Community
Wiki Posts
Search

stripped out screws

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Default stripped out screws

I bought a used bmi tc3 through this forum and two of the screws holding the top deck are stripped out, leaving me with no way to remove the top deck.
any ideas on removing the screws besides drilling them?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Initiate

use a cutting wheel on a dremmel to cut a slot in them, and then use a regular screwdriver.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

thanks... yeah that will work great once I have the money to buy a dremmel... :-)
Old 02-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

i use a 3/32 drill bit make a hole in the center of the screw head (not all the way through like 1/4 of the way) then I use a ez-out bit and remove the screw. Dont know if you know what an ez-out is but it works on a backward thread principal. As you turn the bit left the loosen the screw the bit dig its way into the screw tighter and tighter untill the screw breaks free. There pritty cheep and you can get them in any auto parts store, or sears, for a couple of bucks ..... I never like to use a dremel cause if ya like me you run the risk of marking up the chassis Hope that helps. Good luck!!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

If you have a cheap L-key allen wrench, put it in the stripped hole, and apply heat to it with a soldering iron. You can then melt some solder into the hole, hopefully giving the L-key enough leverage to remove the screw.

Josh
Old 02-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the way i usually rmove broken screws is to drill the head until it just pops off and then just take the rest of the screw out with a set of needlenose.the screw will come out very easy unless it has been put in with lock tight.if all else fails and it doesnt come out.just let me know and i will send you a new standoff and screws.not a big deal buddy
Old 02-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

thanks for all the help...
I'm probably going to try the dremmel route first..

thanks for the offer Jason.... and ygpm..
Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

This may sound odd, but it's true, and i know because i bought it for my dad a while back.

You can get a battery powered dremel from home depot or lowes that is meant for cleaning golf shoes (i'm serious, my dad is a golfer, comes with a metal brush wheel).

It's only like 10 bucks and just get the right cutting wheel for another 2 bucks.
You arent going to be able to cut anything major with it, but it will easily grind a slot in a screw.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Speedo
If you have a cheap L-key allen wrench, put it in the stripped hole, and apply heat to it with a soldering iron. You can then melt some solder into the hole, hopefully giving the L-key enough leverage to remove the screw.

Josh
that is such a great idea! ill use it on my stripped grub screw in my pinion gear!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Stripped threads

Heres a tip. If you have stripped pieces of plastic like tranny case screws or something like that. They make 4-40 heli-coils that work great. When I was on a budget I had all of my lower chassis screws heli-coiled. As for the stripped head I usually will try cutting a slot in the head and then use a screw driver if there is enough clearance if not I drill the head off like protc3 does and use a pair of pliers.