R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Spool,Diff,or One-way (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/63551-spool-diff-one-way.html)

RKeasler 02-17-2005 05:14 AM

Spool,Diff,or One-way

What factors determine what is the better way to go on a given track, just looking for opinions from all car owners, I drive a Losi FYI.

Chazz 02-17-2005 05:20 AM

A one-way is usually used on a fast flowing track were you don't need to use brakes. A spool and diff are used on medium/tight tracks where you need to use brakes (spool i think is like a one-way when you drive out of a corner).

Chazz

OVA 02-17-2005 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Chazz
A one-way is usually used on a fast flowing track were you don't need to use brakes. A spool and diff are used on medium/tight tracks where you need to use brakes (spool i think is like a one-way when you drive out of a corner).

Chazz

I agree..On carpet race losi goes better with the oneway on rubber tires..... the foam tires use the spool

ChadCapece 02-17-2005 07:10 PM

I should be asking you that question...hahaha...

Seriously,

Diff=best on dusty, bumpy, carpet, tight tracks

Spool=best on smooth, dusty, mix between tight and open asphalt tracks

One-way=best on clean, asphalt, smooth, flowing tracks

Hey Rod, I won't be going to Augusta this weekend, and I can't get a hold of Brian (we were riding together). If you hear from him, tell him I can't go, or ask him to email me. Thanks Chad

ChadCapece 02-17-2005 07:11 PM

I might have to break out the diff for the next CSS race. I drove Joey's FK w/ dual diffs and it was really stable. With alittle brake action, it just might be faster through the 180's and the infield.

RKeasler 02-18-2005 04:01 AM

No doubt that I will run a diff at CSS parts of the track are tight. I should be able to get the message to Brian.

imjonah 02-18-2005 05:49 AM

other differences

also people say

1. One way much harder to drive

(not sure if it is actually harder to drive or if it is harder to drive if you learned to drive with a diff)

2. People say spools are much more likely to cause damage to outdrives and drive sahfts.

Jon Kerr 02-18-2005 10:23 AM

Spools can be very hard on the front drive train of the car (CVD's, outdrives etc.) Generally, a one way will yield more overall steering and can be a little touchy to drive if you've never driven one. The reason for that is you have no front brakes. Only rear brakes will make the rear want to loop around quickly. Some guys are able to use very light brakes with a oneway but it's very hard to do. If there are braking sections on the track, generally a spool will be faster. Diff's are usually used on carpet. I'm doing some testing with a front diff this weekend. They tend to be a little pushy on power compared to a spool.

edseb 02-18-2005 12:34 PM

You can also run a spiff, which is a diff tightened down to be between a diff and spool. A lot of guys use them at races at the Tamiya track when one-ways are outlawed. They are exactly what you would think; somewhere inbetween both.

Jon Kerr 02-18-2005 02:31 PM

I've also run a really tight diff like you said Carl and they worked really well. But I've had trouble both with the Mi2 and when I used to run Losi breaking diff screws when I run it too tight. And not from impact either, under normal acceleration. It's like the diff tries to act but it's so tight something has to give.

ChadCapece 02-18-2005 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Jon Kerr
I've also run a really tight diff like you said Carl and they worked really well. But I've had trouble both with the Mi2 and when I used to run Losi breaking diff screws when I run it too tight. And not from impact either, under normal acceleration. It's like the diff tries to act but it's so tight something has to give.
Same here, I would break diff screws on my pro4 under normal acceleration.

ChadCapece 02-18-2005 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Jon Kerr
Spools can be very hard on the front drive train of the car (CVD's, outdrives etc.) Generally, a one way will yield more overall steering and can be a little touchy to drive if you've never driven one. The reason for that is you have no front brakes. Only rear brakes will make the rear want to loop around quickly. Some guys are able to use very light brakes with a oneway but it's very hard to do. If there are braking sections on the track, generally a spool will be faster. Diff's are usually used on carpet. I'm doing some testing with a front diff this weekend. They tend to be a little pushy on power compared to a spool.
I didn't tell Brian this, but I was using "light" brakes with the one-way last week. It helped the car rotate through the tight sections. I'll be using a diff from now on, since I don't feel like replacing 2 front driveshafts every week with a spool. The spool might be a little faster, but it eats up tires, bends cvd's, wears on the whole drivetrain, and spreads the out drives. I would use it if we have big races or when we go to TFB, but it just isn't worth the extra expense on a weekly basis.

RKeasler 02-19-2005 02:59 AM

I am also going to run my diff the same as my spool, with the smaller pulley gives me more steering all around. Anyone else try this?

Maltese Falcon 02-19-2005 03:38 AM

Spool,Diff,or One-way

I race at a quite technical track, & I tried a front oneway & never went back. I found the car has a lot more corner speed with a oneway.

pyrosian 02-19-2005 12:15 PM

From using my friends cars (i only run diffs) i have found the following:

Diff: Tight cornering, Four corner braking, doesn't put the power to ground effciently.

One-way: Slightly wider cornering (more push), only rear brakes (can make the car spin out if your not used to it), puts down gobs of power out of corners.

Spool: Widest cornering (fair amount of push), four corner brakes, lots of power out of corners.

As you can see they all have their weak spots, I tend to run diffs because they suit my driving style, spools i don't find too bad but with oneways i find my "peg the throttle to the corner and slam the breaks" approach means i lose control to often. A more fliud motion is needed where you let off the throttle early and drive through the corner.

Just my 2c