USVTA Woes

Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
We just started running VTA class down here in Lakeland florida at our carpet track and I can't even begin to tell you how much fun we have been having. We are in the hotbed of some of the best drivers this state has and the competition can get hot and heavy at times so a few of us decided to give this class a try just to get back to having fun. We started out with three of us which grew to seven the next week and hear that four or five more are being built just because of all the laughing and yahooing they hear coming from the drivers stand. We stick strictly to the USVTA rules you guys have worked so hard on and get a few grummbles about the one motor deal, but after racing with us they see why that was the right choice to go with to keep it even and heads up racing for everybody. So if you ever want to come down to Florida for some fun racing Darkside, just drop me a line and we will save a pit spot for ya.
I'll second what Rich said. Never had so much fun having my a$$ kicked. Now Rich, Dave and I need to get our Associated cars dialed in so we don't have to listen to Danny screaming "Sakura" all night long
Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HenryC
I'll second what Rich said. Never had so much fun having my a$$ kicked. Now Rich, Dave and I need to get our Associated cars dialed in so we don't have to listen to Danny screaming "Sakura" all night long
The last 2 posts here deserve a big ol' thumbs up ! Welcome to usvta guys !
Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

+1
Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So if you ever want to come down to Florida for some fun racing Darkside, just drop me a line and we will save a pit spot for ya.
Stop in Tunnel Hill on your way to FL Myron. I need a ride down there.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

its very possible, but not until after the .........

2012 U.S.VTA+ SOUTHERN NATIONALS IN MUSIC CITY, USA

DATE:
Sept 21st-23rd

PLACE:
Thunder RC Raceway 810 Cherokee Ave Nashville, TN 37207

TROPHY:
1st-10th Amain 1st in lower mains and TQ

RULES:
FULL USVTA AND USGT

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

ROAR

ENTRY: $35 first class, $15 second class, Jr VTA $10
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

We just started running VTA class down here in Lakeland florida at our carpet track and I can't even begin to tell you how much fun we have been having. We are in the hotbed of some of the best drivers this state has and the competition can get hot and heavy at times so a few of us decided to give this class a try just to get back to having fun. We started out with three of us which grew to seven the next week and hear that four or five more are being built just because of all the laughing and yahooing they hear coming from the drivers stand. We stick strictly to the USVTA rules you guys have worked so hard on and get a few grummbles about the one motor deal, but after racing with us they see why that was the right choice to go with to keep it even and heads up racing for everybody. So if you ever want to come down to Florida for some fun racing Darkside, just drop me a line and we will save a pit spot for ya.
Which is the scheduled race day for VTA at FLRC? Heard you guys were starting the class over there and checked the track site last week but did not see it listed on the schedule/class lineup yet. I've assumed it would likely be Sundays. Guess I should have called Dave. Too bad I've already committed this weekends kitchen pass and will be just across town Saturday at A-dale for the Super Late Model race.

FUN! Say it isn't so.
What's this world coming to?
There's no fun in R/C racing! We can't have that kind of language here. Who'll be left throw their radio, stomp off the drivers stand or holler at turn marshalls?!!!

Sorry to see that this thread has gone all over the map as it has. For most all of us, it's a hobby and we hope to have some fun racing toy cars and spending time with our friends. I've been on both sides of the fence, racer and race official, whether it's big cars or little, keeping us racers happy is next to impossible. For whatever reason that we might like the rules or not, at least appreciate the job that has been done. Rob, Myron and certainly others behind the scenes have worked hard to provide a stable platform to equalized the equipment and expense in this equation so we are relying more on our setup and driving talent. Some of you have a little more talent than some of us on the lesser side of the scale but for myself, if I can still manage a little grin at the end of the day, it's all good.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Geno-Machino
Which is the scheduled race day for VTA at FLRC? Heard you guys were starting the class over there and checked the track site last week but did not see it listed on the schedule/class lineup yet. I've assumed it would likely be Sundays. Guess I should have called Dave. Too bad I've already committed this weekends kitchen pass and will be just across town Saturday at A-dale for the Super Late Model race.

FUN! Say it isn't so.
What's this world coming to?
There's no fun in R/C racing! We can't have that kind of language here. Who'll be left throw their radio, stomp off the drivers stand or holler at turn marshalls?!!!

Sorry to see that this thread has gone all over the map as it has. For most all of us, it's a hobby and we hope to have some fun racing toy cars and spending time with our friends. I've been on both sides of the fence, racer and race official, whether it's big cars or little, keeping us racers happy is next to impossible. For whatever reason that we might like the rules or not, at least appreciate the job that has been done. Rob, Myron and certainly others behind the scenes have worked hard to provide a stable platform to equalized the equipment and expense in this equation so we are relying more on our setup and driving talent. Some of you have a little more talent than some of us on the lesser side of the scale but for myself, if I can still manage a little grin at the end of the day, it's all good.
Well said ! I'm 47 yrs old , and admit that my reflexes are not what they use to be.
I like the rules as they are. RobK, Myron and others do a great job evaluating the esc's and making good decisions on weather they are legal for our class.
I had shelved touring cars until I found usvta. I am glad to see others enjoying the class. Lets all get it together and help it flourish.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Which is the scheduled race day for VTA at FLRC? Heard you guys were starting the class over there and checked the track site last week but did not see it listed on the schedule/class lineup yet. I've assumed it would likely be Sundays.
We have been running VTA on Sunday as well as Wednesday night.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Usually the first and third sunday of each month we have club races. Yea Henry I think I got sumtin for that sakura this week. Went and did my homework on this thing. Runnin the region 4 championships this weekend, they invited the vta class to run as an option class this year so thought I would give it a shot.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Usually the first and third sunday of each month we have club races. Yea Henry I think I got sumtin for that sakura this week. Went and did my homework on this thing. Runnin the region 4 championships this weekend, they invited the vta class to run as an option class this year so thought I would give it a shot.
Rich can't wait to meet you all at the region 4race
We have a great bunch of palmbay guys that also follow
The USVTA rules and we are having a blast doing it
We begged George to run this class at the last summer series race
And he had so much fun watching us have fun with this class at his track
That this is what it turned into guess that means were doing something
Worth watching lol
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds good, perhaps after the Sunshine Tour oval race in Daytona. A buddy is wanting to run his WGT too so a road trip may be in the future.

I've only raced oval at FLRC. Remebering the size of the track area and a little from when Ron was changing the track over post race, I'm thinking it will need a little taller gear. What FDR should a baseline the car at, 4.0 or a little different?

Let's also switch this back to the main thread.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

What is FLRC? Might be back in Florida in a few months, and I'm enjoying VTA a lot.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I have been busy moving and neglecting this thread. Just trying to catch up...

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I have read every post on this thread since the very beginning. It only took 16+ pages of your dislikes to get me to the point of posting about your observations of factory variences.

I'm not telling you what you can like or dislike, thats you're right and you can post it all you want. I just wanted you to look at the situation a different way. I am a little dissapointed that you would assume that I only read the last page though.

And I still respect your opinion.
To be fair, my 16 pages of dislikes can be boiled down to 2 things, wanting ANY other option for a motor, and a short derail in the beginning requesting that people actually provide helpful answers in the main VTA thread. The rest was reiterating the same thing for people who cannot/chose not to read (not refering to you). I agree, all manufacturers have those variances, which is why I wonder why VTA is exclusive to Novak? If it is a crapshoot out of the box, why can't the box be someone elses? I talked to Myron, and I understand the reasoning from his side, and we have just agreed to disagree. I run a Novak motor because I like VTA more then I dislike Novak. I run a Cirtix ESC because I dislike Novak more then I dislike being slower then everyone using Novak ESC's.

I of course still respect yours, not only here, but for all the help you have provided on the S411 thread.

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
local at my track

Total win. To all of those who say nothing good has come out of this thread, these pics prove you wrong!

Sorry to see that this thread has gone all over the map as it has. For most all of us, it's a hobby and we hope to have some fun racing toy cars and spending time with our friends.
I disagree. This thread going all over the map is exactly what discussions like this should do. Other then a few instances here and there, it has been a rather civil and well intentioned discussion.

This being a hobby is why it is important to many people. This is where we spend our hard earned money and where we spend our time by choice for entertainment. I can't control Al Gore blaming me for global warming, the coming apocalypse in December, or male pattern baldness. I can control where I spend my free time and dollars, and I can contribute to the community discussions about those things.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

SAKURA! 3TIMES IN A ROW
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Okay, I read all of this and agree it boils down to Novak and their products. I'm a newbie as my handle suggests. I've been in this for only a few months. USVTA is what hooked me. I saw the HPI Camaro at the LHS and thought, this is too COOL! I had recently got a pair of Traxxas Stampedes for my son and I to bash and thought racing would be cool. So did my son.

The guys at my LHS were very helpful and pointed me to the USVTA website and fixed me up with the right stuff to make our cars legal. They also have a track every other Sunday in the parking lot outside of the store.

The only trouble I have ever had with my Novak ESC is if the battery is a 20C, it sometimes will cog without warning. I started using 30C Venom 5000mAh packs and the problem went away. Novak states that less than 25C isn't supported so apparently there is something to this. Others at the track have had issues with their controllers requiring warranty replacement, but the two I have purchased for myself and son work just fine. No trouble with the motors either. We also have a USGT class at our track, which I may race in at some point.

The rules aren't the problem. The class has great appeal, especially to us "old guys" as we are racing the cars we grew up with. Once some other equipment meets the spec and gets approved, those who have been put off might return.

The people here and at the track have been very kind and helpful. I'm learning by leaps and bounds. The whining and bickering in the forums is not unique to this hobby. It has not put me off the class or hobby yet. In fact, I'm building a chassis to race in other classes as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.