Wiki Posts
Search

Good 17.5T Brushless motors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrous36
Im looking at stock motors. Ive been hearing boosted thrown around for a while now. Is that what they call mod motors now(for brushless)? Or is mod and boosted two different things in the BL world?
With a brushless speed control you can program "timing" and "boost" into the the speed control. It pretty much allows your motor to rev past its normal points. Its like running a slower mod motor even though its 17.5. Its a really stupid video but there is a video on youtube of some kid playing around with a stock motor with a speed passion and then programs all sorts of boost into the speedo and it goes nuts. Roar here in a America has gotten rid of boost. Its not that common but I know in Australia they run Super Stock which is a boosted class.

Hope this helps some.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Regional Moderator

Thanks. That leads me to my next question. For ESCs who should I be looking at. Should I go for speedpassion or LRP?

I know LRP had good stuff in the past and I assume they do now.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks. That leads me to my next question. For ESCs who should I be looking at. Should I go for speedpassion or LRP?

I know LRP had good stuff in the past and I assume they do now.
Thats where I leave you to do your own research. I am a Tekin guy and have a hotwire myself. If your going to race what you have to ask yourself does the track run boosted or not? Then you need to ask how do I set this up. Most come without the tools to add boost and change settings. So look into the programmer for each speedo. Lastly I recommend reading stories of issues with the speed controls. Now I will be the first to say that be weary of some of the stories as they have a tendencie to pile together if you are looking for it so don't try to tally a failure rate yet tally a turn around rate if there is an issue. Tekin is usually the leader one of the reasons I went with Tekin. Speedpassion makes a great kit called the citrix that comes with a 13.5,17.5, or 10.5 motor for around 100 bucks. Lrp makes a combo kit as well. But the citrix wont have boost.

Viper makes an esc that comes with a programmer that was easy to use--mine went bad first night of racing returned for refund no problem
Tekin
Lrp
Speedpassion
Hobbywing
Novak--have heard of some issues no experience with RMA or returns

If you have a local hobby shop I recommend buying from them as they are usually going to be your local support if something goes wrong.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Really I have heard Orion is well off on power
I run boosted 17.5. Combined with the R10 pro my car is as fast as any HW/Tekin combo'd with Reedy/Novak/D3 at our track. All these combo's are within tenths on a hot lap and i experience no fade over 6 minutes. You really have to find the sweet spot for these motors but once you do they have great Rip and top end. FWIW the average gearing is around 5.8 on our track and my Orion is geared at 6.4 so there is quite a difference on how to make these motors work IMO.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JoeyE
Team Powers Plutonium 17.5 with 12.5mm rotor and ceramic bearings.
+1

won the reedy 17.5T class
Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have installed a 17.5 Novak Ballistic with the original GTB speed control.
Now im just club racing, not doing anything serious with my TA05.
Any of the 17.5 setups are good for club racing. Most people will chose Tekin or Viper thou depending how much thier car costs and how much money they have tied up in thier ride. If your running something expensive, then yeah I recommend something expensive.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
About .3.
Yep....
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Benzaah
I run boosted 17.5. Combined with the R10 pro my car is as fast as any HW/Tekin combo'd with Reedy/Novak/D3 at our track. All these combo's are within tenths on a hot lap and i experience no fade over 6 minutes. You really have to find the sweet spot for these motors but once you do they have great Rip and top end. FWIW the average gearing is around 5.8 on our track and my Orion is geared at 6.4 so there is quite a difference on how to make these motors work IMO.
Ahhhh gotcha. Cause we are running non-boosted where I am at and no one runs it in 17.5
Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonnydb
+1

won the reedy 17.5T class
James used the standard 12.3 rotor in his 17.5 Plutonium.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Advil
James used the standard 12.3 rotor in his 17.5 Plutonium.
A tad off topic but sorry did Cortes win 13.5 with a 12.3 rotor?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Well the track I plan to run the car at(Im building a TC6.1), dont run boosted. They dont run boosted/mod class(yet). Theyre planning to only run a blinky class for a while. But Id like the option to boost later if that becomes an option for me.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yeah I thought about Reedy. What abou team orion? They still putting out good motors?

Speedpassion is a new one to me. Ill have to look more into them. Are they bang for the buck? Im just getting into BL and lipo(very expensive) so not worried about mod class motors or adjustable advanced timing etc(yet). From what I read about brushless(if you like playing with timing) its better to adjust timing from the ESC than from the motor itself.
Im looking at stock motors. Ive been hearing boosted thrown around for a while now. Is that what they call mod motors now(for brushless)? Or is mod and boosted two different things in the BL world?
theres two types of 17.5 racing,( well that goes for all racing)BOOSTED and blinky, with BOOSTED racing you adjust motor timing with the esc, in blinky the esc timing is turned off and its all motor but you are allowed to play with motor timing. "boosted" esc timing is way faster then blinky "motor" timing.

basically, mod is open to all motor sizes boosted and non boosted, for instance last summer I ran a boosted 17.5 in the mod class and ran with the 5.5 non boosted guys just fine.

good luck and welcome back
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by skypilot
theres two types of 17.5 racing,( well that goes for all racing)BOOSTED and blinky, with BOOSTED racing you adjust motor timing with the esc, in blinky the esc timing is turned off and its all motor but you are allowed to play with motor timing. "boosted" esc timing is way faster then blinky "motor" timing.

basically, mod is open to all motor sizes boosted and non boosted, for instance last summer I ran a boosted 17.5 in the mod class and ran with the 5.5 non boosted guys just fine.

good luck and welcome back
Thanks. Let me ask this. Is there a such thing as "stock" or a stock class with BL anymore? Im guessing blinky = stock.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thanks. Let me ask this. Is there a such thing as "stock" or a stock class with BL anymore? Im guessing blinky = stock.
Most places "17.5 blinky"is the stock class. I ran the revtech in my xray T3'12 for a while then switched to thunder power. I think the thunder power has a little more power then the my rev did. The good thing about most motors these days is you can change the rotors to give several more tuning options.

Last edited by Jerz616; 06-10-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

17.5 is stock class now, then its up to your track wether they run 17.5 boosted or 17.5 Blinky.. regardless they are both considered "stock" class..

Anything lower than 17.5 is modified

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.