R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #16486
Tech Master
 
Scott B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NOR-CAL
Posts: 1,209
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
I bought a weight plate but I can't fit the plate with the battery at the same time does anyone know when the New upper deck will be released ? How are you guys getting the plate to fit ????
You have to mill or dremal off some of the bulkhead that goes over the battery. I think I took off about 2.5mm, and my Thunder Power 5000 with PPD tray fits just fine.
__________________
Mugen Racing USA, Gizmo Racing USA, Sweep Racing Tires, R1 Wurks, Protoform...
"When I want the truth I go to the internet because that's the magical place where no one lies"...
"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #16487
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Most just grind the bulkhead that hangs below the upper deck.

I have already shaved more than 2 mm off that part.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #16488
Tech Elite
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,275
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Manutech racing sells lipo plates for the cyclone tc, you can buy them from stormer hobbies i think.
read the forum people!!! stormer hobbies has them in stock $49.99
__________________
Ryan Borgheiinck
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #16489
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,505
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

That plate is too thick to run with most of the popular 40c batteries.Poor design.Wasted my money after the sales guy at Stormer said it would fit with minimal hassle.Right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
read the forum people!!! stormer hobbies has them in stock $49.99
__________________
Team I'm Over It
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #16490
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

So how much would it mess the flex of the chassis up if you were to make a chassis that as solid under the pack and just milled down 1mm so the pack had a pocket to sit in. Seems like it would make it flex more even since it is solid on the motor side as well
__________________
"Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
TLR 22 3.0 SR, TLR 22-4 1.875, Sanwa M12S, Savox, Hobbywing, Schuurspeed, Protek

Last edited by DG Designs; 06-02-2009 at 09:56 PM.
DG Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #16491
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I don't think the weight plate could make the car handle better. That slightly lower CG at the right side would not translate into better handling. Furthermore, the CG at the left side is higher. I think the Top and Xray solutions are much more elegant, and you can fit any lipo, including those huge ones.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #16492
TFR
Tech Master
 
TFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,767
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
That plate is too thick to run with most of the popular 40c batteries.Poor design.Wasted my money after the sales guy at Stormer said it would fit with minimal hassle.Right!
Selling it?
__________________
Muchmore l AHRP l Xenon l Futaba
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #16493
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,094
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
I don't think the weight plate could make the car handle better. That slightly lower CG at the right side would not translate into better handling. Furthermore, the CG at the left side is higher. I think the Top and Xray solutions are much more elegant, and you can fit any lipo, including those huge ones.
Well, back to back testing for me (and many others) has proven it's been an effective way to balancing the car. It replicates the feeling as if a Ni-Mh battery were there giving the car the balance it was designed to have. When the weight is spread out further away from where the weight was originally designed to be with N-Mh, the car doesn't seem to handle quite the same. Ideally... we would be able to split the pack in half and put a weight in between the cells to replicate the Ni-Mh pack even further, but it just can't happen with the current products on the market.

Maybe it's not the lower CG, but I've found it's the best way to maintain the same balance and feel on the track. I've talked to other drivers from around the country on our team, and other teams... They all generally have the same opinion. If you put weight on the side of the battery evenly, it feels different. Same with putting the weight all in front and behind the battery pack. I know the xray setup looks nice, but I still feel a weight plate under the battery is better.

HB does have a solution to the upper deck/bulkhead clearance for the larger lipo batteries. Many people on the team including myself have been testing it, and it works well. It allows you to have more room so you can run a plate under the battery pack with ease, and still have a little bit of room! I'm not 100% if HB has decided to produce it or work on some other solution, but I'm hoping them do.

Hope that helps

-Korey
__________________
Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Sweep - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #16494
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,062
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
That plate is too thick to run with most of the popular 40c batteries.Poor design.Wasted my money after the sales guy at Stormer said it would fit with minimal hassle.Right!
The plate was designed to be used with the thinner packs because of the current design in the bulked on the TC. When I worked with Chris to design this plate the requirements were simple. Let's make a plate that keeps the battery from moving around and keeps the weight very low on the car. It seems that all of these new LIPOs keep getting bigger and bigger. It is hard to design a plate that will work for every single combination, and with the limited amount of space between the chassis and the bottom of the bulked it is even harder. I am sorry that you had issues with the plate but I am sure you can sell it pretty easily if you still have it. These Brass weight plates work so well it amazes me, Chris is very meticulous and does a great job producing them.

The Cyclone TC seems very sensitive to weight placement. Run the weight too high and traction roll city. Run it on the outside and the car feels funny. I have done a ton of testing around weight placement in this car and I can tell you that you must have the weight as low as possible in the car or you will really feel it. The height of the weight is so important.

The height of your electronics and wiring also plays a big role in trying to keep the car in balance. I have run a lot of cars in my time and I can tell you that you MUST take the time to find balance in this car. If not you will be fighting issues until you fix it.
__________________
Xray | Hudy | Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | Protoform | Proline | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #16495
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
The plate was designed to be used with the thinner packs because of the current design in the bulked on the TC. When I worked with Chris to design this plate the requirements were simple. Let's make a plate that keeps the battery from moving around and keeps the weight very low on the car. It seems that all of these new LIPOs keep getting bigger and bigger. It is hard to design a plate that will work for every single combination, and with the limited amount of space between the chassis and the bottom of the bulked it is even harder. I am sorry that you had issues with the plate but I am sure you can sell it pretty easily if you still have it. These Brass weight plates work so well it amazes me, Chris is very meticulous and does a great job producing them.

The Cyclone TC seems very sensitive to weight placement. Run the weight too high and traction roll city. Run it on the outside and the car feels funny. I have done a ton of testing around weight placement in this car and I can tell you that you must have the weight as low as possible in the car or you will really feel it. The height of the weight is so important.

The height of your electronics and wiring also plays a big role in trying to keep the car in balance. I have run a lot of cars in my time and I can tell you that you MUST take the time to find balance in this car. If not you will be fighting issues until you fix it.
I think the problem I am having is what you said about weight placment my car push med to exit on most 180 deg corners and transition is very slow in chine, the only other problem I have is the lipo I am using is the 6000 SMC which is hard to stuff in without grinding the bulk head and that is without the tray weigth, I have most of the lead weight on the battery on the outside to keep the car balance from left to right my car is balance but it feel funny.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #16496
Tech Master
 
balistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Littlerock Ca.
Posts: 1,852
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

I took my TC to an airstrip we were working on with a radar board and got it to go a solid 72. seemed topped out. I was running a Losi 4.5, speed passion 2.1, maxamps 4200 2S, at 34/69 (48 pitch) with a Mazda 6 body and the spoiler.

Anyone know if that is a good number?

I was thinking of taking the spoiler off, it was pushing the back of car to the ground with 8mm ride height, that and I think almost all the weight of the car was transferring to the rear at speed.

I was hoping to get into the high 80s if not 90 with a 3S and no spoiler but the radar got torn down before the motor cooled off
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #16497
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,062
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras View Post
I think the problem I am having is what you said about weight placment my car push med to exit on most 180 deg corners and transition is very slow in chine, the only other problem I have is the lipo I am using is the 6000 SMC which is hard to stuff in without grinding the bulk head and that is without the tray weigth, I have most of the lead weight on the battery on the outside to keep the car balance from left to right my car is balance but it feel funny.
Well, I dealt with very similar issues and the key is to try and understand how the car is balanced on the track. When I was trying to figure out my weight issues the car balanced perfectly on the bench, but on the track I had major issues. This was a matter of where my weight was located. Getting the weight lower made a huge difference in the way that the car handled on the track.
__________________
Xray | Hudy | Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | Protoform | Proline | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #16498
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,094
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Well, I dealt with very similar issues and the key is to try and understand how the car is balanced on the track. When I was trying to figure out my weight issues the car balanced perfectly on the bench, but on the track I had major issues. This was a matter of where my weight was located. Getting the weight lower made a huge difference in the way that the car handled on the track.
Agreed!!!
__________________
Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Sweep - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #16499
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Well, I dealt with very similar issues and the key is to try and understand how the car is balanced on the track. When I was trying to figure out my weight issues the car balanced perfectly on the bench, but on the track I had major issues. This was a matter of where my weight was located. Getting the weight lower made a huge difference in the way that the car handled on the track.
Check for tweak. A slightly tweaked chassis would make a HUGE difference to the weight distribution. I have performed many tests, including getting 4 scales to check for load distribution. The effect of tweak is shocking.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #16500
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
That plate is too thick to run with most of the popular 40c batteries.Poor design.Wasted my money after the sales guy at Stormer said it would fit with minimal hassle.Right!
Selling it?
Christopher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Bodies Cyclone S wardyl Electric On-Road 4 10-01-2008 07:01 AM
Hot bodies Cyclone 12 k7king R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 09-04-2008 07:09 AM
WTB Hot Bodies Cyclone/ cyclone Parts tenpins77 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 07-29-2008 07:48 AM
Hot Bodies Cyclone sdt1 Australia For Sale/Trade 6 07-13-2008 02:05 AM
WTB: Cyclone S/Cyclone Painted bodies vazzo Australia Wanted to Buy 0 02-05-2008 05:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:51 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net