R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #16561
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I'M BACK!!!! HB most controversal racer ever will be back running the car that many in Norcal fear After running Scotty Barnes' car last weekend (not even Hara could stay on pace ) Please direct all statements and questions to Korey. He will be more than happy to answer all pm's

Hiro- I need some stickers bro
What the...
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #16562
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Well ... 2nd race so far, ended 3rd ... what a great pleasure to race this car !

So far no problems at all (well, yes, after last and final heat i found by the last lap my car was loose on the rear, and found my rear belt "upside down", what can be ?).

Next race, July 5th, wish me luck !!

cya !!

Pat
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #16563
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Well ... 2nd race so far, ended 3rd ... what a great pleasure to race this car !

So far no problems at all (well, yes, after last and final heat i found by the last lap my car was loose on the rear, and found my rear belt "upside down", what can be ?).

Next race, July 5th, wish me luck !!

cya !!

Pat
this car belts not have problem !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #16564
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool

I've had my Cyclone Moore Speed for over 2 years now and have only raced it occasionally. I've recently noticed that when the car runs while I steer it, there is severe front drivetrain vibrations (i verified this by flipping car over, gunning the throttle and steering at the same time.). No problems with straight line running. Only while turning is this observed. I have a spool up front and new hb cyclone front steel universals and axles. I have also rebuilt the entire front end as per instructions and the problem persists. I think I am losing too much traction and speed on corners because of this. It is less noticeable without the front tires on the car but really bad with them on. I've tried different wheels/tires sets as well and it did not help and my wheel/tire sets are pretty much balanced.

Has anyone observed anything similar with their cyclones? I love my cyclone and hope someone can help. My 415 does not exhibit such vibrations.
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 AM   #16565
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
There goes the neighborhood if you know what I mean!
I should have waited for your car since I know you're going red whenever it comes out
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #16566
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STPN View Post
What the...
See what happens when you miss a race.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #16567
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
On a side note, The HB ver 3 spool with POM outdrives is actually pretty dang light. I've noticed going to the POM outdrives gives a little more steering, and takes some of the chatter away. Most likely because they fit a little more sloppy. Not sure why they seem to give more steering though... but it's worth a shot!

-Korey

Could the Moore Speed spool outdrives be the culprit in my front end vibration/chattering??? What is the POM outdrive and where can I get this? Do you have a part number? Thanks.
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #16568
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
To be perfectly honest... I doubt you'll notice a huge difference. I know it looks good on paper, but whenever I've spent all that money on super lightweight parts I've never really seen it to be worth the cost. I'd save that money for tires!!!

On a side note, The HB ver 3 spool with POM outdrives is actually pretty dang light. I've noticed going to the POM outdrives gives a little more steering, and takes some of the chatter away. Most likely because they fit a little more sloppy. Not sure why they seem to give more steering though... but it's worth a shot!

-Korey
I totally agree with Korey. I have tried all the hop ups you mentioned and you could save approx 15 grams total. That would not make you go any faster, so spend your money on tires and a variety of bodies.

I also noticed the POM outdrive for V3 Spool and TR Delrin outdrives give slightly better turn in at tight corners. I suspect it is due to less binding and friction than the steel ones, under load. So they allow more weight to be transfered to the front end. But, you could achieve the same effect via other setting. These plastic outdrives will crack very easily, once you hit something with your front wheels.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #16569
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
See what happens when you miss a race.
I am also getting a red car but will keep the purple one just because of the color
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #16570
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys long time no talk?!

Damn I should've not bought all this expensive stuff.

Spent over $1000 already and only used it once!

Selling it now to make rent,

here's my FS thread.

Pc guys,
Mike

PM me through ebay if you have any questions

Hot Bodies Cyclone TC HARA ED. Team Orion Vortex
Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #16571
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool View Post
Could the Moore Speed spool outdrives be the culprit in my front end vibration/chattering??? What is the POM outdrive and where can I get this? Do you have a part number? Thanks.
The POM ourdrives are made from the same material as the POM differential outdrives that come stock in the TC kit. I've noticed wear is very minimal on these, but they aren't the most durable things in the world. At the reedy race, I ended up using the steel outdrives just for extra peace of mind.

What the team has found, the steel outdrives work best when used with MIP CVD's in the front of the car. The MIP CVD's don't fit as tight in the hub bearings, and give a little bit of slop there. That helps take some of the chatter out as well. When using the POM outdrives, we suggest using the HB Ver 2 universals as they fit tighter in the bearings and the combinded amoutn of slop isn't too much. It seems to be the best combo for the POM outdrives.

As far as other questions about chatter, check to make sure you have at least version 2 HB universals or MIP CVD's. The ball joint and range of motion is greater on these, so they chatter significantly less. Also, there will always be some chatter with a spool, so a little bit isn't much to be worried about. Especially in an unloaded condition like turning the car upside down.

If you guys are still concerned about chatter, hot bodies has just recently released their DCJ driveshafts which have two universal joint in them, much like designs from Losi or Xray.

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/67699.html

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/67731.html

-Korey
Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #16572
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

are those DCJs for the front only? If not is there any reason to run them in the rear?

what do the POM cups mount to? Is that the same material as the plastic diff?
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #16573
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistic View Post
are those DCJs for the front only? If not is there any reason to run them in the rear?

The POM cups mount to the Ver. 3 Spool.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #16574
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistic View Post

DCJ's should only be used in the front. We've had some very odd results running them in the rear. We can't explain it, but they tend to make the rear end loose when used in the rear. Losi apparently ran into the same thing when they tried them on the back when testing theirs. In the front, they just help the car work more efficently and roll through the corner better.

Advil beat me to it, the POM cups a lightweight alternative to the steel cups the the Ver 3 spool by HB has.

-Korey
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #16575
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool View Post
I've had my Cyclone Moore Speed for over 2 years now and have only raced it occasionally. I've recently noticed that when the car runs while I steer it, there is severe front drivetrain vibrations (i verified this by flipping car over, gunning the throttle and steering at the same time.). No problems with straight line running. Only while turning is this observed. I have a spool up front and new hb cyclone front steel universals and axles. I have also rebuilt the entire front end as per instructions and the problem persists. I think I am losing too much traction and speed on corners because of this. It is less noticeable without the front tires on the car but really bad with them on. I've tried different wheels/tires sets as well and it did not help and my wheel/tire sets are pretty much balanced.

Has anyone observed anything similar with their cyclones? I love my cyclone and hope someone can help. My 415 does not exhibit such vibrations.
I have had this problem too with my cyclone s with the stock dogbones so ordered the mip cvd's and it still chatters when steering in cranked but it doestnt seem to affect the handling when i race.I have heared of several brands of cars that do this but my 18r doesnt and is very smooth.
airwoods is offline   Reply With Quote