Wiki Posts
Search

USVTA Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hexonox
I want to personally thank Darkside for his visit and our long talk into the wee morning hours. As always his pesence is welcomed. We'll see you soon, and maybe even in VTA trim....
Woot! Does that mean we might get to see the 1450g car with the 18,760g body show itself again?

More importantly, do i have to give back those sweet green wheels?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

I believe there IS a need for this thread as a place to vent frustations and an attempt to resolve issues within the VTA community and to keep our vents OFF of the main USVTA thread. The main USVTA thread should be kept to HELP out those whom seek guidance and WE as a comminty NEED to give that advice WITHOUT criticism and all the negativity. WE need this class to grow in order for it to survive and maintain.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Woot! Does that mean we might get to see the 1450g car with the 18,760g body show itself again?

More importantly, do i have to give back those sweet green wheels?
Keep the wheels ..........IF and when I do come back; I'll dye some new ones. And as I said they were a house warming present!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

I am very tempted to order one of those Speed Passion esc's
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I want to personally thank Darkside for his visit and our long talk into the wee morning hours. As always his pesence is welcomed. We'll see you soon, and maybe even in VTA trim....
WOW!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Keep the wheels ..........IF and when I do come back; I'll dye some new ones. And as I said they were a house warming present!!!
Woo! When you go to dye more, let me know, i'll toss some more white wheels your way. I like the color combo!

Almost no adjustability, but I have the programmer if you need (all it does is drag brake), but you also saw Daniel going nuts over his settings on his Novak too.

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny
WOW!
Just think, there will be someone out there NOT trying to take me out! Now if Chad comes back, then we are all doomed!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
What I am saying is maybe you should read the entire thread before trying to call me out on one post on page 16... The point remains, if you can have a 7k+ variance in RPM and 500+ in KV, I would like to see another motor option, or have Novak work on their quality control.

It is obvious. But either way, I can dislike Novak quality in the same way I dislike Tekin quality. That's the cool thing, everyone can believe exactly what they want to. As you did not read the rest of the thread, I also complimented their customer service and mentioned that I have not personally had a Novak failure, but I have seen more then my share of them.

I dislike Novak products, but I like VTA more then that dislike.
I have read every post on this thread since the very beginning. It only took 16+ pages of your dislikes to get me to the point of posting about your observations of factory variences.
Since I use their products, the biggest item I have seen is when people re-assemble the motors and don't get the can aligned up properly, thus making a good more less than desirable, enough to make one think that they have a dud motor. My self included....The again I have also seen this with other motors as well, so its not a NOVAK exclusive.

I guess if everyone is running NOVAK the chances of seeing NOVAK failures would be high, if you had a mixed group of speed controls I'm pretty sure everyone could potentially have problems. You have all makes of speed controls suffering from brown outs, silent failures, software issues, cogging, etc,etc,etc. Afterall we are only trying to stuff a computer into a 1 inch square box, run it up and down carpet with a bunch of static, or thru water and mud, or at extreme temperatures....and then also have anyone with a computer plug into them and manipulate the software with no real background other than they want to go faster. Just saying we aren't the only ones exclusive to speed control failures........and no one can control how they get used or installed either.

Locally, here, we have had one person who had 3 speed controls of the same make that 2 of them didn't work out of the box. The 3rd one works fine. Things happen.

I'm not telling you what you can like or dislike, thats you're right and you can post it all you want. I just wanted you to look at the situation a different way. I am a little dissapointed that you would assume that I only read the last page though.

Also I don't run USVTA, the reason.....the series I run in doesn't follow the actual USVTA rules.......but thats for another thread.

And I still respect your opinion.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know. Im tempted to grab one just in case. Look at that price.

On another note. I am using a Mongoose refurb and and I love the thing. I like the whole aesthetic of it. Like the different colored lights all layed out and glowing through the semitransparent case. I just like the look and feel of it. Plus it does its job perfectly and has monster brakes. I mean if you are behind me and I decide to feed you the a)) end of my car, open up. Of course everyone is welcome to like or not like whatever they wish but I'm just sayin.

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Also I don't run USVTA, the reason.....the series I run in doesn't follow the actual USVTA rules........
I dont know your circumstance but at the ROAR Nats the official USVTA cars did very well stuffing it to the ROAR cars.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

local at my track

Old 06-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have to agree with th OP. You should be able to buy one speedo to race any class. This rules seems a bit counter productive to me. If I want to move the 17T later I have to spend even more money in what is already a expensive hobby.

Then there's the open gear ratio which I think has ruined the class. It has got all too serious if you ask me. Any big race should have anti cheat measures in place anyway and as far as the club level who cares. I got out as soon as I realized I spent $145 and could not return it. I've not been back since.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Because you dont want people to find out what rc car racing is really about? A bunch of old grown men crying and whining? Or would you rather someone spends 500-600$ to find that out?
Oh I have to agree, then the atmosphere in racing seems so serious and uninviting. Looks like no one is having fun at all. Competition is a big fun killer. Keeping the serious racers out of it and make it max 3.0 gear ratio.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
I have to agree with th OP. You should be able to buy one speedo to race any class. This rules seems a bit counter productive to me. If I want to move the 17T later I have to spend even more money in what is already a expensive hobby.

Then there's the open gear ratio which I think has ruined the class. It has got all too serious if you ask me. Any big race should have anti cheat measures in place anyway and as far as the club level who cares. I got out as soon as I realized I spent $145 and could not return it. I've not been back since.
With all the big races moving to non-boosted anyway the ESC you use in VTA could also be used in 17.5 sedan, WGT or even 12th scale. We ave several guys at our track that use the Novak edge in classes other then VTA. Actually these guys don't even run VTA and are the faster guys in the other classes. So with the boost changes happening the VTA ESC's are more flexible now.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

a. before I used the LRP SXX v2 in 17.5 TC, I was using my GTB2 and Havok Pro. And was still top 3 anyday. And I race with "A" main racers every weekend that take TC very serious, while I dont. I got a deal on the LRP and started running it in TC. I put my GTB2 in my VTA car and the Havok Pro is in my VTA backup car. With blinky stock racing, all the legal US VTA esc's are up to par with any other form of racing except boost. As a matter of fact the GTB2 is great for mod even. Also the USVTA list is tops...like I said before. Every ROAR VTA race Ive been to and some I havent, the legal US VTA car/driver wins...even top 5. And thats against Tekins,LRP's Black Dimonds and all the other blinky's....no magic or Dragon blood in the ESC's wires...lol

b. an open fdr is a life savior for techs...next you can gear to the moon and take that chance if you like, me Ill run right by you at the 6 min mark cause your car is so hot that its slowing down cause of the heat. Ive seen guys run 3.3-3.5 on a track Im at 3.7-4.0...and the results are the same...they come off at 180 degs, Im at 90 degs.. Im making my victory lap. People are going to try whats legal to get a win...some are willing to go to the extreme, some are happy just to be able to get out the house and race. You make your own poison...I like to win, but will not give up my fun for it. Or extra money. BTW, what you spend $145 on?

Oh I have to agree, then the atmosphere in racing seems so serious and uninviting. Looks like no one is having fun at all. Competition is a big fun killer. Keeping the serious racers out of it and make it max 3.0 gear ratio.
Well I dont about anybody you race with, but I do the Hobby for fun Period. Racing is fine , but if I aint having fun, work or home is on the menu. I hear more laughter in USVTA than anything. If your locals are not having fun, let me know and Ill make a visit, BTW, where do you race?

Originally Posted by Jerz616
With all the big races moving to non-boosted anyway the ESC you use in VTA could also be used in 17.5 sedan, WGT or even 12th scale. We ave several guys at our track that use the Novak edge in classes other then VTA. Actually these guys don't even run VTA and are the faster guys in the other classes. So with the boost changes happening the VTA ESC's are more flexible now.
+1

I said I wasnt going to add to this thread anymore(500 mile road trip...lol)..but today is Fathers Day and Im sitting here hooking up and testing ESC's for the purpose of this wonderful class.

Ill open up and say that if you truly have an idea or concern, please pm me or call...and it will get looked at, that doesnt mean it will be in your favor, but it will be looked at serious

Thanks and lets get back to racing and the US VTA thread
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I kind of like the idea of a VTA "Tech" thread and a "race announcement" thread, as the real VTA thread has turned into....
that way if you get mad and quit when people ask for new stuff to be legal you won't know as you only read the race announce thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We just started running VTA class down here in Lakeland florida at our carpet track and I can't even begin to tell you how much fun we have been having. We are in the hotbed of some of the best drivers this state has and the competition can get hot and heavy at times so a few of us decided to give this class a try just to get back to having fun. We started out with three of us which grew to seven the next week and hear that four or five more are being built just because of all the laughing and yahooing they hear coming from the drivers stand. We stick strictly to the USVTA rules you guys have worked so hard on and get a few grummbles about the one motor deal, but after racing with us they see why that was the right choice to go with to keep it even and heads up racing for everybody. So if you ever want to come down to Florida for some fun racing Darkside, just drop me a line and we will save a pit spot for ya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.