R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #15376
Tech Adept

Just got round to rebuilding my cyclone - bought it second hand a few months back. I've been trying to return it to factory spec until I came across something really odd in the manual. The previous owner had a spool arangement on the spur gear shaft, but when built to the manual, there is a one way bearing. I built it as the manual but I couldn't understand why the bearing was rotating the wrong way. But then I looked at the exploded diagram at the back, which shows the spur the other way!
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-cyclone-.jpg  
bozla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #15377
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Can you imagine the cost of manufactering a True CVD down to size for our Touring cars. You thought the XRAY ECS driveshafts were expensive!

But talk about "LUXURY"
Not only that, but the amount of added rotating mass. I prefer (in rc terms) universals to "cvds" because they seem to last longer, and in offroad, do not collect dirt and grime to wear down the components.

I think the difference you are seeing is due to manufacturing tolerances most likely with the 2 pics you shared.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #15378
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to deanomgwhiteguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
When you rebuild the diff check all bearings. Including the 5x10's in the hubs and the 10x15's in the bulkheads. Make sure that they spin freely and aren't binding. Bad bearings can cause uneven power delivery and excess wear on the drivetrain.

The cvd and universal assemblies are sorta opposites of one another. See picture below.

-The WCE CVD's use the MIP design. The driveshaft captures (goes around) the axle assembly. This does offer more efficiency at extreme turning angles. Not a huge difference.
-The TC comes with universals. The axle assembly captures the driveshaft.

To this date all Cyclones share the same basic geometry. Each new version just adds new tuning features that are compatible with ALL Cyclones. No major changes have been made in 4 years. The HB Team got the design right to begin with way back in 2005. Well... all except for the diff design. It took a few years to address that issue.
ok thankz for that i have just lost another pin so cvds are at the top of my to get list now

thankz for that
deanomgwhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #15379
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomgwhiteguy View Post
ok thankz for that i have just lost another pin so cvds are at the top of my to get list now

thankz for that
That's odd that you keep losing pins. Are they coming out right after an impact? Is it the same universal that loses a pin or is it random? Did you loctite the set screws?
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #15380
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree... that is really odd. Are you using a good quality 1.5mm driver to tighten down the set screws, or a simple L type allen wrench? Try to get a hold of a quality allen driver where you can tighten the setscrew down really well without the fear of stripping the screw out.

Also, when you are building your universals, its very important to make sure the threads in the couple stay EXTREMELY clean. Any grease/oil that is in there will prevent the thread lock from ahearing the screw and coupler together, allowing it to back out fairly easily.

One last tip... If you have a dremel or a small file you can griind a flat spot on the pin itself for the setscrew to tighten onto. This allows the setscrew to have a little more grip on the pin, and also if the setscrew backs otu a tiny bit, the edges of the flatspot could possibly help retain the pin as well.

Give those a shot and see how that goes. I personally didn't see a big enough performance difference with the MIP CVD's over the stock universals. The stock universals have been great so far and I plan to continue to use them.

-Korey
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #15381
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Not only that, but the amount of added rotating mass. I prefer (in rc terms) universals to "cvds" because they seem to last longer, and in offroad, do not collect dirt and grime to wear down the components.

I think the difference you are seeing is due to manufacturing tolerances most likely with the 2 pics you shared.
I'm pretty sure you want a Cyclone Justin

"I got two words for ya... Come onnnn!!! Come ooooonnnnn!!!!!" -Peter Griffin

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #15382
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
I'm pretty sure you want a Cyclone Justin

"I got two words for ya... Come onnnn!!! Come ooooonnnnn!!!!!" -Peter Griffin

YGM
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #15383
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

racenut loves me.......see ya sometime soon bro. It's going to be a great season.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #15384
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
racenut loves me.......see ya sometime soon bro. It's going to be a great season.
No one loves you, and it would have been a great season for you if you would have kept your Cyclone.

Now go back to replacing your bearings in that tamiya, you have a B main to get ready for!!!

"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #15385
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
HAHAHAHAAAA...he don't love me!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #15386
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Wow.Whats with all the clutter on this thread?I will have to get Richard Pedro to come and regulate here too.

Should have kept the Cyclone.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #15387
Tech Champion

Man, I go to type a few PMs and come back to see all these shenanigans going on.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #15388
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
Wow.Whats with all the clutter on this thread?I will have to get Richard Pedro to come and regulate here too.

Should have kept the Cyclone.
You NEED to get another one...

I need company lapping STLNLST and his blue car.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #15389
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Man, I go to type a few PMs and come back to see all these shenanigans going on.
Shenanigans...wait 'til the Reedy! I'm sure you haven't seen anything yet...LOL

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #15390
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
Shenanigans...wait 'til the Reedy! I'm sure you haven't seen anything yet...LOL
I was at the 06 carpet nats in stockton... I know some of the shenanigans that go on LMAO.