R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #15751
Tech Adept

well last weekend was really good. sometimes when you drive some elses car you find out what is wrong with your own. in my case the cyclone had serious understeer problems both in and out of corners.
so remembering hara's setup I thought to create more steering that way so I moved the front arms backwards which helped a bit. then i changed to silver front springs and taadaa!! the car was a lot better!
now i still suffer in certain places of the track where there is a dirrectional change from a left hand hairpin (at the end of the straight) directly into a right hand hairpin and also on a fast 90deg right hand turn into a left hand sweeper. the car just doesn't change over quick enough.
what would you look into first shock rebound or roll centres?

here's the setup i ran
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-20090329_setup.jpg  

Last edited by tomracing; 03-30-2009 at 04:03 AM.
tomracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #15752
Tech Apprentice

Lrp Masters 2009 Ronald Volker use new upper deck an front rear bulkhead !!!!!

Photos : http://tcm2009.lrp.cc/en/gallery/
grooveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #15753
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ok guys, i dont get many opportunities to toot my own horn, so let me do it for once

That 2-season old Cyclone Hara of mine still has it. It won the 10.5/lipo class at the Geneva Touring Car Masters saturday, it's a 10.5/CS27 carpet indoor spec class. I used Andy Moore 11/06 (2+ yrs old setup for a 2+ yrs old car) CRF setup (which basically is a variation of Hara's famous "1.5" setup that works almost everywhere) with 40WT oil all around (I only run a 10.5 when this guy was on a 7x1) and 1.0 sweep at the front (as I don't have Andy's fingers ) and the car was an absolute dream. The car was absolutely fantastic, and people came up to me spontaneously to talk about how incredibly efficient it was on the track, both easy to drive, while still carrying impressive corner speed. It ran the only 29-lapper of the day in that class, while the "open" guys would run 29 or 28 lappers.

Car still has a lot of life in it perfect way to close the indoors season!

About one of the posts above: I think Hara puts a washer below the piston for 2 reasons:
1- prevent damaging the shock body with the e-clip if the car bottoms out (shouldn't be the case unless you have the droop setup really wrong vs. shock length but you never know)
2- keep some oil below the piston at all times to prevent a "succion" effect (which would generate extra, unexpected pack due to the turbulent flow) should the suspension get squashed right after it got fully extended.

Now, a good car cleanup, rebuild, then on the shelf, and off to the outdoors, 8th scale off road season with the MBX-6!!!

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 AM   #15754
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Coldn

nobody know why exist this hole??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldn View Post
in upper deck of cyclone TC.

wy it have a 2 holes in servo safer??

Coldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #15755
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldn View Post
nobody know why exist this hole??
2 reasons I can think of
- REALLY different ackerman settings
- 5th body mount

To get a proper answer, ask the guy who built it

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #15756
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main

My guess would be another spot to put your attena
King of B Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #15757
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomracing View Post
well last weekend was really good. sometimes when you drive some elses car you find out what is wrong with your own. in my case the cyclone had serious understeer problems both in and out of corners.
so remembering hara's setup I thought to create more steering that way so I moved the front arms backwards which helped a bit. then i changed to silver front springs and taadaa!! the car was a lot better!
now i still suffer in certain places of the track where there is a dirrectional change from a left hand hairpin (at the end of the straight) directly into a right hand hairpin and also on a fast 90deg right hand turn into a left hand sweeper. the car just doesn't change over quick enough.

here's the setup i ran
You may want to try 2mm under the wishbone retainers instead of the 1.3 your using, and put the foam above the bladder in the shock, and build it with full rebound, that way you car will transition quicker through the corners.
Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #15758
Tech Master

Any one got a link to an active setup page for the TC Clone please.
Cheers Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #15759
Tech Adept

thanks for the comments malc
Korey any thoughts?

for setups mostly petit seems to combine setups for cyclone and TC on the same page:
http://www.petitrc.com/view_news.php?id=4553
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #15760
Tech Adept

well i just finished my very first interactive pdf document a setup sheet for the cyclone TC.
i didn't know how to do the fill in for the tires like was on the wce version but i think i got most other things working okay.
if any one has any improvements your welcome and i will see if i can fit it in.

interactive HB TC pdf[1.7mb]
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #15761
Tech Master

Can you put a link to the interactive pdf document
Cheers Malc
Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #15762
Tech Adept

Hello,I would firstly like to thank the help they gave me read this posts, for sharing your experiencies, and especial thanks for STLNLST, for your setup.

The last weekend i race the LRP TCM, i donīt have any experiencie in carpet, and i donīt know a good base setup for this surface, and for my style of driving.
In the free training i tried several things, and the car passed to driveable, but very dificult and inconsistent.At night everything changed the setup, and put STLNLST setup, the car now are very consistent and more easy to drive, but traction roll constantly , and i broke the car.
Finally, i make some modifications to the setup, and the car is fast, consistent and not traction roll, but the driver skills are not than good

From the setup, i changed Rear springs, blue to silver, Rear droop, 5 to 4, and stabilizers to 1.4, F and R, and put spacers in front hex.
This work for me, diferent track, carpet or driver is possible not work the same way, but I wanted to share it with your, and thanks.

The results are not important, i have really enjoyed this race and I have fun, I hope to return next year.

For Volkerd car, are the same he is use in Italy, with Tamiya steering, and a large top deck, it seem very flex, the car are very fast, i think that the more, Ronald have a very good driving style, and is very fast and consistent, but not have a good luck,the final results do not reflect how well he did on the track, the Tamiya drivers did a very good job, of course.
If this is a new HB Carpet car desing, i think is a very good way, very fast and i can see, very strong.

Thanks again, Luis C.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #15763
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomracing View Post

here's the setup i ran
I would try running more spacers under the suspension blocks. I think you will benefit from 1.5mm of shims rather than 1.25. It will wake up the car and a bit and keep it flatter through some of the corners.

Your shock oil is fairly light, so you should probably keep that the same.

You can also try standing up the rear shock a bit, but going to a blue spring. The combination of a softer spring and moving it out on the shock tower should let it transfer weight quicker without sacrificing too much grip.

Maybe try running the foams in the shocks as well. It will create a little more rebound in the shock.

-Korey
Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #15764
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luic View Post
Hello,I would firstly like to thank the help they gave me read this posts, for sharing your experiencies, and especial thanks for STLNLST, for your setup.

The last weekend i race the LRP TCM, i donīt have any experiencie in carpet, and i donīt know a good base setup for this surface, and for my style of driving.
In the free training i tried several things, and the car passed to driveable, but very dificult and inconsistent.At night everything changed the setup, and put STLNLST setup, the car now are very consistent and more easy to drive, but traction roll constantly , and i broke the car.
Finally, i make some modifications to the setup, and the car is fast, consistent and not traction roll, but the driver skills are not than good

From the setup, i changed Rear springs, blue to silver, Rear droop, 5 to 4, and stabilizers to 1.4, F and R, and put spacers in front hex.
This work for me, diferent track, carpet or driver is possible not work the same way, but I wanted to share it with your, and thanks.

The results are not important, i have really enjoyed this race and I have fun, I hope to return next year.

For Volkerd car, are the same he is use in Italy, with Tamiya steering, and a large top deck, it seem very flex, the car are very fast, i think that the more, Ronald have a very good driving style, and is very fast and consistent, but not have a good luck,the final results do not reflect how well he did on the track, the Tamiya drivers did a very good job, of course.
If this is a new HB Carpet car desing, i think is a very good way, very fast and i can see, very strong.

Thanks again, Luis C.
Glad to hear that worked for you. However......I'm just the guy that posted the set up. Sean Williams is the guy that gave me the set up.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #15765
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the one and only STLNLST
HEWITT is offline   Reply With Quote