Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity duo3.5 new motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Yes it is. The crazy part are the tolerances of the rotors and stators aren't very far apart. So what you pull off a shelf can be just as fast as the one the "pro"s pull out of a box.
I would like to think that but who knows. I was geared at a 3.88 and 20* on the motor running blinky at it was scary fast. Great motors. I have always ran trinity stuff so it shouldn't be a surprise.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
If you truly believe that, I got some Lake Front in Arizona that I'd like to sell you!!!
Considering I was working with Jim Dieter for a few weeks on testing rotors and stators yep! My off the shelf 17.5 purchased from Superior Hobbies tested better than than almost all his motors. My 13.5 purchased from EA Motorsports actually tested better than the motors he was giving out. If you watched the race my 13.5 didn't need one more ounce of power for the class. You do understand that the winner of the 17.5 class wasn't running a Dieter motor either right?

I used to say the same thing about motors. I truly thought that there was no way I would have the horsepower that those other guys would have. I kept up or was passing some of them on the straight no problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If you truly believe that, I got some Lake Front in Arizona that I'd like to sell you!!!
Sorry but this is simply not true... Yes, you sometimes get a bad motor and sometimes you can get a very good motor... But the fact is most of the motors the pros have are the very same motor you can purchase. What to do with the motor and how well your setup and skills are... well that is a different issue...

I'm with Nolan... Jim tested my motor and felt it was VERY good... (Thanks to another EA motor...)
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Sorry but this is simply not true... Yes, you sometimes get a bad motor and sometimes you can get a very good motor... But the fact is most of the motors the pros have are the very same motor you can purchase. What to do with the motor and how well your setup and skills are... well that is a different issue...

I'm with Nolan... Jim tested my motor and felt it was VERY good... (Thanks to another EA motor...)
Max Kuenning won the 2012 1/12th 17.5 Carpet Nats with a store bought Trinity D3
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Hey guys what FDR would be reccomended for a 70x30 carpet track. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
Hey guys what FDR would be reccomended for a 70x30 carpet track. Thanks.
For what motor?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein
For what motor?
haha im a bonehead lol ...ya 17.5 blinky class
Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theatriks
haha im a bonehead lol ...ya 17.5 blinky class
I'd start around a 4.2 range. Check temps, straight speed, and accel.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Exactly!!! "EA" re-done the motor...didn't come from Trinity hot out of the box is my point! A motor that comes right from the manufacturer shouldn't have to be re-done by someone else to make it better. JMO!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Exactly!!! "EA" re-done the motor...didn't come from Trinity hot out of the box is my point! A motor that comes right from the manufacturer shouldn't have to be re-done by someone else to make it better. JMO!
So what about the one from Superior hobbies which was just as fast down the straight as anyone else? What's your excuse there?

What do you think that EA does to these motors? I know he tests the stator and rotor. But do you really think that EA grabs all the motors and goes boy that Nolan kid placed an order I know I have never met him and its his first order with me but boy. I'm gonna build a super motor for him? No. once again he just tests them and puts them back together.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

So what about the one from Superior hobbies which was just as fast down the straight as anyone else? What's your excuse there?

What do you think that EA does to these motors? I know he tests the stator and rotor. But do you really think that EA grabs all the motors and goes boy that Nolan kid placed an order I know I have never met him and its his first order with me but boy. I'm gonna build a super motor for him? No. once again he just tests them and puts them back together.
All motors can be fast in a straight line! So the point I'm trying to make is...would you go to Roush, Hendricks, etc. and buy a race engine then take it to Joe Nemechek to have it re-done??? C'mon Man!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

All motors can be fast in a straight line! So the point I'm trying to make is...would you go to Roush, Hendricks, etc. and buy a race engine then take it to Joe Nemechek to have it re-done??? C'mon Man!!!
I think your missing what I am saying to. Go buy any shelf motor and any shelf HT rotor. Install said rotor into motor with proper movement. Turn up timing. Set FDR. Now the odds of you being able to keep up with anyone at the Nationals is going to be 99%. I do agree with Barry that there are going to be a few instances where the motor just isn't as good. But they are far and few between. Oh they Gray 12.5 broadband is a good one too.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bought a motor, once upon a time, and the gauss ( strength ) of the rotor was just over half of what it was supposed to be. Lucky I had invested in a $200 rotor tester so I knew that the motor I had was going to be a dud unless I changed the brand new rotor out. So at the absolute VERY least, EA, Fantom, Brood, etc, provide a valuable and inexpensive quality control check that doesn't appear to happen at some assembly lines ( ehem, cough cough ). Past that, its nice to receive the stator inductance and dyno results to ensure the stator and sensor board are functional. And shimmed for best possible performance.

Jake D.

p.s. At a different time I also bought an off the shelf New in Bag tuning rotor that was WAY off the mark. Go figure.....
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
I bought a motor, once upon a time, and the gauss ( strength ) of the rotor was just over half of what it was supposed to be. Lucky I had invested in a $200 rotor tester so I knew that the motor I had was going to be a dud unless I changed the brand new rotor out. So at the absolute VERY least, EA, Fantom, Brood, etc, provide a valuable quality control check that doesn't appear to happen at some assembly lines ( ehem, cough cough ). Past that, its nice to receive the stator inductance and dyno results to ensure the stator and sensor board are functional. And shimmed for best possible performance.

Jake D.
I fully agree on that statement. The odds of that are less though. I have gotten crappy motors and it sucks.

My only comment is that if you truly feel that your motor is the only reason that somone beats you there is a bigger issue.
Go buy one of Trinity's new 5% D3.5 motors. Its the top 5% of all D3.5 motors so no questions asked if your slow its your setup.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I fully agree on that statement. The odds of that are less though. I have gotten crappy motors and it sucks.

My only comment is that if you truly feel that your motor is the only reason that somone beats you there is a bigger issue.
Go buy one of Trinity's new 5% D3.5 motors. Its the top 5% of all D3.5 motors so no questions asked if your slow its your setup.
The 5% comment is incorrect. They ate NOT checking fully assembled motors at this time. They are only checking the stators that they order individually. Usually they will only order a hundred of each or so at a time so if they are pulling the top 5% that's only 5 stators every 100. The motors are not being touched.

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.