R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #15481
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 537
Default

hey stlnlst, did you ever beat scotty? no, i didnt think so,lol, wait, isnt he still running a cyclone?
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #15482
Tech Elite
 
ShaunMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Loading...
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
Hi, just want to ask about the new TC shocks or the new special coated shocks see if anybody have an oil leak from the bottom? I got some info. is put 0.2 thick shim between shocks body and the O ring. But so far it's still have a problem. Anybody have any idea? Thanks!
Adding shims may make the leak worse. It will put added pressure and could cause the o-ring to distort and not seal correctly. Try building the shock with a new o-ring. Be sure to lube the shock shaft and o-ring with shock oil or green slime so they will slide together smoothly. Sometimes putting these together unlubed can damage the o-ring just enough for it to leak.

Are all your shocks leaking?
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #15483
Tech Adept
 
EJ20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Adding shims may make the leak worse. It will put added pressure and could cause the o-ring to distort and not seal correctly. Try building the shock with a new o-ring. Be sure to lube the shock shaft and o-ring with shock oil or green slime so they will slide together smoothly. Sometimes putting these together unlubed can damage the o-ring just enough for it to leak.

Are all your shocks leaking?
Thanks, all the shocks seems wet at the bottom on the ball connecters. I will replace new o-ring and keep track for that. Thanks!
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #15484
Tech Fanatic
 
rc pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Airdire, AB, Canada
Posts: 773
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Hello everybody ,

I have a question , i went racing on sunday and it was really good excepte one thing , i need a bit more mid corner steering .
I had more than enough entry steering but for mid corner exit i need a litle bit more steering if its possible .
The track is carpet medium traction quite flowing , and when i raced at the same place before with a tighter layout , i also needed more mid exit steering.
My current setup is the following :

Controlled tires are SWEEP 32 ,

front

ride height : 5.25 mm
droop over ride height :3.5 mm
base role center ( under pivot blocks ) : 1mm
role center under camber links : 3mm
1.5 camber
0.5 toe out
pink spring with 50w oil
1.5 in-board toe block
silver roll bar ( 1.4mm )
shock positon #2.5
spool
ackermann 2mm

rear

ride height : 5.75 mm
droop over ride height : 4mm
base role center ( under pivot block ) : 1mm
under camber link : 2mm
1.5 camber
3.0 in-board toe block
copper roll bar ( 1.2mm )
silver spring with 45w oil
shock position #3.5



It was ran on a WCE cyclone .
If anyone could give me any advice of how to have more mid corner and exit steering it will be much appreciated .
Thanks for any help .
The 4mm ackerman is what I'd recommend to start on a flowing medium traction carpet track. I haven't had much luck running less spacing (more ackerman) on carpet with rubber unless it's a tight point-and-shoot track. You'll find that the car carves around the turns more predictably.

Also try moving the front arms all the way back. It will put more weight over the front and give you more mid and exit steering.

As a general comment, you must be getting a lot of roll out the car... normally I don't see carpet/rubber setups with low roll centers and soft springs (looks like a pavement setup). I find on carpet it takes away some responsiveness out of the car.
__________________
Team Associated - Reedy - Pro-Line - RC Depot - OS Engines - 110% Racing - LD Graphics
rc pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #15485
Tech Fanatic
 
rc pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Airdire, AB, Canada
Posts: 773
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
Thanks, all the shocks seems wet at the bottom on the ball connecters. I will replace new o-ring and keep track for that. Thanks!
And make sure that you're using the stock o-rings and not the 38755 Competition O-rings as listed in the Hara cyclone build guide. The comp. o-rings are super smooth but they leak big time. I have no idea how the guy gets them to work... maybe you're supposed to motor spray them to enlarge them before you lube them.
__________________
Team Associated - Reedy - Pro-Line - RC Depot - OS Engines - 110% Racing - LD Graphics
rc pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #15486
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,953
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
hey stlnlst, did you ever beat scotty? no, i didnt think so,lol, wait, isnt he still running a cyclone?

I've already beat him with his cyclone so been there done that. The question is....will you ever make the same main as Scotty?????
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #15487
Tech Elite
 
RCFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: MEMBER OF THE "MWC" Mimi Wong Clan
Posts: 2,403
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
Hi, just want to ask about the new TC shocks or the new special coated shocks see if anybody have an oil leak from the bottom? I got some info. is put 0.2 thick shim between shocks body and the O ring. But so far it's still have a problem. Anybody have any idea? Thanks!
EJ20 i had the same crappy leaking shocks also.. spent many times using different O-rings and different rebounds to try and stop leakage. Me and my buddy that runs the TC cyclone had the same exact problems... But our other buddy that runs the Moorespeed edition never complains about it. Come to think of it, my black cyclone and my Surikarn never had a problem. There are different part numbers for the shock bodies between the TC and the previous cars..... so i compared the difference between the shock bodies, and found the older version bodies, anything other than the TC was different. the bottom portion of the older shock body had a smaller INNER DIAMETER than the TC ones.. but same size O-ring?!?!?!? swapped shock bodies(running older type) on the new TC and problem is pretty much fixed!!!!! i checked close up pics of Hara's cars and he is also running older shock bodies with the newer chassis?!?!?!? You can tell because the older shock bodies are threaded all the way down to the bottom shock cap.. The TC ones are only threaded about 2-3mm above the lower shock cap...
Remember to use new O-rings and apply o-ring lube.

good luck and LMK how it works!!
Arv.

PS all the front end breakage concerns, caused 3 drivers to switch to other cars for durability.....
__________________
Arv.
RC AMERICA// EA MOTORSPORTS// KO PROPO// ORCA
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #15488
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The shocks that comes with the Cyclone TC has been refined.
Bottom of the shock body where the o-ring goes in was designed for perfectly fit with the brand new P3 o-ring before, but now the part has been refined as even swollen o-ring can be used w/o sacrificing of smooth function. Therefore, when the o-ring is new, there is a little gap between the "TC" shock body and the o-ring. but it should be perfect fit once the o-ring gets bigger a little bit. (Even when the o-ring is new, it should not be a problem if you put green slime or something)

As someone else mentined earlier, don't use the low-friction type o-rings as they are made slightly smaller diameter. I highly recommend that use the stock o-rings (#6820) that comes with the kit since the "TC" shock body has been optimized to use the o-ring.

Big advantage on this change/refine is that we don't have to change the shock o-rings so often anymore.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post
EJ20 i had the same crappy leaking shocks also.. spent many times using different O-rings and different rebounds to try and stop leakage. Me and my buddy that runs the TC cyclone had the same exact problems... But our other buddy that runs the Moorespeed edition never complains about it. Come to think of it, my black cyclone and my Surikarn never had a problem. There are different part numbers for the shock bodies between the TC and the previous cars..... so i compared the difference between the shock bodies, and found the older version bodies, anything other than the TC was different. the bottom portion of the older shock body had a smaller INNER DIAMETER than the TC ones.. but same size O-ring?!?!?!? swapped shock bodies(running older type) on the new TC and problem is pretty much fixed!!!!! i checked close up pics of Hara's cars and he is also running older shock bodies with the newer chassis?!?!?!? You can tell because the older shock bodies are threaded all the way down to the bottom shock cap.. The TC ones are only threaded about 2-3mm above the lower shock cap...
Remember to use new O-rings and apply o-ring lube.

good luck and LMK how it works!!
Arv.

PS all the front end breakage concerns, caused 3 drivers to switch to other cars for durability.....
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #15489
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,116
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

The newer shocks are designed to give the same feeling of the older shocks with high performance o rings, only with the stock orings. Most of the team drivers found a better performing shock with the high performance orings in the old shock as they didnt press against the shoch shaft as much. So they replaced with with the high performance orings that are of a slightly different size to have a looser fit on the shock shaft, but still seal just enough. As with many things, it is a compromise. They sacrificed the time between rebulds for better performace.

I havent had any real leakage issues with the new shocks. I do notice my rebound flattens out a bit after a little while, but thats been common with any shock. I found putting a little shock slime on the orings makes for a slightly better seal, which prolongs the time between topping of the shock oil or rebuilding it. Just make sure you use the stock orings, those are what the newer shock was designed around. I've tested MANY different orings, and these are the only orings I'd put in the newer shocks that come in the tc kit.

-Korey
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #15490
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,116
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Aww man... Hiro beat me to it...
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #15491
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Oh, Mr. Korey explained better already...

Thanks Korey!!
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #15492
Tech Elite
 
RCFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: MEMBER OF THE "MWC" Mimi Wong Clan
Posts: 2,403
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

i guess we can either wait till the o-ring gets swollen or just purchase older shock bodies.. i hated playing with shock oil during race days..

the o-rings would have to really swell up because the inner diameter between the shock bodies are a big difference..

i did sacrifice a performance i would NEVER notice in the shock action.
__________________
Arv.
RC AMERICA// EA MOTORSPORTS// KO PROPO// ORCA
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #15493
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,953
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

So for the Reedy...who will be explaining things to the racers? Korey or Hiro? I see a game of rock, paper, scissors
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #15494
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,508
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

What are people running for Lipo weights,trays,etc to achieve balance?I am running a 40c Thunder Power battery if that helps.Anyone using the PPD tray/system?
__________________
Team I'm Over It
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #15495
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,953
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
What are people running for Lipo weights,trays,etc to achieve balance?I am running a 40c Thunder Power battery if that helps.Anyone using the PPD tray/system?
Hey rookie........I'll send you a pic of what Scotty and I had on our car with a SMC 5000. The car was perfectly balanced. See ya on the black top.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Bodies Cyclone S wardyl Electric On-Road 4 10-01-2008 07:01 AM
Hot bodies Cyclone 12 k7king R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 09-04-2008 07:09 AM
WTB Hot Bodies Cyclone/ cyclone Parts tenpins77 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 07-29-2008 07:48 AM
Hot Bodies Cyclone sdt1 Australia For Sale/Trade 6 07-13-2008 02:05 AM
WTB: Cyclone S/Cyclone Painted bodies vazzo Australia Wanted to Buy 0 02-05-2008 05:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:29 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net