Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's better - open or closed ball cups

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default What's better - open or closed ball cups

Hey guys just curious to get feed back on what's better out of open or closed ball cups?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I have a preference for open cups. I've had closed cups pop off before, I've never had an open cup come off. Also, I can snap any of my closed cups on and off with just my fingers. I have to get the tools out to insert a ball into the open cups.

Good question though. I look forward to seeing what others have to say.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've been wondering this too.

I would think open for long term durability. Because you can unscrew the ball rather then pop off the ballcup. So you wouldn't wear the ballcup as fast?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd rather wear out a ballcup than the threads on the hub or whatever the the ball is screwed into. EVery time you tighten that ball back in you're risking stripping the threads in the plastic. Ball cups are cheap and easy to replace, compared to a new rear hub or shock tower. I guess it depends on the vehicle and what the parts are made of as well.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It doesn't really matter to me, as even it the ball cup is closed I'll ream a hole in the top so the hex wrench can go through. Whatever the solution, they need to match side to side (mainly for aesthetics) and need to hold well without bind.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What I like about my Losi is that all of the ballstuds are threaded all of the way through so I can run a very short countersunk screw on the exposed side of the open rod end that eliminates any possibility of it popping off.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have run both in my cars. I prefer the open cups. I have had closed cups come off before, but never any open ones. I also like that i can put the wrench through and makes removing certain suspension components easier in my opinion (however im not unscrewing ends screwed into plastic hubs). I have upgraded both of my TC5s to the open TC6 cups and it has made life much easier! I think they are a great buy!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

been using team magic open ballcups on all my cars for a bit and i love them. never pop off and minimal slop.
they do require slightly larger ballsstuds though. i replaced all my ae ones with tm and did away with most of the slop i was used to with the stock ones.