R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #16546
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was told HPI's shock oil weight rating is equivalent to CST exactly. For example, 40 wt = 400 CST. Is this true?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #16547
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, I asked Hiro at HB. He said that HPI oil runs VERY thin... when I say very... I really mean VERY. He said HPI 80wt is pretty close to Losi 45wt. I have not had any personal experience with this though, so I can't confirm. Hiro is a trusted source though, as he is on the R&D team .

-Korey
Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #16548
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Well, I asked Hiro at HB. He said that HPI oil runs VERY thin... when I say very... I really mean VERY. He said HPI 80wt is pretty close to Losi 45wt. I have not had any personal experience with this though, so I can't confirm. Hiro is a trusted source though, as he is on the R&D team .

-Korey
Yes, I noticed that. I used run 70 to 80 wt HPI oil in my car. I just switched to HPI molded pistons with really tiny holes, so I can run some where around 40 - 50 wt. I have the entire range of HPI oil, so it would be quite costly for me to switch to another brand.

Any chance Hiro may have the conversion between HPI oil and AE / Losi, or the CST equivalents?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #16549
Tech Regular

I am going to be racing a 17.5 class and was wondering if lowering the rotating mass would be a big difference?

I was thinking of getting the Edit RC Titanium lay shaft, Titanium Racings spool and cvd's.

Also would ceramic bearings be a good addition? Are there any low friction belts?
Khador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #16550
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khador12 View Post
I am going to be racing a 17.5 class and was wondering if lowering the rotating mass would be a big difference?

I was thinking of getting the Edit RC Titanium lay shaft, Titanium Racings spool and cvd's.

Also would ceramic bearings be a good addition? Are there any low friction belts?
I didn't see a US importer for Edit?
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #16551
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Yes, I noticed that. I used run 70 to 80 wt HPI oil in my car. I just switched to HPI molded pistons with really tiny holes, so I can run some where around 40 - 50 wt. I have the entire range of HPI oil, so it would be quite costly for me to switch to another brand.

Any chance Hiro may have the conversion between HPI oil and AE / Losi, or the CST equivalents?
I don't think he does. He just knows that by feel/experience... he has those crazy ninja skills you know haha
Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #16552
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khador12 View Post

To be perfectly honest... I doubt you'll notice a huge difference. I know it looks good on paper, but whenever I've spent all that money on super lightweight parts I've never really seen it to be worth the cost. I'd save that money for tires!!!

On a side note, The HB ver 3 spool with POM outdrives is actually pretty dang light. I've noticed going to the POM outdrives gives a little more steering, and takes some of the chatter away. Most likely because they fit a little more sloppy. Not sure why they seem to give more steering though... but it's worth a shot!

-Korey
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #16553
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
The one you've seen is an Aluminum Cup Joint #67724, option part for Pro-spec Ball Diff. You can get it at amainhobbies.com or hotbodiesonline.com, they have it in stock.
Thankyou
bydand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #16554
Tech Regular

Quote:
To be perfectly honest... I doubt you'll notice a huge difference. I know it looks good on paper, but whenever I've spent all that money on super lightweight parts I've never really seen it to be worth the cost. I'd save that money for tires!!!

On a side note, The HB ver 3 spool with POM outdrives is actually pretty dang light. I've noticed going to the POM outdrives gives a little more steering, and takes some of the chatter away. Most likely because they fit a little more sloppy. Not sure why they seem to give more steering though... but it's worth a shot!

-Korey
Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking.
Khador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #16555
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post

Quote:
I don't think he does. He just knows that by feel/experience... he has those crazy ninja skills you know haha
I don't have the conversion and what I answered to Korey was all from my experiences. but actually the HPI shock oils are very light compared to losi, x-ray oils.

humm ninja skills huh? i wish i could use those skills for my driving
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #16556
Tech Champion

Well... I kind borrowed the Ninja skills for Reedy. I guess I should have boxed those up and sent those to you too!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #16557
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'M BACK!!!! HB most controversal racer ever will be back running the car that many in Norcal fear After running Scotty Barnes' car last weekend (not even Hara could stay on pace ) Please direct all statements and questions to Korey. He will be more than happy to answer all pm's

Hiro- I need some stickers bro
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #16558
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I'M BACK!!!! HB most controversal racer ever will be back running the car that many in Norcal fear After running Scotty Barnes' car last weekend (not even Hara could stay on pace ) Please direct all statements and questions to Korey. He will be more than happy to answer all pm's

I got you on the stickers bro. They will be with the car. Hiro HOOKED IT UP at the Reedy. Many are on the counter at Hobby Town USA in Fremont.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #16559
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post

I knew you would be... it was only a matter of time.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #16560
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

There goes the neighborhood if you know what I mean!