R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #15466
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was thinking of not going to the Carpet Nats with this car because of the lack of parts and support.

Now, i am going, and the locals are willing to give me all their parts to use for support. mainly front end parts. i was at the track testing the handout tires yesterday and all the cars were 1/2 second slower than with the other brand tires, which was fine, because it is a spec tire for the nats. gonna be testing a lot in the next few weeks, trying to get the job DONE!

Arvin
Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #15467
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just wanted to tell you guys that the info on arm sweep, fluid dynamics, ackerman and droop was very helpful to me. I went from mostly 12's with 11.8 my best to mostly 11's with 11.2 my best with small changes to my setup.
Thanks guys !!!!!!!
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #15468
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post
TJAMES,i race at the same places you race and YES the front end of the car is very delicate!! Even at the point of brushing up against a board the car will break just like that.

The complaints of cars breaking is also determined by the type of track and conditions we race on. We race on high bite high speed indoor carpet and high bite asphalt tracks, with boards that dont move. Most other racers are running the car run on wide open tracks, parking lots, outside asphalt. Also with the colder weather, we thought the higher graphite was too brittle. Indoor temp as cold as 60 degrees. I have been running the car for almost a year, and never had as much breakage with this car until we went indoors and with the colder conditions.

As a fix for broken steering knuckles, we went to aluminum steering knuckles, and it really helped a lot. I understand aluminum is the way not the way to go, but we had to FINISH RACES. I recommend purchasing "JET" brand steering knuckles, they are a direct replacement. I recommend NOT purchasing the 3 RACING which is not the same material, softer and the linkages are not the same when installed.

The other option was to install the Pro4 front arms, softer material, some were made out of nylon which were more black in color than the gray color of the TC arms. But you wont have the optional shock positions(which i dont use anyways). And the sway bar hardware must be the older stuff, the stud on the old arms are fatter and will bind the new TC swaybar ball cups.

With a lot of track time, I was able to qualify 8th at the Northeast Grand Slam Race at MiMIs and finished 7th overall!!! The only HB cyclone in the A-main, a buddy just missed it by a few tenths. Thats a lot of track time to get the car right.

We will be at the Coliseaum soon for asphalt and we will see how it does.

LMK if i can be of help.
Arvin
We found the same to br true out here. The high bite carpet and the stiff barriers have taken it's toll out on the front knuckles. I can say that I've broken more knuckle running 13.5 this carpet season that my whole time running mod with the car. It's just the way it is.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #15469
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thats strange.I never broke a knuckle at Norcal or Stockton on carpet.Outdoor,I may have broken once due to an electronic failure and a runaway.I have had every version of cyclone too.I know others have broken knuckles,but thats unfortunate for some who have had more bad luck then others.We have a bunch of Cyclones running local to me and very little issues.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #15470
Tech Addict

Hello everybody ,

I have a question , i went racing on sunday and it was really good excepte one thing , i need a bit more mid corner steering .
I had more than enough entry steering but for mid corner exit i need a litle bit more steering if its possible .
The track is carpet medium traction quite flowing , and when i raced at the same place before with a tighter layout , i also needed more mid exit steering.
My current setup is the following :

Controlled tires are SWEEP 32 ,

front

ride height : 5.25 mm
droop over ride height :3.5 mm
base role center ( under pivot blocks ) : 1mm
role center under camber links : 3mm
1.5 camber
0.5 toe out
pink spring with 50w oil
1.5 in-board toe block
silver roll bar ( 1.4mm )
shock positon #2.5
spool
ackermann 2mm

rear

ride height : 5.75 mm
droop over ride height : 4mm
base role center ( under pivot block ) : 1mm
under camber link : 2mm
1.5 camber
3.0 in-board toe block
copper roll bar ( 1.2mm )
silver spring with 45w oil
shock position #3.5

It was ran on a WCE cyclone .
If anyone could give me any advice of how to have more mid corner and exit steering it will be much appreciated .
Thanks for any help .
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #15471
Tech Master

I guess I have been fortunate. I tend to durability test every car I get and the Cyclone has been very good to me. I think I broke more stuff on my RDXs and my TC5s.

I think STLNLST needs to quit hitting stuff....

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #15472
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
I guess I have been fortunate. I tend to durability test every car I get and the Cyclone has been very good to me. I think I broke more stuff on my RDXs and my TC5s.

I think STLNLST needs to quit hitting stuff....
It's not just me though. Two guys have sold their Cyclones out of frustration and they now run a Xray. You guys race with me and know this wasn't the case out doors. Theirs something going on at the carpet track. Maybe it was built over Indian burial ground or something.... The Cyclone remains the best car I have ever driven. Knuckles are a factor out at Chico.

I'm just thinking out loud when I say this but I wonder if the knuckles were sold in pairs would some of the guys not be as frustrated. Just because some haven't had this problem doesn't mean it's not an issue. I got happy right before the main when Scotty broke a knuckle on his warm up lap. I started yelling I beat Scotty, I beat Scotty! Do you know this guys changed out a knuckle and was back on the starting grid just shy on the 2min race delay He must have had some practice changing those before
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #15473
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I got happy right before the main when Scotty broke a knuckle on his warm up lap. I started yelling I beat Scotty, I beat Scotty! Do you know this guys changed out a knuckle and was back on the starting grid just shy on the 2min race delay He must have had some practice changing those before
I've changed a few knuckles before!!!!
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #15474
Tech Addict

so, who won yesterday??
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #15475
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
so, who won yesterday??
The fat guy won and TQed.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #15476
Tech Addict

i knew he tq'd, but i couldnt stay for the mains. i had to get home for my son's birthday party. the fat guy sure is fast with his car, isnt he? wait,,,i know it isnt a cyclone tho, lolol
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #15477
Tech Adept

Default Shocks Leak?

Hi, just want to ask about the new TC shocks or the new special coated shocks see if anybody have an oil leak from the bottom? I got some info. is put 0.2 thick shim between shocks body and the O ring. But so far it's still have a problem. Anybody have any idea? Thanks!
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #15478
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
i knew he tq'd, but i couldnt stay for the mains. i had to get home for my son's birthday party. the fat guy sure is fast with his car, isnt he? wait,,,i know it isnt a cyclone tho, lolol
Yeah, I'd tell you to go back to your own thread but I'm afraid I might get arrested the next time I see you! LOL

Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #15479
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
Yeah, I'd tell you to go back to your own thread but I'm afraid I might get arrested the next time I see you! LOL
Just bring him a Donut signed by Hara
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #15480
Tech Addict

no need to worry advil, lol,
i do believe that the fat guy would take any car he drove into the winners circle tho. i dont think the brand of car would make a difference to him.