- If it spins true, give all 4 screws about a 1/16 of a turn to snug it up and you're good to go. Otherwise, if it wobbles, only tighten the high spot a little to bring it in-line with the rest of the gear and spin again... repeating until it runs true. If you find you have to tighten down one side a lot, loosen off the opposite side a little.

Hope that helps.
I guess i didn't have enough patience to try this the last nite - i tried everything else i know, but didn't go this slow

guess i'll have to give this a shot
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #16674
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

DCJ
angle bigger than XRAY & MIP
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-hb-67699.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #16675
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
DCJ
angle bigger than XRAY & MIP
What do you mean?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #16676
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

hi, anyone know if cyclone S steering post can use on Cyclone TC ?

thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #16677
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
What do you mean?
the turning angle of cvd is bigger...
Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #16678
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_wheel View Post
the turning angle of cvd is bigger...
If you need more turning angle then CVD you have much bigger problems.

In a single joint there is acceleration as it turns, with two joints much of this cancels so the rotational speed is more constant. That speed change in the joint is what causes chatter in a CVD.
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #16679
Tech Regular

Anybody have any issues with the 18T center pulley ? My son recently installed this into his Cyclone S and it seems as if the set screw came out and the threads in the center pulley are now stripped and now I have to find a new center pulley Not easy to find, finally found one at Stormer Hobbies Any way to re-use the previous one ? Thx.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #16680
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit_dad View Post
Anybody have any issues with the 18T center pulley ? My son recently installed this into his Cyclone S and it seems as if the set screw came out and the threads in the center pulley are now stripped and now I have to find a new center pulley Not easy to find, finally found one at Stormer Hobbies Any way to re-use the previous one ? Thx.
You could use a tap to re-tap the original hole slightly bigger and use the new set screw since you know the size you use for the tap. Metric size is little hard to find.
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote