Wiki Posts
Search

USVTA Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
And in that case, since there is no membership fee, and I am not coming down to your track to run your races .
Ummmm...you have run at our track and helped run a little VTA.

Btw you did a good job too.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

I'm waiting for this thread to morph into the "batteries, wings, tires, etc ..." discussion. THATS when things really get interesting !!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trytowin
I'm waiting for this thread to morph into the "batteries, wings, tires, etc ..." discussion. THATS when things really get interesting !!
Lol. If someone starts complaining about that then we do have big issues. I think I have my citrix backup plan. You guys are so in trouble this winter. Mainly cause I'm sure I will hit you until I'm back on my game.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Lol. If someone starts complaining about that then we do have big issues. I think I have my citrix backup plan. You guys are so in trouble this winter. Mainly cause I'm sure I will hit you until I'm back on my game.
DOH! Not my new body....what a hack....lmao
Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
Ok, I received this message from Bob at Associated:

"Hi Rob,

LRP zero has timing capabilities
... as do all LRP's current esc's.

On the zero, the second mode (power mode) must be set to zero to get no timing. Then the set LED will flash red.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bob Stellflue
Senior Design Engineer
Associated Electrics, Inc."

So unfortunately, the SPX Zero cannot be allowed at this time.
Thank you very much for looking into this. Hopefully they will consider making a speed control you can approve in the near future.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For real I wish they would make a legal program for the thing, update it and then saw off the port and sell it like that.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trytowin
Don't throw gas on the fire. ALL of those discussions have come up and will undoubtedly come up again. Different time my friend.....different time.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adamska27
It is and has been true of all motors ever period. I remember brushed motor handout days OMG the things we did LMAO
People are still doing it, and they are doing it in VTA. The point is, with such a huge variation in Novak motors, why are other brands not legal? When I say huge, I mean 500+ KV and 7k+ RPM differences. And that is from my very minimal testing (about an hour with 2 motors + 1 stator and some shimming).

It's that obnoxious implication you make that somehow the Novak PR department is up to shenanigans that brings you such feedback.
The was to infer I was being sarcastic. I know Myron is not a vampire hunter as well... at least i think...

IMO the only change I think would be helpful to USVTA guidelines would maybe be a change to min weight as parts keep getting smaller/lighter and the less the car weighs the less motor advantage can be gained by the better motor.
The weight is what helps limit the chassis advantage. A TC3 with a couple aluminum upgrades and a reinforced body = 1550. I added a lot of weight to my S411, but that is part of the equalizing factor. I chose this chassis for other reasons, but the weight I think is something important when it comes to being a spec class if you are not going to limit the chassis.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
For real I wish they would make a legal program for the thing, update it and then saw off the port and sell it like that.
Really... What would it take for a company like Tekin or LRP to take one of their existing boards, lock in a non-timing profile, scale back / simplify the design to reduce costs, and bring a spec only speed control to market in the $100 range? They could even source it to some Chinese company and impose their own QC standards. They would sell plenty of them. Seems they've collectively decided to allow Novak to dominate this segment. As much as this question has been brought up, I'm still scratching my head at how we haven't seen some new products from different companies to meet this need. I do hope they catch up soon so we can see an end to the "I don't like to run Novak" argument at least in the speed control area. Personally, I do like Novak. Around 25 years in this hobby I've owned dozens of Novak products and never had a problem with any of them. But I also respect that people want choices, so it would be nice to see some different manufacturers offer a few. Speed Passion is doing it's part, so how about a few more...
Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Really... What would it take for a company like Tekin or LRP to take one of their existing boards, lock in a non-timing profile, scale back / simplify the design to reduce costs, and bring a spec only speed control to market in the $100 range? They could even source it to some Chinese company and impose their own QC standards. They would sell plenty of them. Seems they've collectively decided to allow Novak to dominate this segment. As much as this question has been brought up, I'm still scratching my head at how we haven't seen some new products from different companies to meet this need. I do hope they catch up soon so we can see an end to the "I don't like to run Novak" argument at least in the speed control area. Personally, I do like Novak. Around 25 years in this hobby I've owned dozens of Novak products and never had a problem with any of them. But I also respect that people want choices, so it would be nice to see some different manufacturers offer a few. Speed Passion is doing it's part, so how about a few more...
+1
Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I don't think any of us are really taking this that personally, but I will defend the honor of the company that birthed this class that will give noobs a field to play on. I think we all want to grow the sport.
Of course Novak doesnt want to let anyone in on what is possibly one of the largest on road classes by letting them use other manufacturers equipment. Its just good business to keep everyone else out like a monopoly.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
I know Myron is not a vampire hunter as well... at least i think...
Of course Myron's not a Vampire hunter, He's vampire
Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Of course Novak doesnt want to let anyone in on what is possibly one of the largest on road classes by letting them use other manufacturers equipment. Its just good business to keep everyone else out like a monopoly.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
It's the reward that Novak deserves for making the products for a niche segment. They invested money and time into the USVTA program.

The point of the motor discussion is that there will always be an advantage to be gained via money and time in the motor dept. However with the traction level down, those extra rpm will be wasted unless the setup is there too. And even if a guy has motor on you and you both have good setups one mistake driving will take care of any motor shortage.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Really... What would it take for a company like Tekin or LRP to take one of their existing boards, lock in a non-timing profile, scale back / simplify the design to reduce costs, and bring a spec only speed control to market in the $100 range? They could even source it to some Chinese company and impose their own QC standards. They would sell plenty of them. Seems they've collectively decided to allow Novak to dominate this segment.
Bingo, anyone can pull an ESC out of their you know where for this segment. I love how people are saying they want to run product x when the manufacturer doesn't care about the USVTA segment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.