RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #15212
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAce701 View Post
does any one have a VTA setup for the cyclone
Alex - let me write down what I have on my car right now...

I know for the HPI Challenge vintage class, I just ran the box setup
Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #15213
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I was wondering if anyone else has problems with the grub screw in the spur gear holder coming loose like every run!!!! even when using thread lock?

it is tightening down good and is not stripped...

This only happens when i run mod it is real badly anoying and has cost me in some races as the whole holder moved across then it stripped the spur etc....

Last edited by LOSI123; 02-01-2009 at 10:34 PM.
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #15214
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to deanomgwhiteguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has problems with the grub screw in the spur gear holder coming loose like every run!!!! even when using thread lock?

This only happens when i run mod it is real badly anoying and has cost me in some races as the whole holder moved across then it stripped the spur etc....
yeah bud mine kept commin out i lost about 4 grub screws from that and my spur got stripped aswell lol but its still usable.

i even tried wacking a grub screw ontop of the first one they still came out,
dan87 helped me out with mine he put blue locktight onto it and it hasnt came out yet. im only racing with a 27 turn brushed aswell
deanomgwhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #15215
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Use another grub screw on the other side of the spur gear holder? Although the other side of the shaft is not machined flat, it might still help.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #15216
Tech Elite

i now relize it may have been posible that the thread lock was not makeing its way down the holder to where it locks onto the centre shaft, as i was only putting thread lock onto the grub screw itself & its a fair way down of threads to lock down.

I found a longer M3 X 5mm grub screw and put thread lock on it and some down the hole. i will let it set for a few hours, and fingers crossed it doesnt come loose after 5 mins

Last edited by LOSI123; 02-02-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #15217
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to deanomgwhiteguy

Quote:
I found a longer 3mm grub screw and put thread lock on it and some down the hole. i will let it set for a few hours, and fingers crossed it doesnt come loose after 5 mins
tell us how that goes will ya
if it works and mine falls out again i mite have to try it
deanomgwhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #15218
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomgwhiteguy View Post
tell us how that goes will ya
if it works and mine falls out again i mite have to try it
No worries i will let you know, but it might not be for a couple of days, as i wont get a chance to run the car for a while
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #15219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
No worries i will let you know, but it might not be for a couple of days, as i wont get a chance to run the car for a while
Hi Guys,

Just replace it with a 3 x 8mm grub screw, apply threadlock to the thread of the grub screw only.

Last edited by Joehwee; 02-02-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Joehwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #15220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Guys

thanks all for the advice on front/rear wheelbase. Interesting perspectives, and very useful info. I know where I'm going now.

STLSNLT (sorry, I always butcher your alias...) yes grip is changing like crazy. different layout everyrace, 70+ racers, 30mn free practice, 1 controlled practice, 3 quals, 2 mains - the carpet loads itself up with traction compound hence laps end up more that 1s lower in the mains than in the qualifiers... that's on 12s laps

Saturday was raceday btw (every 3 wks - that's it for me I don't have a practice track anymore). The car was superb, I made the A-main in expert again, it hadn't happened for a few meetings now (I was becoming a regular top B-mainer). I still run the "old" cyclone (Hara Ed, 2 racing seasons now) and she made her daddy happy

I also run a 2y.o. Sphere TC... we run spec motors (10.5 Orion everyone, same gen for all) and some of the guys were noticeably faster than me in the straight, with similar gearings.... Fortunately one doesn't win a race in straight lines, but still, time to changes controllers, I guess

Thanks for the help,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 AM   #15221
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Cyclone TC for sale, 2 weeks old, built and raced at the Snowbird Nationals on carpet, it is as new. Has the aluminum front steering knuckles, extra of each belt new in package, 2 packages of extra arms, 1 package of front c hubs, and extra hinge pins, plus loose, new parts. Asking $325 delivered in the US. I will ship internationally, for cost. Also will consider reasonable offers. Please email me at kustomrcgraphics@aol.com
Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #15222
Tech Addict

Hi guys,

I would like to gear my car at 11.5 as a FDR with my WCE cyclone .

What would you guys recomend , im only concerned about the spur , because if i need a such low FDR it means that i need a tiny pinion so i need a big spur for the pinion to mesh but Im alredy with a 108 spur , so what would you guys recomend ??
Thanks
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #15223
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Hi guys,

I would like to gear my car at 11.5 as a FDR with my WCE cyclone .

What would you guys recomend , im only concerned about the spur , because if i need a such low FDR it means that i need a tiny pinion so i need a big spur for the pinion to mesh but Im alredy with a 108 spur , so what would you guys recomend ??
Thanks
I believe that the only way that you are going to be able to hit that gear ratio is to run a 110 or 112 spur. Both of those will have the spur hanging out of the bottom of the chassis unless you have the brushless motor mount. What motor are you running that you want a gear ratio in the 11's? Is it a brushless 4.5 motor? I use to run mine at 11.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Guys

thanks all for the advice on front/rear wheelbase. Interesting perspectives, and very useful info. I know where I'm going now.

STLSNLT (sorry, I always butcher your alias...) yes grip is changing like crazy. different layout everyrace, 70+ racers, 30mn free practice, 1 controlled practice, 3 quals, 2 mains - the carpet loads itself up with traction compound hence laps end up more that 1s lower in the mains than in the qualifiers... that's on 12s laps

Saturday was raceday btw (every 3 wks - that's it for me I don't have a practice track anymore). The car was superb, I made the A-main in expert again, it hadn't happened for a few meetings now (I was becoming a regular top B-mainer). I still run the "old" cyclone (Hara Ed, 2 racing seasons now) and she made her daddy happy

I also run a 2y.o. Sphere TC... we run spec motors (10.5 Orion everyone, same gen for all) and some of the guys were noticeably faster than me in the straight, with similar gearings.... Fortunately one doesn't win a race in straight lines, but still, time to changes controllers, I guess

Thanks for the help,
Paul

At the old carpet track we had out here what we did in the morning was just run our basic set up's and not really change it. In the morning the track didn't have too much grip and the car had a push. If we made adjustments to get more steering we would spin ourselves into the ground once the traction came up. In the mornings we would just basically learn the track layout and get ready for the 1st round of qualifying. Small adjustments were made during qualifying when the bite would come up but the set up pretty much stayed the same. This would be the case at every club race so you already knew what to do. Learning the layout is all that morning practice was for.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #15224
Tech Adept

Hello, I am currently looking for some explanations of roll center. I am still fairly new to RC racing and am trying to do things myself seeing I have picked my fair share of brains. I need some info on what to do if this happens and so on. I am running th WCE edition indoor carpet

-chris
Tulsa TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #15225
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa TC3 View Post
Hello, I am currently looking for some explanations of roll center. I am still fairly new to RC racing and am trying to do things myself seeing I have picked my fair share of brains. I need some info on what to do if this happens and so on. I am running th WCE edition indoor carpet

-chris
See Korey's post on camber link positions:
Hot Bodies Cyclone

In addition to camber links, you can space the pivot blocks up/down to adjust the roll center. Higher spacing rases the roll center, lower spacing lowers it. I find that a 0.5mm pivot block spacing creates a more dramatic change than a 0.5mm spacing on the upper camber link.