R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #15316
Tech Adept

I bent a rear top bulk head last night and heard some xray may work. I did get it bent back though, the peice is straight and flat against the shock tower again should I still worry about tweak but I dont think it will be that noticable. What do you guys think?
Tulsa TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #15317
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa TC3 View Post
I bent a rear top bulk head last night and heard some xray may work. I did get it bent back though, the peice is straight and flat against the shock tower again should I still worry about tweak but I dont think it will be that noticable. What do you guys think?
Don't know whether the XRay is the exact fit. But to check yours, take the screws out of the bulkhead (both left and right sides and take the top links off the bulkheads too. See if the top bulkheads mounted on the shock tower sit perfectly flat on top of the bottom bulkheads. If you see any gaps at all, as you tighten the thing down it will put some unwanted stress or tweak into your chassis.
If there are some gaps and you cannot get it to sit perfectly flat, then as a stop-gap measure you can try to fill any gaps with really thin motor shims and put the screws through those... until your replacement bulkheads come in. I would recommend to get the replacement bulkheads anyway, and keep your bent and fixed ones as emergency spares.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #15318
Tech Adept

That is definetaly what I am going to do, it was just another "in a situation" type of questions to really just be able to finish out the night. I am having a hard time finding the different degree c-hub part number I can only ind 4deg. If anyone could help out that would be great I seem to break those more frequently now that I have the aluminum steering blocks.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #15319
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
That is definetaly what I am going to do, it was just another "in a situation" type of questions to really just be able to finish out the night. I am having a hard time finding the different degree c-hub part number I can only ind 4deg. If anyone could help out that would be great I seem to break those more frequently now that I have the aluminum steering blocks.
http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?cPa...sort=2a&page=8
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #15320
Tech Apprentice

Default Droop

Hi guys just a quick question.
I have always measured my droop on the outer step on the front wishbones but was just curious where you measure youres. I have asked some people at my club and they measure in the middle of the wishbone. Both of these areas to measure droop give totaly differant readings and i was wondering which reading to use. E.g u measure the droop at the middle in the front to 5mm and measure it on the outside and you get a reading of 7mm.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #15321
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
quite honestly, that makes perfect sense...

the force of the impact goes to the next "weakest" part - in this case, your C-hubs...

If you "upgraded" the C-HUb to aluminum, you would be breaking arms...

That's why its not always the best choice to replace a lot of suspension components with aluminum...plus then you have the "does this aluminum Chub/arm look bent to you?" issue
Old 02-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #15322
Tech Apprentice

Droop

I have always measured my droop on the outer step on the front wishbones but was just curious where you measure youres. I have asked some people at my club and they measure in the middle of the wishbone. Both of these areas to measure droop give totaly differant readings and i was wondering which reading to use. E.g u measure the droop at the middle in the front to 5mm and measure it on the outside and you get a reading of 7mm.

Anyone ????????
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #15323
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny123 View Post
Droop

The most common place to measure droop is under the center of the outer hinge pin.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #15324
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny123 View Post
Droop

Anyone ????????
If you take a look at the instruction manuals for either the WCE or the TC... they show measuring the droop under the outer hinge pin at the arm, and not at the C-hub or rear upright. That's the convention used on most other models as well, like the XRay and Associated.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #15325
Tech Elite

Most measure droop on the a-arm right under the outer hinge pin, not under the c-hub. Use a droop gauge to make sure left and right downstops are equal. Then to check the actual amount of droop. Measure how far above ride height before the tires leave the ground. A ride height gauge works fine for measuring the amount of uptravel.

If you have to raise the car to 7mm before the tires leave the ground and you're running at 5mm ride height. You have 2mm of droop.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #15326
Tech Adept

I am having a horrible time finding part numbers for my worlds edition. I am trying to get the numbers that hobby town uses so that they can stock them. I need C-hubs badly and the only ones they seem to get are the 4deg. someone help
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #15327
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am having a horrible time finding part numbers for my worlds edition. I am trying to get the numbers that hobby town uses so that they can stock them. I need C-hubs badly and the only ones they seem to get are the 4deg. someone help
Here are the HPI part #'s

73519 - 6 degree
73518 - 4 degree
73517 - 2 degree
73516 - 0 degree
Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #15328
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replys guys.

I have also noticed that my car has alot of steering chatter (the wheels wobbling and making a loud binding noise) Up until now i have lived with it but i dont want it to damage my servo. Any help or tips would be appriciated. What is causing the chatter and how can i get rid of it.

I have also noticed that my steering is limited by the car as the ackerman is limited because the ackerman touches the front left/right bulkheads on full lock. Is there a way to give me more steering lock/dual rate as the servo is drastically limited.

many thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #15329
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

This might happen fast here, but I posted in the WTB thread that I need a set of shocks and a diff. Trying to get my car set up for the GT class and I'm looking for a set of used shocks and a diff. Shocks that came with my car a crap and the diff was junk, don't have the $$ to buy new stuff right now. Anyone have some spares they would sell?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #15330
Tech Elite

jonny123:

Chatter at full lock while running a spool is normal. Losi and Xray have addressed this problem with double jointed CVDs to reduce the angle on a single joint. HB hasn't released any chatter proof CVDs yet.

Your steering bellcrank shouldn't touch the bulkheads. The front steering block should be contacting the c-hub at full lock. This is before the bellcrank would contact the bulkheads. You don't want to try and force any more steering past this point. Set your endpoints so your steering blocks just barely come in contact with the c-hubs. Then use you dual rate to reduce steering throw as needed.